crash.uk

missing pixels

hi all, i am sure this is a common occurence.

i have a 2002 e39 auto, pixels from the dash are slowly going, 

can anyone recommend somewhere who can rectify this?

i am  north london.

i have been told that a company called BBA Reman do a pick up, repair and deliver back service, has anyone used them?

also have abs pump sensor issues going on so that will need sorting out together

cheers all.

My Touring low OBC, and I was able to do the DIY repair myself using a kit from eBay - really wasn't difficult at all and took about two hours. Not sure if doing it on the clocks for high OBC is any harder or not, but I would be surprised? 

Edited by chicaneuk

Well BBA-Reman hmmm, used them in the past to refurbish my ABS module on a 2002 E39 this was 4years ago. Now the module is playing up again. Planning to send it for another refurb at another cost approx. £150. Started reading some reviews on BBA spoke to a few members and friends. The reviews were so appalling and the question is why did the module fail after the refurb. I will suggest you do some reading on them and make a decision whether.......

18 hours ago, chicaneuk said:

My Touring low OBC, and I was able to do the DIY repair myself using a kit from eBay - really wasn't difficult at all and took about two hours. Not sure if doing it on the clocks for high OBC is any harder or not, but I would be surprised? 

I'm sure its not hard but for peace of mind i preferred to let Baris do it!

On 5/23/2018 at 8:25 AM, Paddy O'Furniture said:

Don't know if Rudi is still around,  he did the pixels on mine when I had it. He was in Southampton. 

I think he may have gone back to SA. When I visited him four years ago, that was his plan I recall.

On 5/23/2018 at 9:00 AM, coolhand9 said:

Cartronix in Waterlooville do a 24 hour return postal service or a while you wait. I took my E39 there a few years ago, popped the dash out, dropped it in to them and by the time I had breakfast and a hair cut it was done.

https://cartronix.co.uk/

How do you 'pop the dash out'...!?

From memory you remove trim (wood or whatever) from either side of steering wheel. 

This reveals screws allowing you to remove the surround that holds the light switches. There are then screws to release the clocks. 

Various things need unplugging but not hard.   

6 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

From memory you remove trim (wood or whatever) from either side of steering wheel

This reveals screws allowing you to remove the surround that holds the light switches. There are then screws to release the clocks. 

Various things need unplugging but not hard.   

Dropping  the steering column as low as it will go will allow a bit more room to wiggle the dash out giving access to the multi plugs as the back (only two I think). Once you've worked out where everything is it can be done in a couple of minutes.

I think Rudi is still around, I got a maps disc off him recently. He did my cluster 5 years ago, it's still going strong today.

car is booked in with carphonics on saturday.

going to do the cluster pixels, add bluetooth and maybe an amp to boost the tiny speakers that come in a 5

thereafter maybe a head unit upgrade or repair

will update once it is all done

as i am in north london it makes sense to go there.

enjoying the feedback.

cheers all

pixels are back, yay  there was also a bulb blown for the cluster, so i have to go back and get this sorted. but as its just a matter of popping the cluster in and out ,it shouldn't take long.

also fitted is a blue tooth and small amp. i think the amp makes the sound clearer, s i am definitely happy.

as said carphonics is a top guy,.

i also would recommend him.

on another note he was saying a lot of 5s are coming in from japan atm.  there is  a shortage in the UK apparently.

15 hours ago, crash.uk said:

....on another note he was saying a lot of 5s are coming in from japan atm.  there is  a shortage in the UK apparently.

Can you tell me what did Carphonics charged for the job? I have a few missing on mine.

And yes, there are a lot of ex Jap' 5s coming over - I bought one!

sure, he quoted me £100.00 for the cluster and charged me £20.00 for removal and re-fitting, .

i drove there in the car.

it took about two hours, so i took the bus into Enfiled.

hope that helps

how did you come across the imported 5?

On 5/30/2018 at 8:14 PM, crash.uk said:

sure, he quoted me £100.00 for the cluster and charged me £20.00 for removal and re-fitting, .

i drove there in the car.

it took about two hours, so i took the bus into Enfiled.

hope that helps

how did you come across the imported 5?

Thanks - I ended up calling him and he told me the same. There's no urgency but I will be paying a visit during the summer.

As for my Jap, I'd been following a fairly local dealer/importer's website for a fair while, probably a couple of years 'umming' and 'ahhhing' about it. I went along in February to view a 530 Sport, but ended up coming away with a 540 Sport :lol:.  

Mad money some of them and I had my doubts, but I came a way with a virtually 'as new' 540 Sport with low miles, decent history and high spec. And there was plenty of room for negotiation, so I didn't pay anywhere near the advertised price.

www.gmscars.co.uk