Marc_C

Lake victoria behind driver's seat

Hi all

after the heavy rain of last night I've discovered a pool of water behind the driver's seat, and its a veritable bloody flood, how that much water got into my beautiful car is beyond me. Doors, windows and sunroof where all

fully closed.

It took me half an hour to soak and mop it out.

Any ideas as to what may be the cause?

I did notice today when driving in the sunny weather I opened the sunroof and when I went around a corner we all got doused by some water that hadnt drained away?

Might that be connected to the flooding? 

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Marc

Oookaayy .. erm whats a vapour barrier and where should I look for that? 

I was always pretty handy with car mechanics as a youngster, I could tear down a lotus cortina engine and rebuild it with my eyes closed but today's car nomenclature is just beyond me :roll:

18 minutes ago, Marc_C said:

Oookaayy .. sorry for sounding silly but whats a vapour barrier and where should I look for that? 

I was always pretty handy with car mechanics as a youngster, I could tear down a lotus cortina engine and rebuild it with my eyes closed but today's car nomenclature is just beyond me :roll:

behind door card loads of info on hear about this problem

done all 4 of mine when i found a lake behind drivers side seat

remove door card and you will see a fome membrain attached to inner door this is sealed with a soft mastic

if not applied well a the factory it is then not water tight and water ingress is into car between door card and the membrain

and bottom of door cards will show signes of getting / being wet

Edited by supertramp101

Great, thank you, yes I did a search for the vapour barrier on here amd found some useful stuff.

Thanks for the tips guys!:-)

you realy need to lift the carpet a bit to check the foam underlay not soaked as well, and check the front

as well as on the drivers side by right hand side of seat under carpet and underlay there is a fuse distro box

houseing high capicity fuses if water gets in there

it can play havoc with the electrical systems on e39s

2 hours ago, supertramp101 said:

you realy need to lift the carpet a bit to check the foam underlay not soaked as well

The foam under the carpet is extremely thick, there will be gallons of water absorbed in it.  

As all above 

Youll need to check all is well, prob best with front seat out and give it all a good dry.

Quite a few posts recently re the vapour barrier and ones I’ve recommended a specific sealing tape... Follw thouse & you'llbe fine 

More likely vapor barrier, I did mine recently and caught them just in time , my driver side rear was 80 percent off , driver side rear was in good nick only peeled off in two spots which I reheated and glued back.

The passenger needed a full strip, removal of old butyl and installing new one.

You could do this test to determine whats the issue:

Have someone a garden hose on low stream of water spray the glass with door open, look for water draining at the corner of door near b pillar where there is a drain hole , if any water is draining between the door card and door  skin itself then you are in trouble.

Sunroof drains same thing , get a small jug and pour water into the drain holes with sunroof open , they are located in the four corners, watch for water draining from underneath the car.

Depending on extent of the water ingress i would recommend removing the seats and pulling up the carpet to dry everything up, otherwise mould and mildew will inevitably develop and rust will happily too.