Sign in to follow this  
18zi

spare wheel for staggered F07

Hi

I just had my P0 RFTs replaced by Michelin PS4S and the ride is so much better. I'm planning a trip in France for 2 weeks in the summer and just wondering how I should prepare for the trip. I did a trip last summer to France then Germany on the RFTs but didn't think too much about spare wheel. While I was looking at changing to normal tyres the discussions led me to wondering if I should get a spare for long trips especially when out of UK.

I now have 2 Holts tyre weld in the boot and will get an inflator too, but would I be better off to get a spare wheel for EU trips? If so, would you recommend a space saver or same size wheel from the 5GT? I have the 8.5J front and 10J rear setup I assume I need the front and could also be used at rear temporarily?

Thanks for any advices/comments.

The Tire Mobility kit is a wise addition - compressor with gunk all neatly in a bag. Use compressor only or with gunk should you get a flat. Picked one up over here having moved my F11 onto Micky CrossClimate+

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=5K12-EUR-09-2013-F11N-BMW-530d&diagId=71_0976

On 5/30/2018 at 5:11 PM, 535i Andrew said:

You can buy space savers from fleabay. You wouldn't want to take a full size front as a spare as even in a GT it would take up a load of space.

A front rim would always fit a rear.

Thanks, I was considering full size front wheel as in the situation if the front blow I can still travel at full speed when hundreds miles away but the space saver have to be limited at speed. But that's only helpful if it's the front, if it's rear then I guess I'm still limited on the speed?

I'm getting a roof box too so space is not very tight when traveling.

On 5/30/2018 at 6:39 PM, HandyAndy_UK said:

The Tire Mobility kit is a wise addition - compressor with gunk all neatly in a bag. Use compressor only or with gunk should you get a flat. Picked one up over here having moved my F11 onto Micky CrossClimate+

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=5K12-EUR-09-2013-F11N-BMW-530d&diagId=71_0976

I was under the impression that some of the tyre repair kit actually damage the tyres so I went for the tyre weld which supposedly can be washed off for repair. I just need to get myself a decent inflator.

You may find most tyre places will refuse to repair a tyre that's had any liquid/foam/gell product used just in case it's had some effect on the casing which potentially may see them as liable should the repaired tyre subsequently fail. Regardless of any genuine risk, it may just come down to what their insurance permits or recommends.