Johnjonjo

Rear spring broken

Hi all

I was hearing a knocking sound from the back  since about a month ago. Went to local vw garage as mate works there and they put it on ramp and he said there's nothing wrong with it. 

Today I took to bmw garage and they went out for a test drive and then put it on a ramp and said the drivers side rear spring had snapped.

They showed me and it had snapped about 2 cm up from the bottom.

Anyone else had this? My car has done 95k now.

Guess the recent appearance of potholes hasn't helped either.

They quoted £270 to replace the damaged one, no need to replace as pair they said.

Anyone got any past experiences similar to mine or comment on price quoted to replace one spring?

Many thanks 

£80 for Sachs spring depending upon the chassis, M-Sport or Standard. Hours labour or two hours if you do it yourself and you will need a spring compressor.

I have a non bmw warranty which covers suspension so going to go down that route. It does day springs are covered. 

Do you think It can be a DIY on the drive job if i get the spring myself?

Surely a new spring will have different, albeit slight, characteristics to the existing one? 

Personally I'd always replace both. 

Maybe just my ocd and the same reason I'd replace tyres in twos if there was more than a couple of mill difference. 

BMW will only replace springs singly. 

BMW will replace shocks in pairs.

It was an easy diy on the E60, the set up isn't dissimilar on the F10. 

E60 diy. The cost of a Set of spring compressors are considerably less than the labour to do this job

Edited by 535i Andrew

@sshooie makes a good point about doing them in pairs but BMW say you don't need too. It was always at the back of my mind to replace the other one on my E60 but I never did. Can't say it bothers me much about my F10 having a much newer spring. Probably because I have the gear and knowledge to do it myself if I have too. @jake13 links are very good if you fancy doing it yourself.

Springs can be a minefield to get the right one. SE, MSport or SE with sports settings suspension or MSport with MSport suspension deleted. Then if the car has a factory fit towbar they may be different again. I have 3AC towbar which according to the onboard handbook means I've got up rated rear suspension but I can't find any other reference to this and the plated rear max axle weight of mine is less than my dad's F10 530d MSport so that doesn't tie up either!

If the car is bogo standard you could get a spring from anywhere, but if it's got some options on it, source a genuine one as the ride heights and or spring rates may be different.

Hi all

Thank you so much for everyone's advice.

It's so nice to have people who will help others out, so rare these days.

Taking my car in today, let's hope warranty covers it. I understand bmw will inly do one but a part of me wishes they did both rather than just the one 

It's all been autherised by warranty company. I was there when the call was made by the dealership and it was a struggle, they said that £110 was too much for a spring and top and bottom pads which are part of the repair and insisted that they will supply the part (non bmw) and bmw can fit it. The new garage said will not fit anything that we don't source ourselves which is common sense and after a 25 minute battle the warranty company autherised the £220 claim.

Only reason I pay £350 a yearwarranty is because of timing chain potential problem so they will cover the cost of a new engine as the timing chain is a non service item that should never wear out. 

I'm considering now if i should get the other side done and just pay for it myself, maybe they will do a discount?

29 minutes ago, Johnjonjo said:

It's all been autherised by warranty company. I was there when the call was made by the dealership and it was a struggle, they said that £110 was too much for a spring and top and bottom pads which are part of the repair and insisted that they will supply the part (non bmw) and bmw can fit it. The new garage said will not fit anything that we don't source ourselves which is common sense and after a 25 minute battle the warranty company autherised the £220 claim.

Only reason I pay £350 a yearwarranty is because of timing chain potential problem so they will cover the cost of a new engine as the timing chain is a non service item that should never wear out. 

I'm considering now if i should get the other side done and just pay for it myself, maybe they will do a discount?

You can haggle, £180 seems reasonable.

28 minutes ago, Johnjonjo said:

Or I can wait for the other side to go and claim warranty again. It is what warranty is for?

All depends how much excess is coming out your pocket.

1 hour ago, jake13 said:

You can haggle, £180 seems reasonable.

All depends how much excess is coming out your pocket.

I don't pay any excess on the warranty claim, it doesn't cost me a penny.

You think £180 is reasonable for them to do other side?

I'm beginning to think let the other side fail as the warranty company will pick up the costs if it does 

1 hour ago, Johnjonjo said:

I don't pay any excess on the warranty claim, it doesn't cost me a penny.

You think £180 is reasonable for them to do other side?

I'm beginning to think let the other side fail as the warranty company will pick up the costs if it does 

Pretty obvious choice then.

10 hours ago, Johnjonjo said:

they said that £110 was too much for a spring and top and bottom pads which are part of the repair and

£110 for a spring and the pads is very good.

My E60 spring was had for just over £90 from local BMW dealer after asking nicely.

10 hours ago, Johnjonjo said:

£350 for a warranty that will replace an engine?

That sounds too good to be true.

Hi all

Just an update.

Spring fitted and all the weird knocking and creaking noises gone.

Im surprised that just a cracked spring would cause such an assortment of weird noises.

The warranty is with a third party, not sure if im allowed to name it on the forum? I've never made a full engine claim due to timing chain failure or know anyone else that has but according to small print it should be covered.

The spring will move around and not keep the parts under load if it is partially broken which may attribute to a noise.  I first knew a rear spring was broken when I heard clonks from the rear end.

6 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

The spring will move around and not keep the parts under load if it is partially broken which may attribute to a noise.  I first knew a rear spring was broken when I heard clonks from the rear end.

It does make all sorts of noises.

When did yours go? Did you get hour a done at BMW garage?

On 22 May 2018 at 9:49 PM, 535i Andrew said:

I had a rear spring break on my F10 at 3.5 years old and 38k miles.

Replaced under AUC warranty.

Only one side done, but I have the ability to change the other side should the need arise.

On 5/24/2018 at 7:38 AM, 535i Andrew said:

£110 for a spring and the pads is very good.

My E60 spring was had for just over £90 from local BMW dealer after asking nicely.

£350 for a warranty that will replace an engine?

That sounds too good to be true.

My thoughts exactly....

When i was looking at extended warranties, it was way more than £350 :| 

22 minutes ago, Y15HAL said:

My thoughts exactly....

When i was looking at extended warranties, it was way more than £350 :| 

Excess of £350 yes....