5SPORT

6 CD changer clunking

My dad's cd changer is no longer loading discs and just makes a periodic cluncking noise. I've managed to get the magazine out etc but ain't got a clue as to what has gone wrong. I have also removed the whole unit.

Any advise from people who have experienced a similar issue is appreciated.

The only time I've had something similar is when I've not loaded a CD into the cassette properly, but I guess you may have checked that. Last time it happened I removed all the CDs and gave the cartridge a squirt of dry lubricant. No trouble since (famous last words).

I asked a local repair company who said that they couldn't get parts for them so don't repair them anymore. I'll try a few other places on that front but will try and open it and take a look myself. Not sure how to go about opening it and what to look for if I do get it open though :-/ ....

I bought a new old one off eBay for £35. Keep the cassette, they are usually sold separately.

I tried to disassemble and lube it with WD40 to no avail. 

You can't simply remove it without closing the laser loop either, and common adapter don't fit. You can glue something together, but it gave me error codes in the end, so I replaced. 

I have a whole unit in my shed somewhere. I removed it for the iPod adapter

Does he have Bluetooth? If the MULF has failed, the CD changer won't work. It will sound like it's loading discs but you won't be able to play them.

No Bluetooth and it's the type that fits in the glovebox and not the boot.

I'd be interested if it's the right type blobby.

15 hours ago, 5SPORT said:

No Bluetooth and it's the type that fits in the glovebox and not the boot.

I'd be interested if it's the right type blobby.

I'll take some pictures of it

Here you go, thought I'd better get it done before our day out... Just realised the 2nd picture doesn't show the connector, thats the connector cover from iPod adapter.. There's 4 pins and what looks like an in-out optical link. 

IMG_5354.jpg

IMG_5355.jpg

IMG_5356.jpg

Edited by Blobby