Andyrt200

Suspension overhaul / eBay kits

We have been nursing our 530i Touring MSport about for quite a long time, just for occasional use. The rear feels horrible, very twichy, it’s done just over 180k now so a full refresh of most things at the rear seems like a good idea. 

I will do the brake pipes at the same time I have waxed them a few times but my better half wants to start using the E39 a lot more again, it a much nicer car than any of the modern company cars she has been forced use over the last few years!

I had to replace the air bags & accumulators recently, the new accumulators are under the smaller bit of floor in the boot at the moment but they stop that bit from sitting down flush so I hope with the suspension in bits I will be able to squeeze the accumulators back in where they should be. Even with all new kit the suspension still saggs when left but lots of checking points to a leaky valve body. 

I was thinking of doing the sub frame bushes at the same time, but would anyone recommend just doing all the arms / ball joints first to see how it feels? 

I see there is a wide range of kits on eBay with all the arms / ball joints for the rear, some say OE quality but non say who the actual manufacturer is. Should I keep well away from them? I don’t want to go putting on substandard parts that are going to fail again all too soon. 

The front feels ok, but there is a light knocking noise over bumps so I will investigate that while under the car. 

We just took it out for one last long drive before starting the work & were reminded there is also a wining noise at 60mph+ that seems to be coming from the left rear so I’m guessing a wheel bearing (hopefully not the diff!). 

For stuff like this; stick with Meyle or Lemforder and nothing less

Both C3BMW and BMWmotormec are trusted resellers via eBay; so find the parts you need (and their numbers) via RealOEM and then use eBay to search for those parts and try to buy via either of those 2 resellers mentioned

The rear twitchiness is more than likely the rear upper arms failing; but it could be other things as well. Front knocks more than likely drop links or top mounts, but again, could be other parts or them all together! 

It's best really to get the car up on the ramps; get all the suspension checked over and pry-barred to see what's got play in it and then replace from there. The same for the wheel bearings; it'll soon show what it is when up on ramps etc

Thanks, yes the rubbers on the upper arms look totally gone so, they will be getting replaced for sure. Good point checking the rest though, I guess there isn’t much point replacing bits that aren’t broken, even less points in replacing them with inferior parts! 

1 hour ago, Andyrt200 said:

Thanks, yes the rubbers on the upper arms look totally gone so, they will be getting replaced for sure. Good point checking the rest though, I guess there isn’t much point replacing bits that aren’t broken, even less points in replacing them with inferior parts! 

This issue with these cars is they're like the Forth Road Bridge; once you start, it feels like it's never-ending!

Deffo replace the worn parts; but take into the consideration that other local parts, may as well be replaced, whilst it's all apart, as it'll save in labour in the long-run, but you also know it's all been refreshed at the same time etc

I'd personally advise using poly mounts for the ARB bushes; front and rear (can be found on eBay; they're not Powerflex though, so cheaper but do the same job) and leave everything else OEM spec rubber for a better, more compliant drive :) 

Suspension is a bit like the cooling system on these cars; deffo not bad, far from it, but can be an achilles heel once things start to fail

Sorry my email decided the notifications were junk. 

Funny you mention the cooling system, the pump went not long ago! It seems fine with the new one though, I was a little worried...

Yes I’ve had poly bushes on other cars & wouldn’t want them on a daily driver. The some I had used mild steel inserts which rusted in no time, that wore the poly away & I had knocking joints very quickly!

ARB bushes sound good though, thanks! 

I will very likely end up changing most if all while its in bits as you said. 

Yeah; the ARB bushes are fine, but I'd not replace the other bushes with Powerflex or similar; would be too hard for a road going car

A few previous Honda's were fully poly bushed and they were entertaining, to say the least, on bumpy roads! Alas, they were road going track and B road toys really! 

I’d seen those too, I was wondering what the difference was with that HD (heavy duty) kit over a normal one, I’m assuming in the rubbers. 

There seem to be quite a few Meyle kits for the front, but non for the rear! 

9 hours ago, trenchy24 said:

I've been eyeing up this ebay listing for mine... 

Meyle HD Front arms

What do you reckon Dan?

Looks about everything you need; have you priced the parts up individually though to see if the price is around the right ballpark?

Make sure it's for the diesels too, not just petrol etc

21 minutes ago, chicaneuk said:

The listing does seem to claim it's basically for all models except the V8's.

Should be fine than :)

I know that most of 525D stuff fits the petrol E39s, but some of the 530D stuff is difference. But not knowing the diesels, I'm not overly sure which parts...

TBH; if I were to be doing a suspension overall; I'd be looking to change the top mounts as well, may as well whilst it's all coming apart :) 

14 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

FYI; these are the front ARB bushes I used

Thanks that link, I used some of their bushes to fix a friends Fiesta rear beam for them, they were certainly a good fit, they have been happy with them for the year they have been on. 

The Meyle stuff is good ive used it and no problems years later.

The HD vs non-HD - it's just some items are HD (the main arms and arb links) and some are not. You don't have to worry about should I get HD or not

I wanted a nice clean under side to work on

870ePDh.jpg

The snow foam was rubbish, but the power washer removed most of the muck. 

Dan was quite right:

PVOEcqM.jpg

Front drop link gone, should take care of knocking from front. 

Most of the rear has had it

VT7xw12.jpg

J2cV2SY.jpg

Myyf4Vb.jpg

All was new stuff is on order for that lot. 

I’m just making up some new copper brake pipes at the mo, I was pleased to find BMW kindly put some connections under the drivers feet (hidden behind that cover panel that is hanging down)

7W5SzIR.jpg

That saves me the bother of having to flare the steel pipe! 

It seems silly to put in new hard brake lines & leave the old rubber hose to the calipers. I put the part number from ETK in eBay but again got a massive number of different makes, any suggestions for a good one for them? There was no Lemforder or Meyle. 

The sub frame bushes look shot too so I found some one selling  lemforder I ones they didn’t get round to fitting before writing off their 540, I just need to find a tool to fit them now...

You have got a lots of work there good luck...

Have you thought about braided brake hoses instead of rubber ones?

Check out this ebay listing  number 401380215528

It is good time to check for rust too... 

If you want braided brake lines, go for HEL.

Theyre stainless all round and very well made. c£80 delivered and can be found on eBay 

Here you go, ignore the model, they’re all the same. Gone up a touch too, still the best imo

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEL-PERFORMANCE-Braided-Brake-Lines-For-BMW-5-SERIES-E39-M5-99-03/332485805835?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW|Plat_Gen%3AE39&epid=654018440&hash=item4d69b2c70b:g:-RAAAOSwQiRUrGmC

Edited by d_a_n1979

Wow that old stuff looks shot!!!

When I did my rear end I couldn't really see visually the damage to the old parts, but it still transformed the car - the rear end going from a bit vague and unpredictable to totally planted! Yours is gonna be absolutely night and day - will be well worth the effort!

11 hours ago, amazighman said:

It is good time to check for rust too... 

I’m loving the BMW build quality, on this car at least, I wasn’t so impressed with the F13 we had for a bit!

The full arch liners in the rear wheel arches a lovely to take out & find it all fresh behind. I have a WRX Scooby wagon of exactly the age (2002) but I haven’t used it yet, my jack went though the rusty steel subframe the first time I tried jacking it up. When it was up there were big holes in the rear wheel arches & other places, it’s done far less miles than the E39 too!

G5cQBuH.jpg

This is the worst of the rust under the E39, just one of the sub frame mounts, I had waxed it last time I was under but will paint it properly this time. 

VOSEZLx.jpg

Not really related but this is where the new accumulators have been living for the last year or so, they almost fit, but needed that bit of wood to keep the panel above from hitting them. I can get them in the correct place easily now though. 

Thanks for all the links, 

I’ll check them out, I did put braded hoses on our other cars...

37 minutes ago, The Flying Banana said:

off topic but I am liking that jack type thing you have there ! Where did you get that

https://www.cjautos.eu/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=CL01

The E39 is a bit heavy for it really so it needs to go more to one end, even then it was hard work getting it up, it was too hard for my drill so I had to do it by hand. The link bars needed new holes to get the lift platforms under the E39 chassis rails but it does get it nice & high up.  The main point that annoyed me was that you still need axle stands under the car before properly working on it (I didn’t bother when just power washing from a distance outside). But I did used to find it was a pain finding some where to put a normal jack that would leave the proper jacking points clear for axle stands, so it’s good for that at least...

@Andyrt200 - I had a similar jack for my Integra DC5, no way as heavy as the E39, but I never felt safe with it TBH. A great idea, but just didn't feel 'right' with a large car on it!

I did try to use it to get the rear of my old E38 up, but it was too big

Still prefer to use a decent high-lift trolley jack and axle stands

On 6/12/2018 at 10:40 AM, The Flying Banana said:

you would actually think that is a better place fro the accumulators to sit .. keeps them clean and dry instead of underneath car !

The same thought crossed my mind! But I guess its for safety, when the old one burst it was a heck of a bang! Judging from the amount of rusty water sprayed all over the under side they rust from the inside out as much out side in. You are meant to drain the tank on your compressor regularly, there is no way for the water to get out of the accumulators. I think there is supposed to be a dryer in the pump but mine didn’t work!

On closer inspection all the subframe mounts had rust creeping under the stone chip paint, the worst was the inside of the front mount behind the fuel filler neck, the harded bit to get at! 

ejSCBOy.jpg

Still it’s only surface rust & its all cleaned up & painted now 

WGQJ28Q.jpg

If anyone is making their own brake pipes:

c3NJ42G.jpg

Use the tool on the left, they are available on eBay just by  searching for brake pipe flaring tool. The one on the right was rubbish!

A rhetorically question as I don’t actually need to get the upright off but how do you get the handbrake cable out?!

fD2g9Qw.jpg

It seems the rubber bellows type seal on the end is jamming it in the hole & stopping it pulling through. 

I bought a tool so got the ball joint out ok, spot the difference!

ehvgoQL.jpg

I think even my mum would be able to feel the difference in replacing those!