Welsley

Real world mpg and range

520d SE (17" wheels).

Currently covered 9k miles, and long term average is 48.9, however I'm frequently seeing 54mpg on a good run now the weather has improved / winter grade diesel has disappeared, so fully expect that to go up more.

Easily clearing 700+ miles to a tank.

Edited by Back2Beemer

540i X Drive Sports running in (note running in !) 30.2 calculated and 30.3 in the car - I've not yet stretched its' legs !

2 tanks of fuel and 874 miles on the clock with a suggested range left of 195 mile so circa 530 a tank (70 litres i think) 

I didn't get it for it's MPG and suspect when I start to drive it as it is intended to be driven these will settle down to around the 26 / 27:rolleyes: MPG not dissimilar to the Audi S5.

Edited by BacktoBeemer

My guy at the main dealer reckons the G30/G31 are the only cars BMW have made that get anywhere close to the figures they put out there for MPG. I've seen high 50's on a motorway run and not hanging about.

7 minutes ago, Johnyboy said:

G31 540i - Average 25mpg, best single journey 38mpg, worst ~11mpg

They would have been better if you washed the 'carbon brown' dirt off........ :rolleyes: as you would have reduced drag and weight lol.....

I also get 600+ miles on a tank. 530 dx 

Right now the trip computer is displaying 45 mpg for 375 miles, with less than half tank used! Thats amazing for a car like this.  I agree the warmer weather seems to be improving the mpg

I remember reading the motoring reviews, who claimed a mid to high 30s mpg.  They must be really flogging it, becasue a reasonably fast driver should get 40 mpg. That nearly put me off this car and I was going to go for a 540i instead 

1 hour ago, Carrera77 said:

I also get 600+ miles on a tank. 530 dx 

Right now the trip computer is displaying 45 mpg for 375 miles, with less than half tank used! Thats amazing for a car like this.  I agree the warmer weather seems to be improving the mpg

I remember reading the motoring reviews, who claimed a mid to high 30s mpg.  They must be really flogging it, becasue a reasonably fast driver should get 40 mpg. That nearly put me off this car and I was going to go for a 540i instead 

You wouldn't get close on the 540i if mine's anything to go by.....

18 minutes ago, BacktoBeemer said:

You wouldn't get close on the 540i if mine's anything to go by.....

you driving a 740i X  or 540i x?

I could live with it if the car was doing 30 mpg cause my mileage isn't that great. There is huge limitations on driving fast these days - the massive 50 mph roadworks on the M6 etc. Even if you drive in Lincolnshire,  you get stuck behind traffic doing 50-60 mph and there are few overtaking opportunities. In fact the occasional mid range overtake is all what this car gets to do ;(

1 hour ago, Carrera77 said:

you driving a 740i X  or 540i x?

540i - typo earlier now corrected!

Honest John’s real world average mpg (interesting read) shows 45.2mpg for the G30 520D 

Sadly not enough data for the G30 520i

The F10 520i is showing an average 26.7mpg (although official mpg is only 42.8). I suspect the new one is much more efficient. 

Can't imagine a 4 cylinder petrol would suit the 5 very well - it's a bus after all! It will constantly need to be revved to get anywhere, therefore leading to higher fuel consumption respectively.

What it needs is plenty of low down torque, something even the 4 pot diesels deliver quite well. If going for petrol due to mileage, I'd definitely be considering the 6 cylinder 540i as fuel economy is likely to be near enough identical to that of the 520i as it needn't work so hard to build momentum. In theory anyway...

4 hours ago, F10 530d said:

Can't imagine a 4 cylinder petrol would suit the 5 very well - it's a bus after all! It will constantly need to be revved to get anywhere, therefore leading to higher fuel consumption respectively.

What it needs is plenty of low down torque, something even the 4 pot diesels deliver quite well. If going for petrol due to mileage, I'd definitely be considering the 6 cylinder 540i as fuel economy is likely to be near enough identical to that of the 520i as it needn't work so hard to build momentum. In theory anyway...

As you say in theory. The 520I is a cracker of an engine

12 hours ago, F10 530d said:

With respect, a rather outdated view with regard to the capabilities of modern engines and the rest of the technologies built into the cars....in my opinion, anyway...

10 hours ago, Dephead2004 said:

The 520I is a cracker of an engine

I am sure it is... but it’s really hard to find out anything about it! Most  online reviews are geared to the 520D. Anyone know of any good reviews and in particular it’s performance and economy?

58 minutes ago, Welsley said:

I am sure it is... but it’s really hard to find out anything about it! Most  online reviews are geared to the 520D. Anyone know of any good reviews and in particular it’s performance and economy?

Would I be correct in thinking it's the same motor that I  have in my 530e?

4 hours ago, Monkeyfinger said:

Would I be correct in thinking it's the same motor that I  have in my 530e?

The 530e indeed has the same engine as the "regular" 520i ... some countries like Turkey and Greece put a 1.6L, 170hp engine in the 520i :D

520D 10k on the clock

Current tank - 34.5mpg (lots of short journeys, coupled with a slightly longer mad dash)

Usually 42ish

Best full tank - 47 (I think)

Best temporary (50mph average speed camera check...) 54

18 hours ago, Monkeyfinger said:

With respect, a rather outdated view with regard to the capabilities of modern engines and the rest of the technologies built into the cars....in my opinion, anyway...

Seconded.

4 litre porsche cars are beating 6 cylinder BMWs in drag race and handling. 7 series now have 4 litre engines. 

Mercedes AMG CLA 4 cylinder engine  has the statistics below and faster than 540i. The exhaust note is better as well.

Brand  Mercedes-Benz
Model  CLA
Generation  CLA Coupe (C117)
Modification (Engine)  AMG CLA 45 (360 Hp) 4MATICEdit data of this car
Doors  4Edit data of this car
Power  360 hp/6000 rpm.Edit data of this car
Maximum speed  250 km/hEdit data of this car
Acceleration 0 - 100 km/h  4.6 sec

So people should buy whatever engines they want that suit their needs and pockets 

Edited by Babaikram