Sign in to follow this  
Boba

Which Wheels Will Fit For Winter?

I generally swap wheels/tyres for the winter so I plan to acquire a spare set sometime over the next few months. Can't afford a new set from BMW of course! Is there any guidance anywhere as to what wheels will fit the G31 that I might find on the used market? I guess just any old set from any BMW won't do the job.

G30/31 has new offsets compared to old F Series cars so you will need new wheels. 

Ebay will be your best bet to get cheapest wheels and out winter tyres on those. 

Nope; the G30 onwards are 5x112 rather than the usual 5x120 that BMW have used; plus the CB is different too...

Think Audi have the same 5x112 pattern, but may need to check further for CB measurements and offsets too!

**Edit: Quick Google and found this: https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1321330

Looked for this the other day as my sis-in-law was asking about winter alloys too

Sorry, we haven’t reached the ‘longest day yet’ so IMO threads about winter tyres are too premature:D:D, I’m keen to understand the answer too but will revert in Aug / Sept. 

1 hour ago, BacktoBeemer said:

Sorry, we haven’t reached the ‘longest day yet’ so IMO threads about winter tyres are too premature:D:D, I’m keen to understand the answer too but will revert in Aug / Sept. 

Nows the time to buy the tyres though, out of season/demand = cheaper!

Agree with above. Places like TyreLeader will allow you to buy direct from Germany where they are super cheap now from the season just finished

11 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

It's only 217 days until Christmas, it'll be upon us before you know it. :D :D 

Anyway, as pointed out, no point in waiting until the season's here and prices have risen ;).

Edited by Boba

29 minutes ago, Boba said:

It's only 217 days until Christmas, it'll be upon us before you know it. :D :D 

Anyway, as pointed out, no point in waiting until the season's here and prices have risen ;).

Yuk horrible thought (for those of us working in the supply chain at least) although I think you'll find it is 218...... :rolleyes::P

Really fair point about the prices - brings a whole new meaning to 'shop early for Christmas' ..... Good luck let us know what you settled on and then I can sort mine out too, are you are after wheels and tyres or just tyres?

Still thinking about this. I have 245x35x19 on the front and 275x35x19 on the back on my G31. Would 18s fit OK without fouling anything (I expect so). Any real harm in running 245x45x18 all round for winter? Not likely to carry much weight.

Edited by Boba

On 5/30/2018 at 9:48 AM, Boba said:

Still thinking about this. I have 245x35x19 on the front and 275x35x19 on the back on my G31. Would 18s fit OK without fouling anything (I expect so). Any real harm in running 245x45x18 all round for winter? Not likely to carry much weight.

As long as they clear the brakes and have tyres that are the right diameter/radius/thingymebob so that the speedo isn't out; you'll be fine! 

Use a tyre calculator to see re tyre difference; as long as it's in +/- 2.5%, it's fine!