Busterbvi

Wrong size rear wheels !!

Well I have owned the car for a good few months now and just discovered my rear style 66 rims are the wrong size ! Took the car to the local tyre shop to

swap the NSR tyre onto the spare which I wanted fitted to the rear as the rim is in much better condition. When fitted I noticed the rim was wider, a quick

measure across the rim lip to lip was 10in, all others are 9in ! So, anyone got a good condition 10in style 66 to sell me for the other side ?

Style 66s only came in 8J and 9J flavours (8 and 9 inch); if yours is deffo 10" then it much be a replica or it's been widened

Are you positive it's a 10" alloy?! Are you positive it was measured correctly?

You should have x2 8J alloys up front, x2 9J alloys on the rear

Edited by d_a_n1979

That's what I thought. Look at these pics, I have my hand through the wheel holding the tape measure hooked onto the inside lip.

Definitely not welded and wheel looks OEM.

NEAR SIDE FRONT

BMW RIM 1.jpg

NEAR SIDE REAR  (Was the spare)

BMW RIM 2.jpg

Edited by Busterbvi

Don’t forget the width (9j etc) is the internal tyre seat so the external measurement will be bigger. Looks like one of the rear has been replaced at some point with a front? Think saloons should have a staggered setup and tourings are the same all round.

^^

As above, you need to measure them with the tyre off ;) 

You need x2 8J and x2 9J ;) or you can go for a square set up, means you can rotate tyres then, if that's your thing and you can either have x4 fronts (8J) or x4 rears (9J) all round

6 minutes ago, Busterbvi said:

Thanks chaps, Any good reason the rears are wider than fronts on the Sport saloon ?

Rear wheel drive cars pal; wider tyre =  better traction and handling (apparently)

Looks mainly. Fair enough on a rwd race car but not a 230bhp family wagon. The sports that came on style 37s have 265 wide tyres on the back, completely over tyred. 

50 minutes ago, lufbramatt said:

Looks mainly. Fair enough on a rwd race car but not a 230bhp family wagon. The sports that came on style 37s have 265 wide tyres on the back, completely over tyred. 

I currently have 265's on the rear and it will not spin the wheels in the dry even with a V8's worth of torque, in the wet on the other hand....:wink:

I had staggered on my E34 touring, looked great, but the extra in tyre price and not able to rotate them front to back was an issue, and I also came across some square setup RC090's.

Check in the boot to see if you've got your spare wheel fitted. There might be a 9" alloy sitting in your spare wheel well.

The wider rear tyres will give you more traction but make the car understeer more. I had staggered 66s on my old Touring but ran 235 tyres front and rear, and it drove better for it.

And hopefully this nonsense of referring to wheel widths as "xJ" will pass soon.

3 hours ago, dan101smith said:

And hopefully this nonsense of referring to wheel widths as "xJ" will pass soon.

Doesnt the 'J' refer to the shape of the wheel rather than anything to do with the size ? Having said that I've never seen any road car wheels with anything other than a 'J' profile

I've seen JJ on some 4x4 wheels and trailers, presumably  the flange must be slightly deeper to help stop the tyre rolling off the rim.