stu08

Removing E39 Front Seat - What's this?

I'm trying to remove my SE front seats and come across a wire which I haven't seen mentioned in any how to's. 

It connects to a metal pin and bracket underneath the seat. 

Does anyone know what it is? 

Thanks for any help. 

Stu 

6 minutes ago, Qasimahmed said:

It moves the seat belt up and down according to the position of the seat

Thank you. 

Do I simply unclip it from the base of the seat and reattach it to the new one? 

That's what d_a_n1979 was referring to in your 'how to remove the front sea't thread when he said unclip the seatbelt adjusting mech! :) :)

Certainly took me by surprise the first time I removed E39 seats. Tugged that cable for a good while looking around till I saw what it does! Satisfying piece of E39 over-engineering. :)

19 minutes ago, Liam79 said:

That's what d_a_n1979 was referring to in your 'how to remove the front sea't thread when he said unclip the seatbelt adjusting mech! :) :)

Certainly took me by surprise the first time I removed E39 seats. Tugged that cable for a good while looking around till I saw what it does! Satisfying piece of E39 over-engineering. :)

Ah right. That's my mistake, I thought he was referring to the T50 torx bolt which attaches the seat belt to the seat frame. 

I made the mistake of unattaching the wire and letting it slip from my fingers. Got a nice mark on my nose from where the clip slapped me in the face. 

Well Dan coulda worded it clearer, or I coulda pointed you in the direction of my heated seat retrofit writeup which has detailed pics of said cable clip! :) Our bad.

At least you didn't yank it out the car like I did first time.

1 hour ago, Liam79 said:

Well Dan coulda worded it clearer, or I coulda pointed you in the direction of my heated seat retrofit writeup which has detailed pics of said cable clip! :) Our bad.

At least you didn't yank it out the car like I did first time.

I've just read what Dan posted again. It's completely my mistake, he stated to remove a clip after undoing the seat belt bolt. Will teach me to read things properly haha. 

As you say, the damage to my nose will repair, not sure I'd fix a broken seat mech. wire so easily. 

36 minutes ago, stu08 said:

I've just read what Dan posted again. It's completely my mistake, he stated to remove a clip after undoing the seat belt bolt. Will teach me to read things properly haha. 

As you say, the damage to my nose will repair, not sure I'd fix a broken seat mech. wire so easily. 

Ya see; I didn't undo it in my last 530i when I wanted to remove the seats to hoover the carpet etc; I'm stood there with the seat half out trying to figure out what it's snagged on :lol: 

Haha. I was making sure I'd unplugged the seat connector when I spotted it luckily. 

Much happier with the new seats. These were the old SE seats which came out. 

DSC_0012.JPG

4 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Ya see; I didn't undo it in my last 530i when I wanted to remove the seats to hoover the carpet etc; I'm stood there with the seat half out trying to figure out what it's snagged on :lol: 

That's kinda what happened to me first time I took a seat out. Electric comfort seats are so effin heavy, so when it was half out the door and I was wondering why the f it wasn't coming out I ran out of strength tugging and wiggling it and nearly dropped it. Scratched the door jamb paint nicely with the runner!!! :) Never gonna forget it again though.

3 minutes ago, stu08 said:

The new sports seats which replaced them. 

DSC_0021.JPG

Nice upgrade! Look mint those sport seats! Just need a sport steering wheel to go with now. :)

Ah and I see your door seal rubber looks lke mine did too.

Thanks, they are very clean. Bought them off a forum member. I have a preface sport steering wheel ready for retrim and then fitting. 

Going to replace all door rubbers, check the vapor barriers and then fit my new door cards (also off a forum member) as the previous ones were scratched and damaged. 

Also got the option of Nussbaum wood or Technical Graphite trim to go in. 

And also have these for refurb and fitting. Staggered E39 fitment (correct centre bore and offset) style 69's.

DSC_0025.JPG