Modge

Left my E60 for the night to test this....

Sorry not strictly an E60 post!!  Well, Ive left my E60 for the night as Ive had the dealer on the phone for a while trying to punt me an i3 as I have been looking to get a hybrid or EV as my second car so thought I would take them up on their offer of an extended test drive!

First impressions actually quite impressed, usual BMW refinement inside and surprisingly nice to drive, will see how it copes with my 42 mile each way commute tomorrow!!

20180523_173528.jpg

Edited by Modge

In all honesty I went into it not expecting to like it, but it was suprisingly nice to drive! Very quick off the mark with instant torque,  cruised along the motorway at 70-75 no problem.  Although the claim of 150 miles to a full charge is utter rubbish, after a full charge overnight before I left for work it was sat at 118 miles range, as soon as I turned on the climate control that dropped to about 110!!  When I got back from work it was sat at about 15 miles left, not much leway if I have to make any stops or diversions!!

All in all nice enough little car, although I can think of alot nicer cars that I could drop 29 grand on!!

12 hours ago, Modge said:

I can think of alot nicer cars that I could drop 29 grand on!!

A three year old F10 535i with two years service inclusive left to run and a set of winter wheels and still have £7k change!

I just took delivery of a quick charge 40kWh Renault Zoe as my daily commuter 

160-180 range (real world that I’ve got)

top spec cost me £12k (plus battery rental which is £60/month) So total spend is £240/month for 6500miles per year 

because battery is rental it’s guaranteed to 85% and comes with free breakdown 

ok so never gonna be the same refinement of a bmw but when I test drove the i3 I fell in love with the “iPhone on wheels” but the range, available space and cost was too off-putting.

my Zoe comes with heated leather, BOSE DAB nav, reverse camera, folding mirrors and all the on line services plus free Chargemaster install in the price.

like the i3 it’s rapid off the line and will easy do 80mph without too much loss of range. Ditto with air con on.

winter will be a different matter but scheduled heating of the car while plugged in should minimise that.

It’s the future :)

JJ

2 minutes ago, problemchild said:

top spec cost me £12k (plus battery rental which is £60/month) So total spend is £240/month for 6500miles per year 

because battery is rental it’s guaranteed to 85% and comes with free breakdown 

ok so never gonna be the same refinement of a bmw but when I test drove the i3 I fell in love with the “iPhone on wheels” but the range, available space and cost was too off-putting.

my Zoe comes with heated leather, BOSE DAB nav, reverse camera, folding mirrors and all the on line services plus free Chargemaster install in the price.

like the i3 it’s rapid off the line and will easy do 80mph without too much loss of range. Ditto with air con on.

winter will be a different matter but scheduled heating of the car while plugged in should minimise that.

It’s the future :)

JJ

Good for you! :rolleyes: 

9 hours ago, problemchild said:

Sounds good, I never realised the ZOEs were that cheap.  Although I would need at least double the annual mielage you have on it! Think I will be sticking with my E60 for the next couple of years until the hybrid technology gets a bit better then go for something new.

I'm keen on an electric car - had a test drive in a Tesla Model 3 a couple of weeks back, but I'd be opting out of a full maintained and fuelled company car scheme and taking the allowance. 

As much as I can see the benefits, I just can't get the numbers to stack up in my favour!

9 hours ago, Coops said:

I'd be opting out of a full maintained and fuelled company car scheme and taking the allowance. 

Thats exactly what I did. Turned down the company Mondeo Ghia, took the monthly cash equivalent and looked at what I could get for that. 

So I parked a four year old 545i with a years AUC warranty on my driveway and it ate up the company mileage up with ease.

Mileage expenses kept it fed, watered and in shoes.

Happy days. 

35 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

Thats exactly what I did. Turned down the company Mondeo Ghia, took the monthly cash equivalent and looked at what I could get for that. 

So I parked a four year old 545i with a years AUC warranty on my driveway and it ate up the company mileage up with ease.

Mileage expenses kept it fed, watered and in shoes.

Happy days. 

That's the way, but I'm already entitled to a reasonably well specified 5 Series / A6 et al.