rasg

Locking nut will not budge

Hi.

I still have the winter wheels on my F11 as I cannot get one of the locking nuts to budge. The old locking nut key was a bit mangled so I bought a new one (£27!) but even the new one is slipping out.

I read a suggestion elsewhere that I should remove the other three wheel nuts and take a slow drive around a deserted car park.

Anybody else have any better ideas please?

TIA.

I know why you would suggest that but you can take it to a decent garage who will have an impact socket with left hand threads cut into it especially for removing locking wheel bolts. With a decent windy gun and plenty of air behind it, it should come off.

Last resort, hammer on a 16mm impact socket to effectively form a hex bolt head out of the locking wheel bolt.

I had the squiggly locking wheel bolt which didn't fill me with confidence so I replaced it for a splined set more like the E60 style.

The problem is that the distorted locking nut allows some of the turning force applied to the breaker bar to move the socket outwards and slip. I have overcome this twice with two separate methods, each ensuring that the socket cannot move outwards and that all your effort is applied to turning.

Method 1 with two people

Person "A" holds breaker bar in position. Person "B" repeatedly strikes end of breaker bar towards the wheel nut, and once a rhythm is established Person "A" times his turning effort to coincide exactly with the point at which the hammer lands.

Method 2 on your own

Park car parallel to a wall. Engage socket with extension and breaker bar and  support it with bricks or timber so that it is horizontal. Position a scissor jack between the breaker bar and wall and extend it until you see the tyre wall start to move. You need to make sure that everything is truly horizontal. Give the breaker bar a whack with a mallet.

Good luck

21 hours ago, rasg said:

Hi.

I still have the winter wheels on my F11 as I cannot get one of the locking nuts to budge. The old locking nut key was a bit mangled so I bought a new one (£27!) but even the new one is slipping out.

I read a suggestion elsewhere that I should remove the other three wheel nuts and take a slow drive around a deserted car park.

Anybody else have any better ideas please?

TIA.

Before you try anything more serious and risk damaging your car, wheel and/or you... Try something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Würth-Rost-Off-Ice-400ml/dp/B00UFVYMTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527321479&sr=8-1&keywords=wurth+rost+off

Absolutely soak the nut in it, wipe excess off and repeat every few hours for maybe a day and then give it a bash again

It's brilliant stuff and makes WD40 look useless!

It's worked on a lot of cars for me and gotten some very seized bolts undone, which otherwise, I'd have resorted to physical violence :lol: 

Let us know how you get on.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube to show you how to do it.

If it was back in the 1990s you could always just park it up in parts of Glasgow or Paisley and the locals would have the wheels off sharpish! You wouldn't get your wheels back but you would probably have some bricks instead.

I had a similar problem many years ago on a vectra I got cheap, I just purchased a locking wheel nut removal tool (set of 3 reverse threaded sockets) and had the wheels of in no time at all... Still got that tool somewhere.... 

A friend with the right tools managed to get it off. He ground 2-3 mm off the outside of the flange of the wheel nut socket that allowed it to go that much further into the locking wheel nut. After that it came straight out without slipping. No damage and the socket can still be used.

40 minutes ago, rasg said:

A friend with the right tools managed to get it off. He ground 2-3 mm off the outside of the flange of the wheel nut socket that allowed it to go that much further into the locking wheel nut. After that it came straight out without slipping. No damage and the socket can still be used.

Throw away/replace that set of locking wheel bolts and buy a more robust set.

1 hour ago, rasg said:

I was looking at the spline type on eBay. Any better?

I bought a set of splined genuine from Lloyds BMW from eBay for just over £30. Came with two locking keys. I keep one in the car and one in my tool chest.