Sign in to follow this  
E39mad

Fresh paint - which coating/protector

I've just had the rear bumper of the E36 vert painted as it was a little shabby and had some scratches that were too deep for a machine polisher to sort out. Taken me a while as had the car 5 years this autumn!!

Anyway - the car is back and the paint should be hard enough at the end of next week to put a protective coating on it. I want something that will protect from stone chips as running 17" wheels means the lower section of each side is exposed.

Recommendations please. Old pic for attention!

P1020400.JPG

Stone chips are very hard to protect from,even a ceramic coating like gyeon mohs is 9h hardness can only provide a certain amount of protection, you would probably be better having a clear PPF(paint protection film) fitted as these are designed to withstand stone chipping and scratching they are also self healing, most good detailer's should be able to provide this service or if not point you in the right direction.

Personally I wouldn't be adding anything to fresh paint and lacquer; it needs to go off properly

However, once that's done, as above, I'd be looking at a clear wrap rather than a coating, very little will protect it from stone chips really!

I would be very hesitant about putting anything solvent based on new paint. Even cured 'baked' paint will still gas off to a degree, by adding another layer over the top you risk micro blistering. 

I'd be inclined to leave it 6-8 weeks either way then look into a PPF (as above) option, the rear bumper is a heavy impact area so that'll help keep it free of deposits and chips

Edited by WRussell