Busterbvi

E39 Saloon rear mud flap solution ?

Any members had any luck finding nice fitting rear mud flaps for the E39 saloon ?  I bought a good used BMW set off Ebay and the fronts fitted perfectly, however

the rears look awful and dont fit the curvature shape of the bumper.  Tried another £35 pair from a BMW dealer but same problem. The picture shows the ones I

have which are quite different. Not keen on the logo but its all I could find.

I have a lot of country lanes around me and I tired of cleaning cow shit of the back of the car so would like to find some smart looking flaps.

20180526_163705.jpg

IIRC I had genuine flaps on my previous 530i and they fit perfectly

If yours are copies; there could be the issue

If not, then maybe you could carefully trim them to fit better and maybe use 3M double sided tape to hold them to the body better?

Thanks Dan, they are genuine BMW.  Here's the problem.

New from BMW dealer

20180527_112847.jpg

Used off Ebay

20180527_112933.jpg

Part No of new ones from BMW

20180527_111827.jpg

Used off Ebay fitting nice on front.

20180527_111907.jpg

Edited by Busterbvi

^^

Ah; there you go

Mine must have been trimmed then as they sat flush...

I'd say that'll be the best route with some self tapping screws for the wheel arch liners and then 3M double sided tape to hold them flush to the body work...

This is what I did when the arches/sills were resprayed on my previous 530i 

On 5/27/2018 at 11:53 AM, Clavurion said:

Rear mudflaps are not available for M-sport versions. That other version is for SE saloon and the other one for SE touring.

This was just posted for sale on Piston Heads with BMW flaps that look like they fit OK.

E39 Sport with R mudflaps.jpg

Mudflaps 2.jpg

Edited by Busterbvi

6 minutes ago, Busterbvi said:

This just appeared on Piston Heads with BMW flaps that look like they fit OK.

They do seem to fit quite nicely. Why don't you ask the owner if he knows the story behind those rear mudflaps. Can't remember if they were available years back.

An update on this thread for those with Sport saloons that may be looking for a rear mudflap solution. I went with the genuine BMW ones from Ocean BMW

in Plymouth ( see pic for part number ) when I fitted them with the clips supplied they actually fit quite nice. The OS went straight on no problem, the NS was

a bit of a palaver, you have to trim off a good half inch off the bottom of the arch guard and neatly fold the metal heat shield around it so the flap will sit straight.

The clips supplied work well to secure it to the lip of the bumper and a couple of self tappers through the flap into the arch guard with speed clips does the

trick.  Well pleased !

20180624_121733.jpg

20180624_121752.jpg

20180624_121717.jpg

20180624_121653.jpg

20180527_111827.jpg

Edited by Busterbvi

21 hours ago, Clavurion said:

That part number matches the ones for SE touring. Apparently they fit well enough on M-sport sedan.

Yes, I believe they are for the Touring, what threw me was the awefull fit when offered up to the bumper loosely as per my earlier post on May 27, when they are fitted with the clips supplied they actually fit quite nice !