f4celess

New E39 owner to the forum

Hello guys,

I'm new to the forum. Had my E39 about 3 years now. BEST car I've owned!

Looks a great forum, plus nice to find a Bimmer forum in the UK. Makes alot more sense. :)

Below is quite a recent photo of my ride:

28254829778_723923d970_c.jpg

Edited by f4celess
It's simply NOT an "MSport" !!

Welcome :)

And before you get shot down :lol: There is no such thing as an E39 'M Sport' in the UK; they're just a Sport.

Only the 540i in the States received the M Sport name and then the E60 models onwards ;) 

Hi !!

Learn something new every day. So every UK website, car trader, person on the street, my pet dog, who has referred to these as "M Sports" has got it wrong in all these years...  ;)

I'll also try correcting the Subject of this thread, as not to cause more offense (even more so to "fellow" BMW enthusiasts who know it right).  :)

27 minutes ago, f4celess said:

Hi !!

Learn something new every day. So every UK website, car trader, person on the street, my pet dog, who has referred to these as "M Sports" has got it wrong in all these years...  ;)

I'll also try correcting the Subject of this thread, as not to cause more offense (even more so to "fellow" BMW enthusiasts who know it right).  :)

Yup, all wrong... They just like to think it makes it sound better/more expensive :lol: 

///M sport = BMW ///Marketing 

as Dan has already stated the E39 was never a M sport (check your V5) it is only a sport ;) 

not to rub rub salt in your wounds but I have an actual ///M-sport! :D :P 

ok its a 320d touring but it IS a ///M-sport! :lol: 

I wouldn’t mind but the sportiest thing on it is a pair of my gym socks that I should really take out, especially as it’s coming into summer....

:lol:

anyway, welcome along ;) 

Mine does also have 'double glazed' windows (literally 2 panes, sandwiched together with an air gap). Front and back. I'd like to call it "bullet proofed" !  :D An agents car in a previous life. Some kind of James Bond lifestyle / fantasy. :ph34r::lol:   It does make the cabin virtually silent (no outside noises). Is this a standard feature on these too, or a special Spec ordered by the 1st owner?  

Agreed the "///M" badging only means its got the styling package plus suspension, there's no engine/performance differences, just different bumpers, black grilles, door trims etc.
Although, looking into the "Sport" vs "M-Sport" previously, there did appear to be a few styling differences??

Edited by f4celess

1 minute ago, f4celess said:

Mine does also have 'double glazed' windows (literally 2 panes, sandwiched together). Front and back.
Is this a standard feature on these too, or a special Spec ordered by the 1st owner?  

That’s a rare option! 

No one likes a show off.....

:P;) 

1 hour ago, f4celess said:

Mine does also have 'double glazed' windows (literally 2 panes, sandwiched together with an air gap). Front and back. I'd like to call it "bullet proofed" !  :D An agents car in a previous life. Some kind of James Bond lifestyle / fantasy. :ph34r::lol:   It does make the cabin virtually silent (no outside noises). Is this a standard feature on these too, or a special Spec ordered by the 1st owner?  

Agreed the "///M" badging only means its got the styling package plus suspension, there's no engine/performance differences, just different bumpers, black grilles, door trims etc.
Although, looking into the "Sport" vs "M-Sport" previously, there did appear to be a few styling differences??

Nice, double glazing is a fairly rare option, more so on a 528i :) 

I can see the car sits fairly low, is it on coilovers or springs/dampers?

The alloys look very well 'tucked'!

There is a (BMW) Website you can type in your VIN Number, and it returns all the factory options your specific vehicle was fitted with.

On there it does state all the extra toys. I think there was other stuff too, I should check again....

Yes, she's wound right down on a set of Coilovers. 19" staggered deep dish alloys (wider dish on the rear). Stretched tyres = no rubbing. Was forced to go stretched, replacing all 4 tyres, once wound down (no arch rolling). Unfortunately with our poor UK roads + speed bumps, the front bumper takes some abuse, difficult to avoid.  :(

I've zero issues with my 19s and I'm on coilovers pal ;) It's all about finding the right ride height and not going too low really

Like you said; our roads are terrible. Really bad where I live, more so on the country lanes that I use daily! Even some of the bypasses have large potholes! :shock: 

I run OEM sized tyres too, as per my sig, and don't have any rubbing, but the rears needed to be 'up'd' about 5mm to stop inner arch rubbing. I personally wouldn't touch stretched tyres, they do nothing for the ride or handling and TBH, insurers don't take them lightly. I've a few 'pals' that have run stretched tyres and been involved in accidents and insurance didn't pay out as the tyres were out of OEM tyre specs! Worth considering IMO

Stretched tyres are stronger than regular tyres, by their design. Can take massive sideways / cornering stresses and not warp or lose form (compared to regular tyres).
As proven on drift cars - which is where the stretched tyre was originally utilised (before the streets).

Stretched tyres also often fail the UK MOT. My car flew through a couple of weeks ago. They are not on silly stretched tyres, only mildly done, to clear the rear arches.
Perhaps my rear wheels are wider than yours (being a deeper dish on the rear), also perhaps I have the coilovers wound down further. ;)   There's many variables that could differ.

If I wanted "convenience" then I can easily wind up the coilovers Several mm or cm.
However that's not the reason I went for the Coilovers (and could have just put on some Springs)... I'll stop complaining.  :)  Plus importantly, all Mods declared with insurance company.

Yes, but unless your car is a specific 'drifting car', your tyres weren't designed to be stretched or for standard road-going use... That's what I'm trying to get at

I've clearly no idea what I'm talking about though... I'll leave this thread be :roll: 

11 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yes, but unless your car is a specific 'drifting car', your tyres weren't designed to be stretched or for standard road-going use... That's what I'm trying to get at

I've clearly no idea what I'm talking about though... I'll leave this thread be :roll: 

Oi stop pissing on my chips! I’m the one that upsets the newbies....

:lol: :lol: :lol: 

Clearly a tag team! :D  You are doing a great job guys! 3 years down the line of ownership, I'm told my car isn't what I understood it to be. Now I'm being told the tyres I bought that are MARKETED plus designed to be stretched (written in the tyre manufacturer blurb/build process), are clearly not stretched tyres!..... lololol. d_a_n... don't worry mate, I (that's a capital " I " will leave - you've been here much longer - would have more to lose). :razz: :D  It's been a fun stay while it lasted.

On the ///M, M-sport, sport issue who really gives a shit?

Sure check its not a dressed up se but bmw covered it with ///M badges but what you call it does it really matter?

The ///M brand has been diluted along time ago.