goram

Brake Pads replacement

I'm on the countdown for a new set of front and rear pads.

My local indie Grosvenor are quoting £400 an axle. Is that about right?

33 minutes ago, goram said:

I'm on the countdown for a new set of front and rear pads.

My local indie Grosvenor are quoting £400 an axle. Is that about right?

I'd always check out BMW's Value Service offerings https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/value_service. These are the prices I find for your car:

Model 5 Series

Engine Size Up to 2999cc(2010-2017*)

Front Brake Pads:  £199.00

Front Brake Pads and Discs:  £449.00

Rear Brake Pads:  £179.00

Rear Brake Pads and Discs:  £309.00

Oil and Microfilter Service:  £260.00

Vehicle Check Service:  £79.00

Here is a link to prices for front brakes for my F10 from the forum sponsor.

I plan to do it myself.

But the price of £199 from Matthew for front pads fitted by BMW isn't too bad when you look at my price parts and taking into consideration labour rates of £100+ per hour.

Your Indy would be on the money if he was to also include four discs, assuming all parts are genuine.

Just pads, he is taking the wee wee at £400 an axle.

10 hours ago, sams255 said:

I had the dealer (snows BMW)  do my rear brake pads for 161 pounds.  so worth a try

Thats very reasonable. There is a bit of a faff in dealing with winding back the electric parking brake, plenty of videos on YouTube but there must be a way of doing it via ISTA. The car would then self wind in the parking brake mechanism instead of you manually winding it back with a Torx bit.

My rear pads were replaced by the selling dealer just before I bought it. They don't last long around 30k miles. The rear pads are used by the cruise control function to brake the car.

I was intending to swap discs/pads all rould on my wife's mini R56. Mini UK value prices are £199 front and £169 rear which was a pleasant surprise. 

As with the BMW site, some prices shown as "offers"... Not sure if these are genuine, time limited offers or not, but always worth punching your reg in and comparing costs. 

And you're certain that the parts are OE quality. 

14 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Thats very reasonable. There is a bit of a faff in dealing with winding back the electric parking brake, plenty of videos on YouTube but there must be a way of doing it via ISTA.

Carly has it on the service options now. 

Just had the rear disk and pads done on my car at 45k miles. The CBS flagged them as needing doing although in reality there was still 4mm of pad left on them. The disks were at a tad under 23mm which is 50% worn if you go by the minimum thickness of 22mm stamped on them. Although BMW service literature states that M sport cars should have the discs changed at 1.6mm below the 24mm new thickness, so 22.4mm not the 22mm.

I dont really see the point of putting just pads in when the disks wear out so fast as well.

It's M cars, not MSport trim level cars that have more onerous disc replacement requirements. 

I have always done discs and pads together on my cars, they have both been as worn as each other. 

Its only three more bolts to take a disc off after changing pads. You only really pay the price of the disc as it's only another 5-10 mins to change a disc.

4 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

It's M cars, not MSport trim level cars that have more onerous disc replacement requirements. 

I missed that. My quotes on the thicknesses was out too. Seems they are happy for new pads to be fitted on disks as long as they are above the min thickness and must be replaced when 2.4m below the width from new. 

23 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

I have always done discs and pads together on my cars, they have both been as worn as each other. 

Interesting, I always thought the rule of thumb was that one set of discs would last through two sets of pads.

Senator, discs and pads at the same time.

E39 discs and pads at the same time.

E60 disc and pads at the same time

These cars had worn out the pads and discs at the same amount and I replaced at the same time.  In the case of the E60, they were the originals and had done over 70,000.  The discs were worn beyond their limits but only just, pads still had a bit of meat on them.

My F10 is chomping thru its front brakes, at 46k miles the discs are worn to their limits, pads according to the OBC have 2k miles to go so again, I will be doing pads and discs at the same time very soon.

If anything in my last two BMWs, the pads will have outlived the discs.  Must be the way I drive them.;)

38 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

In the case of the E60, they were the originals and had done over 70,000.  The discs were worn beyond their limits but only just, pads still had a bit of meat on them.

OK I did discs and pads all round about 35k miles ago, so hopefully they will be OK for a while yet. That was 5 years ago though, so age could be a factor too. I'd expect that the fronts would be the first to wear out.

2 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Interesting, I always thought the rule of thumb was that one set of discs would last through two sets of pads.

Cheap aftermarket discs last 25,000 miles.

26 minutes ago, sams255 said:

Discs normally would last 2 pad changes. That's what I have found in my 530D

Ha !  I guess it depends on the driving but that is certainly what I'd expect.

1 hour ago, jake13 said:

I went for Pagid, which I expect to last just as long as genuine BMW.

19 hours ago, jake13 said:

I've used two part brembo discs on mine, so far have lasted 60,000 miles on front (pads due now and discs barely have a lip on them) and 45,000 on the back (same as fronts, slight lip but pads need changing soon)

I had textar pads on it with the brembo discs and they work quite well. 

Although with the offer BMW have on cars >3yrs old it will probably go to them for the next lot

You want the two piece discs.  Alloy hub and iron/steel friction ring, keeps unsprung mass down.

I had bother trying to source two piece discs for my E60, ended up going genuine, but thanks to the F10 range having two piece discs across its range (it was just the decent engined stuff on the E60's that had two piece discs) two piece discs are much more readily available on the aftermarket part scene now.

I have a genuine set of rear pads if anyone is interested for a f10 530d sport will put them up in the for sale section shortly anyway as I’ve now sold the car.

4 minutes ago, Saunders76 said:

I'll be doing mine soon... 

Brembo discs and pads (2 piece discs) 

£230 Inc vat for fronts, £220 Inc vat for rears 8)

Good price! Where from? 

Pretty sure my front discs and pads are original at 55k. 

Rear discs are original too but I replaced the pads already. 

How to accurately check disc thickness without a nipple squeezer ?