Boba

Which Wheels Will Fit For Winter?

I generally swap wheels/tyres for the winter so I plan to acquire a spare set sometime over the next few months. Can't afford a new set from BMW of course! Is there any guidance anywhere as to what wheels will fit the G31 that I might find on the used market? I guess just any old set from any BMW won't do the job.

G30/31 has new offsets compared to old F Series cars so you will need new wheels. 

Ebay will be your best bet to get cheapest wheels and out winter tyres on those. 

Nope; the G30 onwards are 5x112 rather than the usual 5x120 that BMW have used; plus the CB is different too...

Think Audi have the same 5x112 pattern, but may need to check further for CB measurements and offsets too!

**Edit: Quick Google and found this: https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1321330

Looked for this the other day as my sis-in-law was asking about winter alloys too

Sorry, we haven’t reached the ‘longest day yet’ so IMO threads about winter tyres are too premature:D:D, I’m keen to understand the answer too but will revert in Aug / Sept. 

1 hour ago, BacktoBeemer said:

Sorry, we haven’t reached the ‘longest day yet’ so IMO threads about winter tyres are too premature:D:D, I’m keen to understand the answer too but will revert in Aug / Sept. 

Nows the time to buy the tyres though, out of season/demand = cheaper!

Agree with above. Places like TyreLeader will allow you to buy direct from Germany where they are super cheap now from the season just finished

11 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

It's only 217 days until Christmas, it'll be upon us before you know it. :D :D 

Anyway, as pointed out, no point in waiting until the season's here and prices have risen ;).

Edited by Boba

29 minutes ago, Boba said:

It's only 217 days until Christmas, it'll be upon us before you know it. :D :D 

Anyway, as pointed out, no point in waiting until the season's here and prices have risen ;).

Yuk horrible thought (for those of us working in the supply chain at least) although I think you'll find it is 218...... :rolleyes::P

Really fair point about the prices - brings a whole new meaning to 'shop early for Christmas' ..... Good luck let us know what you settled on and then I can sort mine out too, are you are after wheels and tyres or just tyres?

Still thinking about this. I have 245x35x19 on the front and 275x35x19 on the back on my G31. Would 18s fit OK without fouling anything (I expect so). Any real harm in running 245x45x18 all round for winter? Not likely to carry much weight.

Edited by Boba

On 5/30/2018 at 9:48 AM, Boba said:

Still thinking about this. I have 245x35x19 on the front and 275x35x19 on the back on my G31. Would 18s fit OK without fouling anything (I expect so). Any real harm in running 245x45x18 all round for winter? Not likely to carry much weight.

As long as they clear the brakes and have tyres that are the right diameter/radius/thingymebob so that the speedo isn't out; you'll be fine! 

Use a tyre calculator to see re tyre difference; as long as it's in +/- 2.5%, it's fine!

Another query on the wheel sizes.  I have a 530D with the Msport package and 20" (summer) wheels.  Can I go for 18" winter wheels, I know previously it has been said to be OK but are there bigger brakes/calipers on the Msport 3.0 as opposed to the Msport 2.0?0 that would require 19" rims?

Thanks

Finally bought a set of grey 18"x8 684 rims with new Goodyear run-flats for the winter months. Wondered for a while about going for narrower 17" rims but didn't fancy sacrificing too much of the looks ;).  Not a huge choice of original rims around for the G31 it seems - there's a little more choice importing from Germany but I decided not to in case of any need to return things. So they're in the garage until Novemberish. I don't suppose they'll make a world of difference to the legendary awfulness if it snows much but that aside they'll be that bit safer through the cold wet months.

Edited by Boba

You’d be surprised how much difference winter tyres will make, as long as you are sensible with your right foot, you will get around just fine.

21 hours ago, AdamBell said:

You’d be surprised how much difference winter tyres will make, as long as you are sensible with your right foot, you will get around just fine.

This

I won't drive my BMW (any BMW) without winter tyres on over winter now

They're so much better in the rain than normal tyres, more so when it's cold

Winter 17/18 proved to me that my initial outlay for winter alloys & tyres was the right thing to do; we had quite a bit of snow at home, plenty of cold days and cold wet days too and then with our usual jaunt up to Dunkeld for a week in Feb (one night 6" of snow fell and it was nearly 1ft deep by the time we left at the end of the week); they proved their worth more than once!

On 15 July 2018 at 3:57 PM, AdamBell said:

Oh don't get me wrong - I always swap to winter tyres around the end of October, just that after the last half-a-dozen years driving  large front wheel drives I'm all too aware of the proportion of stranded rear wheel drives I've come across (though not necessarily equipped for winter of course).

but I'm still happy to have returned to BMWs of course ;) .

Edited by Boba

Even on michelin cross climates (not true winter tyres, but M+S marked) we made it to the top car park during a venture up a very snowy and popular sledging spot in north wales.

Parked the 1 series between a row of off roaders, the only non 4x4 up there.

Worth the £60 a corner for that alone on hers! 

My 530d f10 happily trudged past our stuck local royal mail van while wearing 245 width crossclimates. I did stop to ask if he needed a hand, carried on with zero dramas. You'll have no issues. 

Edited by SuperDave

On my first rear wheeler Movember last year and first thing I did was to organize winter tyres on another set of alloys. Thank Fook I did as here in North of the better belt done me proud. However I will also state that the winter gob shite tyres are not for only snow..... But rain and heavy winter rain but the scaredom promotion has goosed that....... 

20 minutes ago, Bush Pig said:

Will 662M 18" wheels 275/245 fit over M sport brakes? If not I may have a set for sale.........

Not sure.

Have you checked the cost of winter tyres?  When I looked I struggled to get the wider rears for sensible money.  275s were REALLY expensive......

I noticed them when I was wondering what to get. They don't get so great a review compared with the better-known (?) makes but I did see quite a few second-hand sets of wheels from Germany fitted with them.

On 7/15/2018 at 9:49 AM, Boba said:

Finally bought a set of grey 18"x8 684 rims with new Goodyear run-flats for the winter months. Wondered for a while about going for narrower 17" rims but didn't fancy sacrificing too much of the looks ;).  Not a huge choice of original rims around for the G31 it seems - there's a little more choice importing from Germany but I decided not to in case of any need to return things. So they're in the garage until Novemberish. I don't suppose they'll make a world of difference to the legendary awfulness if it snows much but that aside they'll be that bit safer through the cold wet months.

Does this mean you will using same width front and rear rather than staggered? 

11 minutes ago, Mr H said:

Does this mean you will using same width front and rear rather than staggered? 

Yes. I have staggered just now though the SE generally as "standard" aren't but IMHO there's very little difference aside from looks especially on a 520 which isn't likely to spin them overmuch ;). Wide winter tyres are hard on the pocket too.

2 hours ago, Boba said:

Yes. I have staggered just now though the SE generally as "standard" aren't but IMHO there's very little difference aside from looks especially on a 520 which isn't likely to spin them overmuch ;). Wide winter tyres are hard on the pocket too.

Cheers that helps a lot with the research :D