f4celess

RUST!! - Rear arch / quarter panel

Hi guys,

My E39 has bubbled up with some rust towards the back of a Rear arch, plus the same side quarter panel, just above the rear bumper.
I've been advised on these cars, it will have rusted from the INSIDE out ! Not great news.

Should this be relatively cheap and easy to repair ?

My worry is this might be the start of a lot more rust popping up all over the place, which will become not financially economical to repair. :( 

All depends on the body shop. You need to go and see a few and see what they say and go with the one you feel is right to do the work

Jacking points and the sills needs to be thoroughly checked too as they can rust and not be seen!

The rust you have is in the common places for an E39, so it's nothing new! 

At the age of these cars, economical repairs sometimes don't make sense, they're repaired as the owner loves the car etc

i have a similar issue, mines quite bad. Probably worse than yours. 

IV been quoted about £300-350 a side to replace the whole arch with a repair section and paint.

That's from a very good, reputable body shop in Sussex. 

Hope that helps.

Just now, d_a_n1979 said:

At the age of these cars, economical repairs sometimes don't make sense, they're repaired as the owner loves the car etc

The very reason mine will be getting done! 

Any pictures? Depends how early you catch it - if early enough than you're fine. I had the same 5 years ago - surface rust only on two places. Treated and all good - with Continental winters in between (salty roads). Now two more spots appeared (new locations - not previously treated areas)  - also easy to rectify surface rust. 

That bit above the rear bumper goes as there is a little metal bracket spot welded to the bottom of the quarter panel to align the sides of the bumper and the bumper rubs through the paint. Doubt that area has rusted from the insides.

check sills etc thoroughly though just in case.

Edited by lufbramatt

Remove all your wheel Arch liners, undertrays etc , hose down all the mud and muck, clean throughly and see what you got.

Check around the boot rubber ,petrol filler, Trust me this is an E39 and it will have some rust somewhere,

A lot of excellent advice. Thankyou all ! Plus as you state amazighman, will strip down the rear and see what extent it has rusted.

Ultimately as you state also  d_a_n .....  "At the age of these cars, economical repairs sometimes don't make sense, they're repaired as the owner loves the car etc"
....Exactly how much do I love my non-///M-Sport E39.  :D  ;) 

Yep, about year's ago we started to see E39's coming in with rust, back of the sill's before they come curve upto the rear arch, the rear jacking point, where the rubber bung is. Also the rear floorpan's, around here the factory bung is.

Also rear arches, and below the bootlid. We do no end of body cut's now for these