PeterL

F10 M5 Purchase or Not - What to look for

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather at the moment and making the most of it.  I have been running my E39 M5 as my daily drive for the last 10 years and love her to bits but the time has come for a change and after much thought I would like to go for an F10 M5 (bloody M division has made me an addict).  Having not driven one or even knowing what I am looking at with regard to  the options list, DCT, impact on price of interior colours etc I have a few questions and am looking for some advice.

I Have heard that you should go for a 2014 car due to transmission problems prior to this, what are there differences between 2014 and pre 2014 - True or False

Are all F10's DCT?

Was there a recall on the battery and if this wasn't done can it still be changed - How do I even know the battery has been changed?

Cant confirm this but some people have reported heavy oil usage, what have you guys heard?

A warranty is a must but as with all things there will be some good and some bad - can you let me know if you have had good warranty companies please and names?

Is there anything you have heard?

looking at the classifieds I think my budget should get me into a 2013/14 

You input is invaluable as it will help me find the right car or go for something totally different (X6 M50d, RS4 but these have their issues).  Looking forward to reading your replies.

September 2013 on are facelift cars. They have an updated steering wheel, a different front grille and slightly different rear lights. All F10 M5’s are DCT unless you are in the US who had a manual option. 

People have different ideas about options, I like the multifunction seats and the 20” wheels, surround view is useful and folding rear seats make the car much more practical. I don’t really see the point of soft close doors or a powered boot lid but each to their own. 

There were some reports of early cars (2010-2013) having steering vibrations and there are also a few instances of injector failure. I think most cars had battery replacements when serviced. Mine used to drink a bit of oil but now at 30k miles it doesn’t seem to use very much at all. 

I have the BMW warranty, it’s about £80 a month which covers everything, there is an excess of £250. I think you can get a cheaper driveline only warranty though. A serious driveline failure will write the car off so definitely worth having. 

It is the best car I have ever driven, you won’t be disappointed. 

wow I like your list of cars.  Did you buy your car from BMW and if not how did you get a BMW warranty.

Yes, I’ve owned it from new. The warranty is, or at least was transferable. If not I’m sure you can start one yourself, the car does need to have full BMW service history in order to qualify though. I did query whether it needed to be serviced by BMW in order to remain valid, they told me that it needed to be serviced to BMW’s schedule, not necessarily by BMW. I’m not sure how well that would hold up in the case of a major claim though. I’m sure there are plenty of cars for sale with the extended warranty. 

Drive one first!

Compared to the e39 M5 they're big cars (turning circle makes the size most noticeable). Gearbox/clutches are an acquired taste, the initial couple of inches of response on the throttle pedal when pulling away is a bit bizarre.

I have seen quite a lot of the early ones have had to have new engines fitted anyone have any idea why this is happening? 

I looked into this and the oil pump and injectors weren't up to the job.  It looks like there was a recall and most of these cars should be good now.  I hope I didn't imagine that.

11 hours ago, PeterL said:

I looked into this and the oil pump and injectors weren't up to the job.  It looks like there was a recall and most of these cars should be good now.  I hope I didn't imagine that.

I’m also looking into buying one but for this reason it’s scaring me off. My budget won’t allow me to get a facelift so if this is the case and it has been rectified that would be good to know as I can keep looking and make sure the above work has already been carried out. 

yeh the oil pump was a recall cars that went before the recall had new engines, i'm looking at getting one this time next year and i've been doing alot of research. 

Robsey I am literally looking every day at F10’s let me know your budget and I can send you links to ones I find.

19 hours ago, Grizzle_E60 said:

yeh the oil pump was a recall cars that went before the recall had new engines, i'm looking at getting one this time next year and i've been doing alot of research. 

Thanks for clearing that up. Is the gearbox serviceable I.e can you get bits for them if needed or is it like the e60 box where you can’t get many bits to rebuild the box. Also do you know if rod bearings are a issue. 

18 hours ago, PeterL said:

Robsey I am literally looking every day at F10’s let me know your budget and I can send you links to ones I find.

Thanks peterl  but I’m on the case too checking every day on eBay autotrader piston heads etc so very unlikely I’ve missed much. Are you looking for a facelift model or pre? 

I am looking at cars around 35K maybe a bit more for the right one, if a face-lift fits in there then that would be good.

4 hours ago, PeterL said:

I am looking at cars around 35K maybe a bit more for the right one, if a face-lift fits in there then that would be good.

At 35k you will have no problem my budget is a lot less then that I may hold out till they have  depreciated  a bit more now the new m5 is due out I suspect the prices will drop quite a bit.