Olsrey

'05 525d No Power

It looks like those back pressures are absolute so nothing to worry about there. Good spot though Jake. I had missed a blocked DPF being a possible cause.

Looks like those charge pressure control deviations are the problem. I'm not so familiar with the 525d but that could be a vacuum hose or pressure converter amongst other things.

I'm not familiar either, I can't see any pressure converter for the turbo in realoem other than for the EGR valve and electric valve for the swirl flaps.  The variable geometry turbo must be controlled by an electronic actuator  - vanes not fully opening under WOT.

I have been told to check vac lines but I’m not home now till tomorrow evening at the earliest so will have to do it then.

would any of you expect the turbo actuator to move when being revved? The actuator has started to make odd noises when I unlock the car 

It's difficult to say - the car behaves very differently when there is no load. I'd be checking your vacuum system first, a problem controlling the EGR could also cause your fault codes - which in turn are triggering the limp mode.

Your DPF is clearly blocked with those back pressure readings. That's why your have no power when accelerating. You need someone with DIS to connect to it and force a couple of regens and also tackle the reason why it hasn't done so in the past.

8 hours ago, 5SPORT said:

Your DPF is clearly blocked with those back pressure readings. That's why your have no power when accelerating. You need someone with DIS to connect to it and force a couple of regens and also tackle the reason why it hasn't done so in the past.

Can Carly force the regen in the same way? If so I’ll be able to do it sooner with that. 

If you have paid the extra for dpf in Carly then yes you can it worked for me in the past on a previous e61 

Just now, Tomrx7 said:

If you have paid the extra for dpf in Carly then yes you can it worked for me in the past on a previous e61 

Yeah I have done before for my old car so I’ll give it a go.

Do you think it would be worth getting a company to come out and do a carbon clean  to help clear the dpf too?

I would do a couple of force regens first to see how that goes then as someone mentioned before look for the reason it’s not regening itself , you could pay someone to clean it but if the existing problem remains you end up in the same situation again 

9 hours ago, Olsrey said:

Yeah I have done before for my old car so I’ll give it a go.

Do you think it would be worth getting a company to come out and do a carbon clean  to help clear the dpf too?

Drive the car with C310 and monitor the back pressure and report findings. A clean dpf around 2k rpm will have back pressure between 25mb and 40mb. Anything below 10mb at idle is good.

11 hours ago, jake13 said:

Drive the car with C310 and monitor the back pressure and report findings. A clean dpf around 2k rpm will have back pressure between 25mb and 40mb. Anything below 10mb at idle is good.

C310 showed 0 back pressure. Not sure if that’s a fault of it or not so will try with Carly on my way home tomorrow. 

On 5/22/2018 at 9:40 PM, 5SPORT said:

Might be a silly question, but I know for a normal regen to happen certain conditions need to be met first; engine coolant temp for one, but does forcing a regen get around these conditions or will forcing a regen not work if a normal regen won't work?

You don't actually force a regen, you "request one", all the conditions still need to be met. Coolant temperature, exhaust temperature, amount of fuel in the tank and free from certain error codes.

However you can perform a "passive regen" simply by driving for over 45 mins on the motorway once the car is up to temperature. That cleans out the DPF nicely without the car needing to do anything special.

1 minute ago, JasonH said:

You don't actually force a regen, you "request one", all the conditions still need to be met. Coolant temperature, exhaust temperature, amount of fuel in the tank and free from certain error codes.

However you can perform a "passive regen" simply by driving for over 45 mins on the motorway once the car is up to temperature. That cleans out the DPF nicely without the car needing to do anything special.

Right OK. Don’t suppose you can list the conditions that need to be met so I can monitor them whilst I do a drive tomorrow to try get it to regen please?

BMW documentation says this

"Regeneration is started during the next drive as soon as the coolant
temperature reaches a value of at least 75°C and the exhaust-gas temperature before catalytic converter a
temperature of at least 240 °C. Additionally, the fuel tank must contain at least 10 litres.
The optimum effect of the regeneration is achieved when the vehicle is operated for approximately 20
minutes at a constant as possible speed of at least 60 kph after regeneration has started."

And this:

"Depending on the load condition of the engine, regeneration can take the form of targeted throttling of intake air in
conjunction with 1 to 2 post-injections. This raises the exhaust-gas temperature to approx.. 600 degree Celsius. The
residual oxygen in the exhaust gas (O
2) enables soot to be burned off. The regeneration of the diesel particle filter can
take several minutes. The interval stages for regeneration depend on the operating conditions of the vehicle over its last
500 kilometres. At high exhaust-gas temperatures, there is less soot buildup as a result of continuous incineration of the
soot particles.
In addition, every 700 to 2500 kilometres (depending on driving profile), regeneration of the diesel particle filter can be
initiated. In the event of failure of the exhaust backpressure sensor or of one of the exhaust-gas temperature sensors, the
diesel particle filter is regenerated every 500 kilometres.
"

However I don't think your DPF is the problem. I think you have another problem indicated by the fault codes you read.

8 minutes ago, JasonH said:

BMW documentation says this

"Regeneration is started during the next drive as soon as the coolant
temperature reaches a value of at least 75°C and the exhaust-gas temperature before catalytic converter a
temperature of at least 240 °C. Additionally, the fuel tank must contain at least 10 litres.
The optimum effect of the regeneration is achieved when the vehicle is operated for approximately 20
minutes at a constant as possible speed of at least 60 kph after regeneration has started."

And this:

"Depending on the load condition of the engine, regeneration can take the form of targeted throttling of intake air in
conjunction with 1 to 2 post-injections. This raises the exhaust-gas temperature to approx.. 600 degree Celsius. The
residual oxygen in the exhaust gas (O
2) enables soot to be burned off. The regeneration of the diesel particle filter can
take several minutes. The interval stages for regeneration depend on the operating conditions of the vehicle over its last
500 kilometres. At high exhaust-gas temperatures, there is less soot buildup as a result of continuous incineration of the
soot particles.
In addition, every 700 to 2500 kilometres (depending on driving profile), regeneration of the diesel particle filter can be
initiated. In the event of failure of the exhaust backpressure sensor or of one of the exhaust-gas temperature sensors, the
diesel particle filter is regenerated every 500 kilometres.
"

However I don't think your DPF is the problem. I think you have another problem indicated by the fault codes you read.

Thanks for that. I’ll have the day free tomorrow, what would you suggest I check? I do want to at least try taking the actuator off and making sure it moves freely and check the wiring to it if I can locate where it goes. 

The main causes of your charge air pressure control deviations (4530) are:

Air leak on the intake side, like intercooler hoses.

Leak on the exhaust manifold or around the turbo.

Faulty throttle valve.

Check EGR.

Check charge pressure actuator.

BMW also say code 4530 will block DPF regens.

7 hours ago, JasonH said:

The main causes of your charge air pressure control deviations (4530) are:

Air leak on the intake side, like intercooler hoses.

Leak on the exhaust manifold or around the turbo.

Faulty throttle valve.

Check EGR.

Check charge pressure actuator.

BMW also say code 4530 will block DPF regens.

How do I check the last three of that list for being faulty or good?

Edited by Olsrey

Cars fixed now, thanks all for the help. Turned out the turbo actuator couldn’t move because the rod was seized to it. Turbo vane arm moved freely though. 

Edited by Olsrey

Can you post the readings of the DPF now that the car is running ok? The back pressure seemed very high. I had to flush some water into the DPF and took it for a long run to get my back pressure to 38mb. Mine wont regenerate due to the main themostat not working.

One or both or my thermostats aren’t working either so need to replace them. Have bought them but with my limited time free it might take me weeks to fit them. 

Should just do the inline £5 Renault 5 thermostat in the top hose fix 

the car wont regen with faukt codes so use Carly every 500miles to clear codes and request regen 

good luck and well done at fixing 

JJ