lenny_13

Lowering an E60

I was wondering if any of you could help me. I'm not looking a crazy drop. As long as there is no arch gap, or tyre rubbing, I'll be happy enough. I'm not sure if lowering springs would do the job for me, or to go for a set of coilovers. I've been told you can run 10mm spacers on the front and 15mm spacers on the rear, with no tyre rubbing on the arch. The car is on genuine Spyders also. Thanks in advance.

Springs on their own is Eibach...but the Pro version is a stiffer ride if that's your thing. Or Pro Sport version which is less so. Won't cost you the earth either. Not sure about arch and rubbing though. I'm sure there is few posts about it..... 

Which E60 do you have (which engine) as petrol and diesel spring rates differ, so need to make sure you're souring the right items :)

My pal has a 530i E60 and he's on BC coilovers; he was on OEM dampers with Eibach (I think, but could have been H&R) springs beforehand and they were ok, but still didn't lower it that much (around 20mm) and he still got 'roll' when cornering... A set of BC coilovers on and they made a world of difference

However, you need to take into account the rest of the suspension and the top mounts and see whether any of that needs to be replaced as lowering will only add to current issues!

There is a plethora of choices out there for lowering your car; so you need to do some research and see what fits your budget and requirements...

However, for my tuppenceworth, once you've added up costs for dampers, springs, other suspension components, top mounts etc... It can be as or more expensive than coilovers! At least with coilovers such as the BCs, you'll get lowering and damping rates to faff with, so you can have your car ride as hard/soft as you like and at the ride height you want ;) 

**Edit: Re spacers; they all depend on how low you go and whether you're going to get arch rubbing, but general consensus is you'll be fine with 15mm all round, maybe 12mm on the rear, but the fronts have a lot more room. Just make sure that they're decent hubcentric spacers and you use the necessary longer bolts, or do a stud conversion etc :) 

Edited by d_a_n1979

I have a 530D SE with original 18" rims, i fitted a set of Eibach coil springs on standard dampers, total drop was 30mm, 15mm lower than a msport, i was running 12mm front and 20mm rear wheel spacers, no rubbing.

20180514_091939.jpg.4243896cfa1c9f391363a37d81d54004.jpg

With the same setup upto last week i was running with 19" rims with 245/40/19 tyres and still had no rubbing.

5aa40908b33f2_E602.thumb.jpg.93d025fa970ff30a8882143b091095de.jpg

If you want to go slightly lower, the H&R springs drop more than the Eibachs - they say 35mm drop from standard not Msport height, but they seem to drop a touch more. A little stiff but the car really grips and goes on them.