Sign in to follow this  
Fezzy16v

F30 330d Question...

Well I picked her up this morning from BMW in Manchester, what a beauty she is in Estoril Blue, 330d M Sport.  I have a question though.....under medium to hard acceleration, I can hear what I can only describe as a loud wooshing/blowing noise from the engine.  The car performs absolutely fine, no flat spots, roughness or anything to give me concern.  However I cant help but think that this noise isnt normal.  Under gentle acceleration you cant hear it but put your foot down and its very noticeable.

Any ideas?

13 minutes ago, jharar said:

I’m sure it’s the Turbo whistling..

Its not a whistle it’s more of a loud whooshing noise....could it be a leak somewhere?

52 minutes ago, Fezzy16v said:

Its not a whistle it’s more of a loud whooshing noise....could it be a leak somewhere?

Any boost pipes come off by accident, or any holes/splits etc?

13 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Any boost pipes come off by accident, or any holes/splits etc?

Im going to speak to the dealer on Monday and get it booked in just to check all the hoses/pipes etc.  Im thinking if their was a hole, performance would be rough? Maybe its been tuned im thinking...

Ita completely normal, a few recent 5er 3.0d owners have asked and its just the noise of compressed air and turbo. All the standard higher tuned models do it. 

Most noticable next to concrete walls when the sound can reflect. 

2 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Ita completely normal, a few recent 5er 3.0d owners have asked and its just the noise of compressed air and turbo. All the standard higher tuned models do it. 

Correct.

3 hours ago, SuperDave said:

If their was a leak somewhere would it result in the car running rough? It is really loud though that’s what got me wondering what it was...

On 6/3/2018 at 10:11 AM, Fezzy16v said:

If their was a leak somewhere would it result in the car running rough? It is really loud though that’s what got me wondering what it was...

Jesus....

5 min back in a BMW and you already want it to have a problem :rolleyes: 

3 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

Jesus....

5 min back in a BMW and you already want it to have a problem :rolleyes: 

Not at all but after spending over £15k on a car I need to make sure it’s running right? I thought that’s what this forum was about....getting advice and solving problems?

1 hour ago, Fezzy16v said:

Not at all but after spending over £15k on a car I need to make sure it’s running right? I thought that’s what this forum was about....getting advice and solving problems?

But you where all for taking it back the dealer today, for what is just an induction noise....

sometimes I hear the turbo on my 320d but not always, so the first thing I do is panic when I can’t hear it..... ;) 

30 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

But you where all for taking it back the dealer today, for what is just an induction noise....

sometimes I hear the turbo on my 320d but not always, so the first thing I do is panic when I can’t hear it..... ;) 

Thats fair enough but my E350 didn’t make any such noise neither have any of my other diesels in the past....you can’t hear any turbo whistle it’s just a loud blowing noise

I'd be much more concerned with whether or when the EGR cooler/inlet pipe will crack or develop a leak... not to worry you or anything.

The 2l diesels had a silent recall but poor old 3l owners just seem to have to suck it up (literally in some cases).

BTW that generally doesn't make a noise, just ends up stinking the cabin out with diesel fumes on a cold start day or leaking coolant back into the engine.:-D

5 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

I'd be much more concerned with whether or when the EGR cooler/inlet pipe will crack or develop a leak... not to worry you or anything.

The 2l diesels had a silent recall but poor old 3l owners just seem to have to suck it up (literally in some cases).

BTW that generally doesn't make a noise, just ends up stinking the cabin out with diesel fumes on a cold start day or leaking coolant back into the engine.:-D

Ahh well it’s under a BMW used car warranty so I’m not too worried about that. Can these engines take abuse? Not that I’m into thrashing my cars all the time but it’s nice to give it the beans every now and then

Define abuse? Not changing the oil often enough and redlining from cold? Won't end well.

Using engine as designed ( when warm) then of course you can. Its not made of chocolate.

1 hour ago, SuperDave said:

Define abuse? Not changing the oil often enough and redlining from cold? Won't end well.

Using engine as designed ( when warm) then of course you can. Its not made of chocolate.

Maybe abuse was the wrong term.  My cars are always upto temperature before id consider driving them hard.  My question is, these 3 litre diesel units are pretty robust?  Thankfully, I cant find very much online about problems with them.  Anyways, thank you and I am glad to be back in the BMW fold my friends

1 hour ago, Fezzy16v said:

Maybe abuse was the wrong term.  My cars are always upto temperature before id consider driving them hard.  My question is, these 3 litre diesel units are pretty robust?  Thankfully, I cant find very much online about problems with them.  Anyways, thank you and I am glad to be back in the BMW fold my friends

The N57 engine takes the abuse well. Many are running north of 400BHP without any issues at all. They're robust. EGR coolers and sometimes the odd timing chain, but apart from that, they're a solid engine really. Very few have major issues.

Fit a dump valve, then you'll have a whistle to accompany your whoosh :D

Edited by pauliexjr

Well my hunch was right. I took it into my local bmw dealer last week. One of the technicians had a look at it. He opened the bonnet, told me to give it some gas. His response was ‘I don’t even need to give it a test drive as that high pitched noise isn’t right.’ It’s therefore booked in to get checked over.

Iv also noticed on the motorway at 65MPH plus I can hear a rumbling noise. At first I thought it was just the run flats but my mates car, almost identical has no such noise.

I also noticed this morning when I started it from cold, I could smell fumes inside the car. Something else I’m going to mention to them.

Im a tad pissed off as you would think the car would have had a thorough road test to check any potential issues. Let’s hope they sort it otherwise they can have the car back..

Edited by Fezzy16v

57 minutes ago, roofer said:

So much for pre sale check. Back it.

No such thing. Used car dealers are all the same. Full of shit