Calypso-E34

Anyone got a bit of love for old Fords?

Speaking to a mate earlier and got talking about old Fords and he mentioned the Capri 2.8i Special he had, he said he spent a fortune tuning the engine and fitting uprated suspension before eventually selling it for £800..... 

.........and the guy that bought it off him ran it until the tax ran out and then left it rot in a field....

.....Which reminds of those two XR4i's I scrapped about ten years ago. :sad:

5 minutes ago, coolhand9 said:

Love the car but that interior should have stayed in the 80's!

I like it! My Uncle had a 3.0s with an interior like that but in red.

Guy I used to work with had or still has a chopped Mk1 Cortina with a 3.1 V6 in it.. I really need to contact him..

Oh and how comes we can remember reg numbers. Here are my dads old cars

GPL195C was my dads old Zodiac

SME678M was his Consul/Granada

Can't for the life of me remember my old Zephyr 4 plate, or Granada or Lancia's .. I can just about remember the cars in our household now

Edited by Blobby

I think the pick of the crop in the 60s was the Lotus Cortina, or the sales reps wet dream as it was known.  You had made it if your company would let you have one.

Straight 4 twin overhead cam and all of 1557cc,  that green body stripe set you apart from the pack.  There is a mark 2 1967  on the Bay now for only £20K  But if that's not scary enough for you check Slades Garage in Exchange and Mart where you will find a nut and bolt restoration full race jobbie in red with a gold stripe for a mere £79,950.  :o:o:o

ford-cortina-lotus-mk-i-saloon-1963-79950_image2_w800h600_400.jpg

Edited by oldjohnny
error

24 minutes ago, Blobby said:

Oh and how comes we can remember reg numbers. Here are my dads old cars

GPL195C was my dads old Zodiac

SME678M was his Consul/Granada

380 RRT my dads Hillman Imp. Nearly 50 years ago but I still remember it.

LEW 469H was my Dad's Zodiac - bought on the 31st August 1973, when I was eight. How in God's name can I remember that and yet I can't remember where I put my car keys half the time?! The previous car was a 1962 Victor FB, PEG 947. Two days after we'd bought the Zodiac, the Victor was on the garage forecourt from where we'd bought the Zodiac - more economical in that oil crisis time, y'see and it was rot-free, too... unlike the Zodiac, which already had crumbling Mazak indicators and reverse lights!

Edited by e60neindanke
Punctuation correction.

Many thanks Whiskychaser

I have stood just inches from many of these beasties on the Circuit Of Ireland Rally over the years and had forgotten how the resonance from the exhaust note could be felt literally clean through your willie!  :P

Ex Works Capri with Essex V6 based Cosworth GAA, 450bhp @ 9000rpm.....

Edited by Sarnie

6 hours ago, Piper said:

Cosworth RS500.

Nuff said.

Yes. But can 'the resonance from the exhaust note ..be felt literally clean through your willie'?   :P

1 hour ago, whiskychaser said:

Yes. But can 'the resonance from the exhaust note ..be felt literally clean through your willie'?   :P

Where are you sticking your willy? 

:shock: 

Hmmm, just come across a very rare beast indeed (if the guy who owns it is to be believed) I dropped the wife's car to a friend of my bro-in-law's garage for servicing and whilst there I noticed the arse-end of a white Capri sticking out from under a tarp in the corner of his workshop.

On enquiring I was informed this was a 2.0 John Player Special model and sure enough it had the proper gold stripes and JPS insignia . I said I thought they only came in black but again was informed there was a limited edition in white. I can't find anything on line to confirm that. The tax disc suggests it was last on the road in 1981 and the guy he bought it from just stuck it in a garage when the tax expired and forgot about it. He wouldn't tell me how much he paid for it, but the owner reckons even in it's somewhat dilapidated state it's worth about £20K!

According to wikipedia:

"Ford introduced the John Player Special limited edition, (known as the JPS) in March 1975. Available only in black or white, the JPS featured yards of gold pinstriping to mimic the Formula 1 livery, gold-coloured wheels, and a bespoke upgraded interior of beige cloth and carpet trimmed with black"

JPS would probably be banned today on account of tobacco advertising. Remember when Formula 1 racing cars was awash with tobacco sponsorship, Marlborough, Embassy, Rothmans to name a few.

Colin Chapman's John Player Special did look good though.

Bensons and hedges sponsored cricket too. tobacco advertising was everywhere - the big bill board on my way to school always had various silk cut adverts - quite clever some of them.

The tamiya 959 was supplied in rothmans livery but said racing instead of rothmans as a work around if i recall.

On 7/1/2018 at 3:11 AM, Sarnie said:

Ex Works Capri with Essex V6 based Cosworth GAA, 450bhp @ 9000rpm.....

8900 RPM from a Ford V6 :o