Busterbvi

Dust free brake pads

Is anyone aware of dust free brake pads available in UK, these are catching on in the States and some states are compulsory.

If anyone has tried them, are they any good ?

I ran greenstuff pads on my old E36 several years ago. I suppose they would be available for the E39. They were more prone to squealing than standard pads, but I understand that they solved that issue with an updated compound not long after I got mine. I'd certainly be happy to buy them again.

Thanks Tuvoc, I'm posting the question because I am tired of cleaning brake dust off my wheels twice a week !

Dust free? My arse....

A good clean and then wax of your alloys will make cleaning them much easier. I do this and my wheels are clean with just a simple power wash... However, I do wash my car weekly, so they're generally clean anyways!

I've used EBC Redstuff and Yellowstuff on my cars; find both very good indeed. Had Yellowstuff on my previous 530i and was very impressed; Redstuff on my E38 before that and they were great too. Redstuff on quite a few Honda's and MG ZTs and great also.

I've always gone for grooved / C Hook discs though; so they do produce more dust than standard blank discs...

I'm currently using Mtec's own brake pads currently with their grooved discs and I'm finding them to be very good indeed. As good as Redstuff, but not as biting as Yellowstuff. They're also hell of a lot cheaper than EBC pads too, so that's been a big bonus!

EBCs pads are very good now; but TBH I wouldn't go for Greenstuff; may as well save money and buy Mintex or similar etc... For better braking bite; good discs with the Redstuff at a minimum (or the Mtec pads) and I'd highly recommend HEL braided lines; they give a much better feel to the braking...

Posi-quiet. From Amazon.

put them on our 525i - brilliant. They dont feel as good, but work as well. Just less initial bite.

On 6/3/2018 at 6:03 PM, RichardP said:

Carbotech Bobcat1521.

What are these like for dust ?

I've used them on my E26 as the wheels are very difficult to clean inside due to the rough cast texture, I'd say the amount of dust is about 5-10% of the OEM pads.

Edited by RichardP

IMO @Busterbvi you'll be chasing your tail looking for brake dust free pads... They way they work; they're always going to make dust!

A good clean of the alloy inside and out, a good, hard-wearing and well-lasting wax will make life so much easier when it comes to cleaning alloys and using a decent alloy wheel cleaning brush, one that will reach right through, will always make them look mega-clean too! ;) 

Blank discs and decent pads will give off less dust; more aggressive discs (grooved, C/J Hook and drilled) with pads will give more dust due to their design etc

It's just something that you live with!

The guys over on bimmerforums rate the ATE ceramic pads with decent blank discs, ATE discs are good too, so maybe look down that route :) Can be found on eBay via German resellers

Yes they all wear down, so produce some "dust". But the types of pads here have different compound so the "dust" is different.... My EBCs did not produce black dust for example.

I can't remeber the last time I washed our E39 wheels... with the stock pads, it used to take a week, before they required decent cleaning. I'd say it would take an entire year or more to create the same dust with the posi-quiets.

Our E39 probably gets washed about 4 times a year, and I no longer wash the wheels in between :-)

On 6/4/2018 at 7:03 PM, RichardP said:

I've used them on my E26 as the wheels are very difficult to clean inside due to the rough cast texture, I'd say the amount of dust is about 5-10% of the OEM pads.

Where did you buy these Richard, have read a few reviews on M5board and although expensive they sound very impressive. Can’t really find any decent info online which is unusual.

I installed the EBC Ultimax 2 pads a week ago and done over 1k miles on them, not a speck of dust, good bite, no noise and braking is better than the OEM pads that came out.

I have put the wheel cleaning brushes away ! well pleased with these pads. Highly recommended. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by Busterbvi