A BMW dealer told me last year that the coolant in my n53 f10 is a "special type" that never needs changing so is not a service requirements. I queried it at the time and they were adamant.

Fast forward and I'm looking at the spec and it's regular g48 which has a service life of 3 years.

It's pretty clear that car manufacturers esp BMW these days consider cars disposable IMO and don't care particularly what happens outside of warranty. Perhaps that was always the case (likely) but they are getting better at trimming the fat. 

Given all the environmental pressure I do think vehicle longevity should be a factor alongside fuel economy etc. It takes huge amounts of energy and emissions to actually build a car in the first place (including design and testing). Replacing a car because the engine is not as efficient as a newer engine is blind to the underlying use case - minimal miles means it's probably better for the environment not to put a newer car on the road. IMO.

Is all bollocks anyway - car manufacturers are finance houses first and car builders second these days.

Gosh.

On 5/23/2018 at 8:36 AM, bmwmike said:

A BMW dealer told me last year that the coolant in my n53 f10 is a "special type" that never needs changing so is not a service requirements. I queried it at the time and they were adamant.

Fast forward and I'm looking at the spec and it's regular g48 which has a service life of 3 years.

It's pretty clear that car manufacturers esp BMW these days consider cars disposable IMO and don't care particularly what happens outside of warranty. Perhaps that was always the case (likely) but they are getting better at trimming the fat. 

Given all the environmental pressure I do think vehicle longevity should be a factor alongside fuel economy etc. It takes huge amounts of energy and emissions to actually build a car in the first place (including design and testing). Replacing a car because the engine is not as efficient as a newer engine is blind to the underlying use case - minimal miles means it's probably better for the environment not to put a newer car on the road. IMO.

Is all bollocks anyway - car manufacturers are finance houses first and car builders second these days.

Gosh.

The same with oil service, gearbox oil service... Best is to check the US service recommendations to know what to do.

And guess what? They ask for oil change every year or 10,000 miles for example. Gearbox oil change at 60,000 miles... Not sure about coolant but would be good to know.

In the US, consumer protection is very strong and BMW would have to pay if his cars fall apart quickly so recommends owner to look after them.

In Europe, they bribe our EU policitians so are not worried about it... They even want them to fall apart quickly so we spend money on new bmws

22 hours ago, reggie59 said:

The same with oil service, gearbox oil service... Best is to check the US service recommendations to know what to do.

And guess what? They ask for oil change every year or 10,000 miles for example. Gearbox oil change at 60,000 miles... Not sure about coolant but would be good to know.

Not sure where you're information comes from but the BMWs in the US have the same condition based servicing as here in the UK. The gearbox is equipped with a life long oil filling and the engine oil change interval is the same as here. The forums over there are filled with similar comments to ours where the recommendation is to replace engine oil at least once in-between the BMW scheduled changes and the gearbox oil to be changed between 60 - 80k miles as per ZF's recommendation. Their coolant, again, the same as ours, stated as not requiring change for the lifetime of the car. Whether one chooses to adhere to these schedules is another thing.

In the US, consumer protection is very strong and BMW would have to pay if his cars fall apart quickly so recommends owner to look after them.

I've read many stories from US based forums and in particular with the N63 v8 engine failing. I don't see this consumer protection you refer to and BMW's response has been similar to over here in the UK where there are goodwill payments in some circumstances for the repairs.

In Europe, they bribe our EU policitians so are not worried about it... They even want them to fall apart quickly so we spend money on new bmws

I'd love to see some evidence of this. If no evidence, it is a sweeping statement, you think there are no corrupt politicians in the US?

I do wonder sometimes why people buy one brand or another if this is the kind of sentiment. I don't spend time on other manufacturer forums as I only have BMW cars at the moment so don't know how those owners feel, but from time to time I see the BMW bashing posts being made and wonder why people drive the cars if BMW are such crooks.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

21 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I do wonder sometimes why people buy one brand or another if this is the kind of sentiment. I don't spend time on other manufacturer forums as I only have BMW cars at the moment so don't know how those owners feel, but from time to time I see the BMW bashing posts being made and wonder why people drive the cars if BMW are such crooks.

Well put it this way, I doubt I will buy a BMW ever again.

34 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

Well put it this way, I doubt I will buy a BMW ever again.

Same here.. at least nothing later than the F10. More likely older. I've bought nothing but BMW for the past 11 years. The g30 does nothing for me at all. Quite the opposite in fact I think they've lost the plot over the f10 styling.

And.. I don't see why I need to be "pro" BMW to own one. Or non critical of BMW for that matter. It is healthy to be objective and critical. My recent personal experiences of BMW dealers (in contrast to Vauxhall BTW! ) has been DIRE.

Edit to add my point for opening this thread "fill for life lies" is just as an appendium to the already widely recognised fact that manual gearbox oil, differential oil, auto box fluid are not fill for life and never were, despite what BMW (and probably other car builders) prefer to claim.

Edited by bmwmike

Yes - theoretically I would like an older BMW, E34 or earlier. But mint rust-free or restored examples are justifiably high priced,  and require garaging and proper care, neither of which I could give.

On 5/28/2018 at 4:11 PM, Matthew Ashton said:

>%

I've read many stories from US based forums and in particular with the N63 v8 engine failing. I don't see this consumer protection you refer to and BMW's response has been similar to over here in the UK where there are goodwill payments in some circumstances for the repairs.

% <

HPFP and piezo injectors are warranted to 10 years or 120k miles in the US, but not the UK.