Keef

TFT screen clean

Hello, I have a G30, have only ever used a microfibre cloth to clean the dash and instruments but the black panel that houses the fuel guage and speedo is smeared as hell, has anyone else got or had the same? And can anyone advise how to get rid of,

Only since December 10k now, the smears are driving me mad even if I can’t see them on a quick glance when driving,I know they are there!

18 minutes ago, Keef said:

Bingo I had some spectacle cleaner and it worked, give me your address as I am going to give you a big hug!!

keef

Pressing the thanks button will suffice hahah

I found that there was come grease on the edges of the black panel perhaps to ensure no squeaks or face of assembly. This needed to be cleared away with a cotton bmw and then screen clean applied

I am always afraid to use anything, i sued some cleaner on an audi sat nav screen years ago and it took the reflective coating off in a patch, which then took me hours to get all of it off - - surprising as it only took a second to get the patch !!

so I always use a good quality microfibre cloth and just breathe on the cloth and use that - and always tell BMW service not to clean car as it always gets smears on it.....  I never touch the touchscreen either - EVER - as some passengers will contest too when pointing and asking what is that....

How bad can the screen be? I touch my iPad incessantly and it cleans easily. I've swished a microfiber over the screen in the car, and mine seems to clean well without scratches. Funny how we are all paranoid about different stuff on a car, so perhaps I just don't care enough.

5 hours ago, Monkeyfinger said:

How bad can the screen be? I touch my iPad incessantly and it cleans easily. I've swished a microfiber over the screen in the car, and mine seems to clean well without scratches. Funny how we are all paranoid about different stuff on a car, so perhaps I just don't care enough.

Or perhaps you have invested in a quality microfibre cloth! 

On 5/23/2018 at 12:56 PM, Monkeyfinger said:

To be fair, the screens in the G30 are glossy and hard and can take more of a rubbing than the screens BMW used to use. In the E46 3 series, the antiglare coating would come off if wiped hard enough with a wet cloth, it was ridiculous.

On the G30, I use a dry MF cloth but if its really greasy, I use screen cleaner or spectacle cleaner.

I have a proper glass cleaning microfibres cloth but that still left the instrument panel smeary, but cleaned the sat nav screen fine, so really not sure why, but the spectacle cleaner (no alcohol) worked a treat, it’s funny as I was cleaning the instruments “I can see clearly now” was on the radio

The sat nav screen is a different kettle of fish compared to the cluster. 

As the iDrive is now touch screen, the screen itself is covered in gorilla glass, the same as on your average smartphone.

The cluster has a anti glare coating and is much similar to screen on older f10's for example. This coating can be scratched easily and if rubbed hard, removed altogether. Once removed, the screen become glossy but substantially worse to use in direct sunlight. 

On 5/23/2018 at 12:50 PM, huggy said:

I am always afraid to use anything, i sued some cleaner on an audi sat nav screen years ago and it took the reflective coating off

Mind if I ask what cleaner stripped the coating as I need to remove the coating on mine?

Edited by Dakota

I haven’t cleaned my yet and can’t find a reference to the required cleaning frequency in the manual can anybody advise ?:P

Am now the proud owner of two BMW microfiber cloths. Will report back on the outstanding cleaning power of these precision German made ultimate driving machine cloths.

They are currently still in their packaging but that doesn't stop their technical ability to remove dirt, dust, oil and fingerprints.

I will be writing to BMW AG and urging that these should be offered as an option as they are so effective. Over the counter is £6 but as an option they could easily fetch ten times that. Particularly if supplied in a BMW badged Nappa leather hand stitched carry bag with contrasting stitching.

On 6/13/2018 at 7:26 AM, Dakota said:

Mind if I ask what cleaner stripped the coating as I need to remove the coating on mine?

It was a computer screen cleaner... I guess it had IPA or something in it and it took some rubbing