Max Dawson

EGR valve malfunction on F10 520d, jerky gearchanges

I have a 65-plate 520d B47 auto, still under warranty.  In the last 2 months I began to notice that gearchanges were becoming sporadically jerky. Reported this to the service advisor when the car went in for its routine 60,000 mile service. No faults were found, but 2 days after the service I noticed the engine management light sometimes stayed on. 1500 miles later, I suddenly found the car shuddering and repeatedly stalling when I tried to move off from rest, "driveline fault" error message appeared on dashboard, and then when I did get rolling, throttle response was very poor and kickdown was reluctant to operate. later the same evening I took the car out again and it seemed to be working normally, albeit with jerky gearchanges. So this morning, I called BMW emergency assistance, described the symptoms and was told that a faulty EGR valve was the probable cause. Mobile technician duly turned up within an hour, hooked up his compuer, confirmed the diagnosis, and fitted a new EGR valve (to latest spec). Job complete within approx 35 minutes, and, lo and behold, car now runs perfectly and the autobox changes gear smoothly.

Lesson: jerky autobox gearchanges are an indicator of EGR trouble. Also, EGR valve replacement is a quick and simple job (for a BMW technician with the right kit!)

Welcome aboard.

The EGR is known for failing on young cars albeit with slightly high mileage like yours.  A search on here will throw up a few EGR issues so you are not alone.

So did the tech who came out as part of BMW Assist fit a new EGR there and then?  They must carry a few spares.....

I know my dealer has had lots of EGR replacements on 520D's with B47's (not sure if the same part is used on the larger B series 6 pot diesels???)