Welsley

Real world mpg and range

On 7/16/2018 at 10:15 PM, Babaikram said:

It seems 530d return better milage than 520d. Using Eco Pro I get about 50-52mpg on a 600mile return journey in my 520d

I manage 70mpg on a long stretch, 70 on cruise. 

My my long term just jumped up to 47 average on my daily commute. 

New job next week and only around 10 miles daily not 40 so that will drop drastically I suspect.

mog improved greatly once I hit 15k mileage 

According to the onboard computer after 10k I'm now returning 31.6mpg in my 540i - petrol return (real world) has 32.59mpg - I'm surprised the onboard is understating it? Does anybody know if it is actually based on total culm. miles or does it reset / show last 500 or last 1000 miles?

9 hours ago, Jonny2400 said:

15k mileage ... did you happen to change your tyres at around that time to a different brand Or model ?

Nope I still have around 5mm left across the tread from the same tyres that were on the car when I bought it new. Pirelli P7’s

8 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

According to the onboard computer after 10k I'm now returning 31.6mpg in my 540i - petrol return (real world) has 32.59mpg - I'm surprised the onboard is understating it? Does anybody know if it is actually based on total culm. miles or does it reset / show last 500 or last 1000 miles?

Yup, I also found that OBC rounds down. I posted on here some months ago, did a trip London to Leicester and back. Computer showed 64mpg but I had brimmed the tank when we set off and then filled back up at the same station. 

Worked out that the 13 or so litres I used all day equates to around 76mpg which was damn impressive. Wasn’t stuck in the left lane either

I'm currently getting 44mpg on my daily commute at 06:30 on Eco.  That's from 5 miles of country lane then 40 miles of motorway on cruise at 70.

One thing I have noticed is that the cruise isn't very good at merging off-throttle with demand.  When it needs to start applying any power from off-throttle, it immediately drops the indicated economy to 10 and you can feel/hear it drop a cog, which is neither smooth nor economical.  The F11 used to gradually add the power in which seemed a much more refined method.

1 hour ago, Saftlad said:

One thing I have noticed is that the cruise isn't very good at merging off-throttle with demand.  When it needs to start applying any power from off-throttle, it immediately drops the indicated economy to 10 and you can feel/hear it drop a cog, which is neither smooth nor economical.

Agreed. I don't use ECO much but I don't like the (approx 5mph) hysteresis it defaults to. People following seem to get irritated when the speed drops off and tend to close up behind especially if they're on cruise too I expect.

24 minutes ago, Boba said:

Agreed. I don't use ECO much but I don't like the (approx 5mph) hysteresis it defaults to. People following seem to get irritated when the speed drops off and tend to close up behind especially if they're on cruise too I expect.

But that shouldn’t be a problem if you’re in the middle lane giving space to overtake properly if you do slow down. 

2 hours ago, sjak92 said:

But that shouldn’t be a problem if you’re in the middle lane giving space to overtake properly if you do slow down. 

Of course, but there are no 3-lane motorways in Scotland (AFAIK, none in East/Central anyway) so frequent lengthy lines of vehicles overtaking truck convoys.

Edited by Boba

I get 30.5 in 540 g31 on 20s. Do eco pro most of the time and generally stick to 60-80 regardless of road :P

hardly do any town driving if none at all. 

Was hoping for mid 30s but only have 3k on it so may improve.

90 euros to fill up at the mo. Ow!

On 10/2/2018 at 10:06 AM, Boba said:

Resolve this by switching off the coast function in Eco Pro.  Now holds a constant speed when on cruise, at the cost of saving less fuel when fully off-throttle.