Boba

Which Wheels Will Fit For Winter?

Hankook is an OK brand. They are actually an OE option on the new X3 I believe and they also sponsor the DTM team.

They will push to be on a level with Dunlop, Pierlli, Michelin etc in the next couple of years. However, I had a set of KU39's on my old F10 and was bitterly dissapointed with them

okay need some help. Did have a handle on some 664M wheels for my G31 540 - but then realised how much rear winter tyres are. 360 each! By the time I've refurbed the alloys and bought the tyres. Kinda expensive. Anyone know what other 19s fit (don't want to go to 18s I know its winter but still.. you know style...) - I know 663s will fit and look okay but can't find any cheap ones of those 4 wheels of 245 / 40 R19... Any current 7 series wheels fit in front and back 19s? I can't find any decent online resource and the brochures don't seem to have any wheels that were offered and now withdrawn...

I had some Winter 18s for my F11 that performed great and thinking if the winter was as stinky as the last one i'd do better with winters. 4wd might not be enough which my wallet thought would be enough.

I can confirm for all those who are researching the fitment for cars with the M Sport brakes that 18 inch wheels do fit. I have purchased a set of 619 18 inch wheels (all 112x5 ET30) and just fitted them as a trial. They clear the brakes with room to spare. They rotate freely front and rear, even the balance weights in the centre of the rim clear with no issues.  BMW have confirmed the winter setup they offer is non staggered with 245/45 R18 all round. My original wheels are the 759 M Sport with 245/35 R20 front and 275/30 R 20 rear. 

Thanks for that! I was just thinking about what to do about the staggered situation - I have the same wheels as yourself

Edited by davey
mistakes

So what are the options for non-staggered 18" BMW genuine alloys?  These seem to be the best in terms of operation and cost of tyres.  We ought to have a list of wheels which are suitable for any 5 - Msport of not.

We know that 619 and 684 meet this criteria.  

Any others?

I've only just bought my G31 530d Msport with the MSport+ package, coming from a F11 520d SE, and the thought of winter wheels never crossed my mind.  During the beast from the east earlier this year, I had no issues.  I've got a 5 mile journey across country roads before hitting the M5 down to Exeter so the majority of the time is spent on main roads.

Is this something it is advisable to go to over the winter months, to help with stability and traction?  I suspect if I tell the wife that I now need to spend another couple of grand on spare wheels/tyres, she will be very unchuffed.

Edited by Saftlad

I have the 540 xdrive and figured may as well get winters again. Had them with my 530d and if nothing else they save your main alloys from the worst of winter. I can concur its quite satisfying steaming past people with the winters on.

Managed to get some 664m's - they are knackered and unfortunately staggered but they will have to do cos they were relatively cheap. Get them quickly refurbed in gloss black and then save my pennies for the rear tyres...!

36 minutes ago, Chris Margetts said:

Managed to get some 664m's - they are knackered and unfortunately staggered but they will have to do cos they were relatively cheap. Get them quickly refurbed in gloss black and then save my pennies for the rear tyres...!

G30s only been out 18 months or so. Some careless sods around to knacker their wheels in that time!

3 hours ago, Boba said:

G30s only been out 18 months or so. Some careless sods around to knacker their wheels in that time!

Yep... must have done some miles also as they are shod with 'Winrun' non run flat tyres... Sounds like a quality brand to me :)

Hi Guys

I would suggest Hankook Kingergy 4S tyre had them back to back on my e39 530i, last set lasted 38K miles would have lasted longer if it was not for the tracking going wayward, bloody potholes.

That distance was over A roads and twisty B roads as there was a long daily commute for the school run.

They are all season with silica compound very good imo never felt like car would struggle on snow always felt confident.

did have to buy a standard rim for the rear and used the spare for the rear as the car did originally have staggered wheels, which just does my nut in lol

Will be equipping my F10 with these before the fluffy stuff arrives