I know this gets posted all over the internet, but hoping for a bit more specific advice. I’m a tiny bit disappointed at how quiet the 550 V8 is on idle and around town. Loving the car

i just want a tiny increase in bass, just a little deeper burble that I just don’t think it has (unless the soundproofing is too good in cabin)

i dont want want a snarling c63 copy.

i went to an exhaust place and said I wanted it to look stock etc, they said they’d cut out the front muffler and add two bypass pipes to the rear box so it will increase in sound when I give it beans.

im sure they know their stuff, but I’m a little scared. I just dont want to end up with a horrible sounding fake track car, just a slight release of the beautiful V8 sound and burble and maybe a volume increase foot down. 

Will this do it, or will it sound crap?

Edited by Easy-pd

It’s hard to say, as different types of metal give different sounds as does the thickness of the metal although I suppose the latter is more so if it’s a full system? 

The only real way for you to be happy with the sound is to be there and to listen to the noise as the company is doing it? Ie at the different stages, rear box off, it sounds like this, you happy with it? No louder please! So then they remove the front muffler, it sounds like this, you happy with it? It’s to loud now can we get a happy medium? And so on! 

I know it might piss the fitter off but at the end of the day it’s your car and you want it correct to  your standards and not to sound like a corsa with a cherry bomb exhaust....

:lol:;) 

What's the general consensus then regarding bmw v8 exhausts? 

I previously owned before an Alfa GT V6 with the busso engine and that thing sounded incredible, almost supercar like with a Wizard exhaust. The custom one I had on it previously was a mess and it droned big time. 

So after that I will only have a system that's had the research and development done it for my car and not a custom one built there and then by the fitter. 

Or is a muffler/s delete a good option ? 

I left mine stock, the engine makes a subtle German noise.  It ain't no Chevy V8 burble that's for sure.  When you do give it the beans, mine had a bypass valve in the back box to limit it to only one tail pipe.  Above 4k rpms it opens and the snarl happens. 

Its been designed to scare Porsche drivers.  If they hear you coming they can get ready to fight. 

Sneak up on them, then open the taps and unleash the V8, bye bye Mr Porker.

I toyed with the idea of a performance air filter to get more of an induction roar.

I still miss the sound of my 545i. :(

My 550 has performance panel filter and a powerflow tailbox (it’s probably at least a quarter of the size of the original twin rear silencer)

its loud

i was after more noise, the powerflow definitely supplies it, it’s far from subtle

So torn, starting to develop a love for the German V8 after a bit more driving. If I’m changing my mind after a day, I think I need to live with her a bit more. It sounds tight and highly tuned, rather than sloppy and raw power is the only way I can describe. It’s a higher note, less bassy, slightly reminiscent of an F1. Slightly....

so, if I just got these bypass pipes on the rear box, it would sound as is, unless I put my foot down? Is that right, or does it need to have a silencer delete to work? I’m liking the idea of the sound it has now, unless it’s opening up and then snarling and showing it’s true colours

Totally loving the sleeper touring/estate that scares the crap out of anyone who tries though!

2 hours ago, Iain550 said:

My 550 has performance panel filter and a powerflow tailbox (it’s probably at least a quarter of the size of the original twin rear silencer)

Does a performance panel filter make any difference on a v8? Not looking for a few horses when there’s plenty there, just a bit of noise. If mine were on volume 3, I’d want it to go to 4, that’s all...

2 minutes ago, Easy-pd said:

Does a performance panel filter make any difference on a v8? Not looking for a few horses when there’s plenty there, just a bit of noise. If mine were on volume 3, I’d want it to go to 4, that’s all...

NOT really? I had a K+N cone induction kit on my E39 535i and it did make the engine slightly louder, all  but it at a cost of 1mpg....

bastards....

:lol: 

8 hours ago, Easy-pd said:

Don’t notice any difference volume wise at all with panel filter

22 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

NOT really? I had a K+N cone induction kit on my E39 535i and it did make the engine slightly louder, all  but it at a cost of 1mpg....

bastards....

:lol: 

A time first I thought ‘What’s 1mpg going to do?’, but then i remembered that I’m doing less than 20, so 1 mpg is quite a big deal :)

I stumbled on this, not sure if M-Sport exhaust has it, but I start up and for a split second she sounds great. I’m off Monday and waiting in for an electrician and window fitter, so I’ll have a sneaky look. I like that if mine has this valve it’s a lot more reversible than welded and cut pipes. If I can turn the volume from a 3 to a 4, I’m a happy man...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=606636

Edited by Easy-pd

The exhaust flap is operated by vacuum, I can’t remember if vacuum is used to hold the valve closed and reduce the noise. If it’s closed by vacuum and therefor reducing noise, just disconnect the small bore vacuum supply hose from the pump on the drivers side bank = greater volume level

The vacuum opens the flap. I've disconnected the pipes from the solenoid and joined them together with a non-return valve (from an aquarium shop - £1.99 for 2!) Valve now stays open and isn't dependent on engine revs increasing the vacuum. Exhaust noise is now more noticable without being intrusive or annoying and it can be put back to standard in seconds.

Yes, I joined the pipes only to find no difference. I got under the car and the flap had been tied open with a piece of wire!

im going to have a play and put it on a switch, but I’m waiting for the plugs to arrive so I can do it without cutting wires and can return it to normal if I want to.