Olsrey

'05 525d No Power

Hi all, just acquired an '05 e61 525d and the car has no power so struggles up hills.

I scanned the car for any fault codes but none came up, however I will scan it again tomorrow after driving it again.

One thing I have noticed is that I can feel the car actually accelerates faster if I used less throttle, so the more throttle I use the less/slower the car increases speed. This is noticeable in engine note and actual feeling of acceleration.

There is a little smoke when it's struggling too, but not a great deal (Or at least from what I can see from my mirrors).

Where should I start checking for possible causes?

I have both a Creator C310 scanner and MyCarly if these will aid in a diagnosis too.

Thanks

Olly

Is the 525d a turbo? (Sorry not to familiar with it!) 

the reason being is when I had a 1.9 turbo diesel connect van one of the hoses decided to pop off and symptoms where as you describe! 

I remedied the problem by re-attaching the hose and all was well :) 

so maybe your issue is something similar? 

If you have to old 525d with the common rail thing then god help you! :lol: 

sorry I cant be any more helpful 

Pretty much all the time yeah, it'll jump off the line OK then seem to lose all power almost instantly. Like I said above it seems to accelerate faster if I use less throttle. I'm almost certain I can hear the turbo spool, but not obviously loud like a boost leak would be.

Sounds like a sensor is not reading right. Carly or maybe the C310 should be able to show boost pressure, see if you can check this over a drive. I'd also check the manifold air pressure sensor too (also affects the turbo too). 

I meant to check boost pressure today but forgot, I did check the DPF back pressure though with the following results;

Back pressure before DPF: 1012.89 HPA

Back pressure after DPF: 1002.89 HPA

Soot mass 37.05g

Ash mass 10.12g

Don't know much about DPF's but I'm guessing these values are OK as there isn't much variable in the back pressure results meaning there isn't much of a restriction?

What you describe is exactly like limp home mode. I think there must be a fault logged that is triggering this. Perhaps one Carly can't read, maybe gearbox???

11 minutes ago, JasonH said:

What you describe is exactly like limp home mode. I think there must be a fault logged that is triggering this. Perhaps one Carly can't read, maybe gearbox???

I forgot to read the fault codes this morning before jumping in my truck so I’ll read them later on both Carly and my other scanner too.

Why gearbox? 

3 minutes ago, JasonH said:

Sometimes non-BMW fault code readers can't read modules like the EGS (gearbox) and a gearbox fault would definitely reign back power.

I’ll see if I can get inpa installed on the laptop again. Didn’t know the manual gearboxes had an ecu though?

Ah perhaps I should have read the whole thread in detail.....no if it's a manual then I don't think that has an ECU. But I would recommend trying a fault code read with at least INPA, ideally ISTA-D or DIS V57. The performance you describe is just like limp mode.

5 minutes ago, JasonH said:

Ah perhaps I should have read the whole thread in detail.....no if it's a manual then I don't think that has an ECU. But I would recommend trying a fault code read with at least INPA, ideally ISTA-D or DIS V57. The performance you describe is just like limp mode.

Ah OK. Will try that when I get chance. If it was limp mode would the boost readings get that high though? According to google 1453hpa is roughly 21 psi

on Carly if you go into settings and turn on additional obd it will read bit more if you haven't already done so 

2 hours ago, Tomrx7 said:

on Carly if you go into settings and turn on additional obd it will read bit more if you haven't already done so 

Haven’t already but I will next time I use it, was told by someone else to check the actuator moves when being revved and it doesn’t move. From memory of my old 318d i could hear the actuator moving when I unlocked the car, but today when opening the 525d I could hear a noise but not what I was used to from the old car. 

Fault codes picture will be attached too. 

1F0A27D9-1C3C-40BE-8E9A-8154BC7F7060.jpeg