Welsley

Real world mpg and range

17 hours ago, Monkeyfinger said:

With respect, a rather outdated view with regard to the capabilities of modern engines and the rest of the technologies built into the cars....in my opinion, anyway...

I have no doubt in the capabilities of modern turbo 4 bangers , but the fact remains that a larger engine is going to produce more torque allowing for more effortless power delivery. And if going for petrol due to low miles the added fuel costs of the 6cyl will be negligible. 

1 hour ago, F10 530d said:

I have no doubt in the capabilities of modern turbo 4 bangers , but the fact remains that a larger engine is going to produce more torque allowing for more effortless power delivery. And if going for petrol due to low miles the added fuel costs of the 6cyl will be negligible. 

Very wrong. Mercedes AMG 45 CLA engine produce more power and the same torque (360hp and 450 Nm) compared to 540i (340 Hp and 450 Nm)  and faster than 540i (4.6 to 4.8s) . The exhaust note is far better as well.  Same could be said for 4 cylinder engines in Porsche and Audi RS cars

BMW is deliberately detuning their 4 cylinder engines in order to give markets for their 6 cylinder engines. 

Technology has moved on. Just buy what you like and enjoy 

4 hours ago, Babaikram said:

Very wrong. Mercedes AMG 45 CLA engine produce more power and the same torque (360hp and 450 Nm) compared to 540i (340 Hp and 450 Nm)  and faster than 540i (4.6 to 4.8s) . The exhaust note is far better as well.  Same could be said for 4 cylinder engines in Porsche and Audi RS cars

BMW is deliberately detuning their 4 cylinder engines in order to give markets for their 6 cylinder engines. 

Yep.. my last car was AMG A45...360bhp from 4cyl 2 litre turbo. Totally awesome, but I now drive a 530e. Go figure...

5 hours ago, Babaikram said:

Everything is a compromise. You lose something with maxing out a 4 cylinder engine.  You also gain something like a blatting exhaust

Inline 6 cylinder engines are intrinsically smoother and torquey, becasue they are perfectly balanced. They will be used where that is important - bigger premium cars rather than sporty 

MB are also now developing a I6 engine for their S Class. It has a similar performance profile (slightly better becasue its a 48v hybrid) compared to the BMW I6.  Its a proper hybrid - the starter motor starts the engine, and charges the battery, and also boosts power output

G30 530e.
Just withdrawn from the dealer (2 months ago) the car marked 34 km of autonomy in pure electric.
Gradually now it has adapted to 25-26 km of autonomy in pure electric.
Can someone share their experience?
In dealership they say it is normal and depends on the driving style.
Now at the beginning I was struggling a lot now are a couple of weeks that I go in echo pro and max edrive with "an egg" under the accelerator, but does not change the autonomy. Are these predictive algorithms so long to learn a new driving style?

180518erange.JPG

On 5/15/2018 at 6:05 PM, Johnyboy said:

I'll give it a wash this weekend, but if there's not a significant improvement then you'll be hearing from my lawyers!

Picture after the event then please.:P

On 5/15/2018 at 4:26 PM, Back2Beemer said:

520d SE (17" wheels).

Currently covered 9k miles, and long term average is 48.9, however I'm frequently seeing 54mpg on a good run now the weather has improved / winter grade diesel has disappeared, so fully expect that to go up more.

Easily clearing 700+ miles to a tank.

Just driven to the Cotswolds and back over the past few days, with good weather and limited traffic. Fair few stretches of 50mph average speed checks, otherwise driven at 80mph (just being honest!).

Indicated 62.8 mpg and theoretical circa 900 mile range. 

On 5/15/2018 at 4:26 PM, Back2Beemer said:

520d SE (17" wheels).

Currently covered 9k miles, and long term average is 48.9, however I'm frequently seeing 54mpg on a good run now the weather has improved / winter grade diesel has disappeared, so fully expect that to go up more.

Easily clearing 700+ miles to a tank.

Just driven to the Cotswolds and back over the past few days, with good weather and limited traffic. Fair few stretches of 50mph average speed checks, otherwise driven at 80mph (just being honest!).

Indicated 62.8 mpg and theoretical circa 900 mile range. 

18 hours ago, Babaikram said:

So people should buy whatever engines they want that suit their needs and pockets 

I think most people have, good sport to compare the MPG across the range and engine types - my 540 has now done enough miles (1200) for me to consider it run in, current MPG after a gentle few miles this week up to 32 it will drop considerably I'm sure once I start to ask it to perform as intended. :P

Just a quick glance through here and ill make some points. 

My daily commute is 38 miles both ways, london traffic, M25, then else traffic. ready in the afternoon. I average 44mpg and get way over 650 miles per tank. 

Funnily enough, never been on a long run yet. Will be going Leicster next weekend so around 120 miles, hoping to see 55mpg on the motorway. 

Now, sub points, 4 cylinders are the future, like it or not. Porsche now doing 4 cylinders, and the A45 AMG is rightly so, the best example to show high performance from small displacement and cylinder count. 

We all know that high capacity engines are a dying breed. Next M140i will be a 2 litre 4 cylinder I know this for a Fact. It will produce circa 400bhp. I also heard that the same engine may be used in the next M3/M4.Yes a Straight 6 3.0d BMW is a joy to drive, but honestly, in todays day and age, a 2.0d is more than enough for 99% of the population - until they are banned all together that is.

15 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

Everything is a compromise. You lose something with maxing out a 4 cylinder engine.  You also gain something like a blatting exhaust

Inline 6 cylinder engines are intrinsically smoother and torquey, becasue they are perfectly balanced. They will be used where that is important - bigger premium cars rather than sporty 

MB are also now developing a I6 engine for their S Class. It has a similar performance profile (slightly better becasue its a 48v hybrid) compared to the BMW I6.  Its a proper hybrid - the starter motor starts the engine, and charges the battery, and also boosts power output

So what is the downside of torquey  and powerful 4 cylinder engines with good power delivery and sexy exhaust note. Look outside BMW. I was in Volvo S90 diesel. It was quiet inside and with almost no grunting engine sound outside and with a smooth power delivery. The world is moving on

Edited by Babaikram

17 hours ago, saintalan said:

Hi guys I haven't been paying much attention to it but next tank I'll start to test it. Anything specific you want me to try on my 520i let me know.

My dad had a 520i back in 1985. 6 cylinders, 2litres. 130 bhp. Love the name... 520i

How you pleased with performance? As someone said, no one review on magazine whether the 530i is worth the difference. .. they all want to take the M5 back home instead. There are more reviews of M5 than potential buyers.

7 hours ago, Babaikram said:

So what is the downside of torquey  and powerful 4 cylinder engines with good power delivery and sexy exhaust note. Look outside BMW. I was in Volvo S90 diesel. It was quiet inside and with almost no grunting engine sound outside and with a smooth power delivery. The world is moving on

Not much and it will be very good in most cases. But the current I6 engines in the 5 series are the closest ICE analogue to all electric drive. 

There are lots of reasons why 4 cylinders are used - manufacturing , packaging , crash protection 

I've now managed to get to 31.3mpg despite selecting Sports Plus and letting it stretch its legs for the first time - 340 mile round trip yesterday averaged 34.6mpg actual (filled up just prior to departure and topped up again on return just to satisfy my curiosity) - the car said 34.7 so not too bad from an accuracy perspective.

5 weeks with my 530e, 2800 miles and averaging - 52.8mpg.  

It gets charged once a day. I’m still trying to maximize the electric range where possible but the kick down / eboost combo is getting called on more often on days out. 

My previous daily drive was a golf gtd and it’s was driven without care or thought to economy and returned 44mpg. 

So it seems for now that my hybridization is all for the good and I am a responsible motorist. !! 

With a 530D X-Drive MSport when i travel 15 miles to and from work I get low to mid 40's, long good A roads and motorway journey around 50 if I am not having too much fun but long journey for work when driving casual and on motorway it is easy to get mid 50's - 2 weeks ago on a 3 day trip from Lancaster to Newcastle to Northampton to Oxford (Cowley) to Croydon to Lancaster I averaged 65.2 on the Croydon to Lancaster trip and 62.2 overall from this journey.... admittedly the right time of day coasting through long 50mph section of M6 does help.... but 800 mile range is amazing from a 3 litre diesel 

mileage.thumb.jpg.47c14a85b5a263f729207a5a96a42ff9.jpg

On 5/18/2018 at 12:25 AM, Babaikram said:

Mercedes AMG CLA 4 cylinder engine  has the statistics below and faster than 540i. The exhaust note is better as well.

But it is a Mercedes and it isn’t a Beemer :D 0 to 60 in mine doesn’t take 4.6 secs.......

On 5/18/2018 at 3:20 AM, Babaikram said:

Being given 2 litre versions of my 3 litre A6 over the years and now having 2 litre version of my 530 I wouldn't like to go back to a 2 litre car, the 3 litre is just effortless and glides along, it coasts for further and is smoother.... 6 cylinders always smoother than 4 surely 

On 5/17/2018 at 3:15 PM, Hybrid5 said:

On 5/17/2018 at 10:33 AM, Monkeyfinger said:

Would I be correct in thinking it's the same motor that I  have in my 530e?

The 530e indeed has the same engine as the "regular" 520i ... some countries like Turkey and Greece put a 1.6L, 170hp engine in the 520i :D

I knew there was a reason why I’ve never had a holiday (well recently) in Turkey or Greece. :rolleyes:

So i just did my first “long” stint in my 520d. I have a 40m work commute but today, I went to Leicester and back, covered a total of 228 miles.

i brimmed the tank at the station close to home and refilled on the way back. Station half a mile from home.

when pulling in, I was surprised to see that I used less than a quarter of a tank. Drove within speed limits and avaraged 60mph (M1 50mph speed limit for some time).

used 13.6 litres of fuel. That works out to be 76.21 MPG in the real world. Car shows  a lot less at 64MPG.

Eco Pro for the entire journey. Very very impressed!

Some of you might have seen my introduction post where I’ve said how disappointed I am in our Apr ‘17 G31 520d compared to our Dec ‘14 F10 530d. 

At motorway speeds (average 61mph) it has only returned 43mpg on a round trip to Birmingham with the family on board. In comparison our 530 saloon managed 45mpg on two separate return trips to Ireland, arguably at higher average speed and with a heavier load.

Not impressed.

The new car is currently on 6k miles so people may say it needs to loosen up, but our last car was similarly low mileage per annum (about 8k) and didn’t need to loosen up at all to return a better mpg in the two and a half years we owned it. 

I don't know how long it takes to 'loosen up' or what difference tyres make (some, I guess). My 520d G31 is only at 3200 miles on 19" staggered and the computer thinks my average to date is 39.3mpg. A 50:50 mix of town and fast driving. I notice the computer long-term-average drifting between 38 and 40 so I guess my current mpg is about the same as the long-term-average ATM. Be good if it picked up a bit but TBH diesel cost isn't a big factor for me.

I’ve got just shy of 5000 miles on the bravarian beast (sounds better than German oil burner) now, a couple of weeks ago I went from home in Newcastle to Silverstone and back and averaged 62.4 mpg in the car.

i was mighty impressed with that as there were certainly times when I wasn’t driving in the most efficient way possible.

On 7/13/2018 at 7:41 PM, AdamBell said:

I’ve got just shy of 5000 miles on the bravarian beast (sounds better than German oil burner) now, a couple of weeks ago I went from home in Newcastle to Silverstone and back and averaged 62.4 mpg in the car.

i was mighty impressed with that as there were certainly times when I wasn’t driving in the most efficient way possible.

Interestingly I’m hardly trying to be economical either, and my MPG is easily in the mid to high 50s on longer journeys, and seen into the 60s on a couple of occasions. Must just be the Newcastle fuel is better haha.