Theo_33

BMW 535D 2010 or facelift 2012

Hi,can anybody shed some light on the facelift matter,as it is very hard to any posts out there,i’m trying to find out if worth paying more for a 535d facelift(2012) or get a 535d 2010 which is cheaper,are there any big differences in performance,options,suspension,i-drive, i know the gearbox is the same with the adaptive dampers,any info would be much appreciated

Thank a lot!!

You will find the answers on here for sure!!

I'm not 100% on the specs but i'm sure you get better mpg aswell - average 46 -50 odd bhp wise i think it's 299 - 313 aswell. 

Face lift is after a 2012 model.  Later 2013 are facelifted I think.

Facelifted is just that, mostly cosmetic tweaks, ///M wing badges on MSport models and side repeaters are wing mirror mounted. Headlights went to standard Xenons at facelift.

The oily bits, suspension and brakes are all the same. You got a few more options to choose from. Gearbox has the ability to change more than one gear like 4th to 6th without going thru 5th and if sports auto, holding down the down shifter will change down multiple gears without having to individually flick down thru all the gears.

Most 535ds tend to be decent specked cars so a pre facelifted model most likely will have Xenons anyway.

If you can push for the LCI I'd go for it LCI was post Summer 2013. Appearance wise, you get slimmer LED tubes in the rear taillights and the front bumper is slightly remodelled if you go for a non-MSport car. Msport bumpers were unchanged in the LCI.

You mention Adaptive Dampers, these were an option on all F10/F11 cars and not a very popular one so you'll struggle to find a car so equipped.

All LCI cars have the NBT iDrive as opposed to the previous CIC iDrive. NBT is faster but the CIC is by no means a poor man's iDrive. Bluetooth audio streaming and a USB connection became a standard feature whereas you had to specify Enhanced Bluetooth to get that on the Pre-LCI cars.

All cars post LCI were fitted with Business Nav (6.5" screen) as standard.

All post LCI had the extended instrument panel - option (6WA)

The 535d engine was upped by 5KW from 225 - 230KW (313Bhp) with an improvement in MPG - not sure what that was and now includes EU6 compiance. You'll get slightly more performance but the 535d is a beast in either guise so neither will disappoint. 

BiXenons became standard on LCI cars but the Adaptive features were still an option - Bending headlights as you turn the steering wheel, cornering lights, etc. LED headlights were a top level option but very rare.

Standard features were very similar for both cars and the options list was more or less the same too. You need to decide which options are deal breakers for you and go looking for the car that matches your expectation.

For me I'd need the following:

Professional Nav

At least 18" wheels (I have 19" on standard suspension and very happy with the ride)

At least a reverse camera - I have surround view and am very spoilt with it

HiFi Speaker (676) or HK Speaker (677) systems - Something other than the base sound system

Lumbar Support (sadly not a standard feature)

Sun Protection glass - Tinted from the B Pillar backwards

Edited by Matthew Ashton

Thank you guys for the reply,especially Matthew very detailed post,i’m thinking of getting the LCI M sport, SE suspension is very comfortable but i find it very boring and plus on a car with that much bhp you need proper suspension,i just hope i find one with pretty much all the toys within my budget,even though it will cost more,i think it will help when you want to resell.

5 hours ago, Theo_33 said:

Thank you guys for the reply,especially Matthew very detailed post,i’m thinking of getting the LCI M sport, SE suspension is very comfortable but i find it very boring and plus on a car with that much bhp you need proper suspension,i just hope i find one with pretty much all the toys within my budget,even though it will cost more,i think it will help when you want to resell.

Just on resale, you'll be surprised but the option list whether long or short makes very little difference to the ultimate selling price but makes owning the car that much more pleasant though.

I guess you’re right,if and when i will find the car that i want maybe it won’t be a problem selling it,i have an 530d e60 now,i would be happy to keep it but the 6speed  auto gearbox is doing my head in,i want the 8speed  as is more refined and puts the power down in a different way,all in all is so much better