Sign in to follow this  
wattsmonkey

'95 518i running issue

Hi chaps,

This is my daily driver and has served me very well for the last 2k miles and has only just passed its mot.

I have a problem relating to starting the car.  It appears to be running on only three cylinders when started, with grey/blue smoke being blown out of the exhaust.  Pressing the throttle will stall the car, but leaving it idling for a couple of minutes sees it returning to all four, at which point it will run, but will still chuck out smoke for the first mile of the drive, then it's fine.

I had to change out the complete exhaust for the MoT with a crappy aftermarket system (so it sounds horrible all the time), with a new lambda sensor, but the running issue was certainly not immediately apparent. There is no blowing from the manifold or the joint.

I have not done a compression test or looked at the plugs, but I have not come across this sort of problem since I had a car with points!

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks,

Rob

Take all the plugs out and look out for a dirty oil fouled plug, does the smoke smell like burnt oil? Could be valve stem oil seals, have you changed the oil recently? To a thinner grade perhaps?

Do you think it could be leaky injectors? perhaps fuel collecting overnight and so its running massively rich at start up until burnt off and it clears its throat?

Does it seem to be temperature related ie ok once warm?

I had quite a few faults with the car I bought and I eventually found the main problem and sorted it but replaced quite a few things before I figured it out, mine ran like a bag of crap when first started but this wasn’t the problem I was trying to fix, as a matter of ruling things out i replaced the o2 sensor, although it didn’t fix my main problem the car ran spot on from cold after replacing it, cost bout £20 from the usual auction site

, I also have the overpowered 518i :ph34r:

Edited by TerryTibbs

Ah. Better brain than mine confirmed head gasket.

Thanks for all the help, chaps.  Have got rid and bought something else.

Rob