stonesfan

Air con a bit musty smelling....possibly need to disinfect it?

Hi All

Noticed my air con is a little 'damp' and 'musty' smelling especially during the first minute or so of operation. Don't think the two pollen filters have ever been changed so will do that myself. Looks relatively straightforward. Just a case of making sure the element goes in the right way round. 

Also read that you can spray 'disinfectant' into the system to assist with this. Where exactly do I spray this into?? Presume there is an air intake up near the wiper mechanisms etc. 

cheers. 

In the past I've sprayed detol antibacterial spray into the intake  where the filers are with good effect. Bets with system running but new filers a good start. 

Don’t “spray” anything into the system! As if you miss (which you probably will) the evaporator then you will fry the electrics ie radio and or Hvac panel!

you can get them disinfectant bomb type things that you stick in the rear footwell and run the A/C on recirc for ten min! They seem to work quite well, but change your pollen filters first and that will more than likely cure it? 

You can do if you like? 

I was actually in the middle of writing my post when you beat me to it dunc! ;) 

but the stories I’ve heard with people spraying, what is basically water into the system and ruining some sort of electrical thing is endless! 

I suppose spraying the stuff through the external intake  is only the same as spraying it in the internal intake? 

I can only talk from my experience and I’ve never had an issue doing it internally with them bomb type things or if you can depress the nozzle and keep it depressed until it’s empty whilst not in the car then a bottle of detol works as well :) 

7 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Think we're agreed filters are a good place to start.

Two years since changing my filters so due a change. Last time I used Mann filters bought for just over £30/pair, then discovered that there are alternatives containing activated(?) charcoal. These are (or were) a lot dearer so are they worth the extra beer tokens or am I just paying for deforestation of somewhere? ;)

Charcoal filters are mega expensive but do work! 

However I think it might be overkill to use on a car! Unless your located in a city with mega high pollution? 

Ive only ever used them in air filtration equipment for restaurants that are located in dirty areas like central London! 

Cheers for the tips. Will change the filters and take it from there. I reckon mine are going to be a bit rancid. 

I guess will also be logical to check the scuttle drains whilst I'm at it. 

You could always throw some odour eaters in there, they use activated charcoal although they couldn't help my feet <_<

As others have already said

New filters and one of these: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoglym-Air-Con-Cleaner/dp/B01366SQXM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1527320926&amp;sr=8-8&amp;keywords=air+con+cleaner+car

Or cheaper: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SILVERHOOK-SGAC2-Air-Bomb-Cleaner/dp/B007C6Q6XA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1527320926&amp;sr=8-1&amp;keywords=air+con+cleaner+car&amp;dpID=41KOj43TciL&amp;preST=_SY300_QL70_&amp;dpSrc=srch

I've used both and they work very well :) 

But, use the aircon all the time, even through winter. It keeps the system working tip top and keeps the air clean in the car :) If you do knock it off for periods of time, that's when mould and bacteria grows in the system and makes it start to smell 'wet dog' :lol: 

On 5/26/2018 at 8:50 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

If you do knock it off for periods of time, that's when mould and bacteria grows in the system and makes it start to smell 'wet dog' :lol: 

The number of times I've seen this written... it's just not true. Not running the AC does NOT cause mould. Running the AC, leaving it (the evaporator) wet and then left to stand (parked up for a few days) can cause mould/bacteria. Typically in summer when its sat, all nice and warm and moist (oo-er). Provided the evaporator is dried out after a season of regular use by not running the AC and just using the fans, it should be smell free for years. I don't run mine during winter (except a few minutes every few weeks to keep the seals healthy) and never have nasty smells. If your car is going to stand idle for days at a time, then dry the evaporator out by running the fans only for 30 minutes or so and you shouldn't need the disinfection maintenance.

23 minutes ago, chrisgeary said:

The number of times I've seen this written... it's just not true. Not running the AC does NOT cause mould. Running the AC, leaving it (the evaporator) wet and then left to stand (parked up for a few days) can cause mould/bacteria. Typically in summer when its sat, all nice and warm and moist (oo-er). Provided the evaporator is dried out after a season of regular use by not running the AC and just using the fans, it should be smell free for years. I don't run mine during winter (except a few minutes every few weeks to keep the seals healthy) and never have nasty smells. If your car is going to stand idle for days at a time, then dry the evaporator out by running the fans only for 30 minutes or so and you shouldn't need the disinfection maintenance.

Ah fair enough... My car(s) have and do stand for days at a time as I work from home; so if I'm not trining/coaching in the afternoon, my car won't move etc

TBH it's not my cars that usually have smelly aircon, its the wife's :lol: She's always turning the damned thing off :roll: 

I keep mine on all year around, unless it's glorious and I'm brave enough to drive with the windows down and not blowing my head off sneezing with fecking hayfever :angry: It's great in the colder months as I get in it after training and it steams up like a good'un :oops: 

My car can stand for 3 weeks at a time without use.. Then on Sunday we drove about 190 miles with the AC on constantly, well it was fooking hot.

Every time i use it i've never had any smelly issues.. Other than myself... I think ensuring the pollen filters are clean and changed regularly help.

I think it's a mix of dust and wet, sorry a moist evaporator are the things that will cause the bacteria build up

Changed both pollen filters at the weekend. The old ones looked pretty disgusting I have to admit. I'd safely say the air con now smells of air as opposed to a bit of a musty old dog. 

The scuttle on the drivers side was totally blocked but there was no water in there. Unblocked and have elaborated on this at the pinned thread. Passenger side appears dry at least.