Matthew Ashton

ISTA and DPF Regen History - SOLVED

Hello all, 

Is there anyone out there who knows ISTA well and can tell where I can find the DPF Regen statistics or history please? I know where I would go in ISTA to force a Regen but I can't find the history of automatic Regens done previously.

Now solved - Thanks to all of those contributing. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

21 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Hello all, 

Is there anyone out there who knows ISTA well and can tell where I can find the DPF Regen statistics or history please? I know where I would go in ISTA to force a Regen but I can't find the history of automatic Regens done previously.

Hi Matthew, are you sure the software even allows viewing of historical stuff?   I tried a quick google or two for you and nothing much of use came up sadly. If I stumbled across something will give you a shout.

In related news, I ought to get into the whole ISTA and/or CARLY for BMW band-wagon....have been meaning to do it for a while for the force of a regen, and to read the current DPF clogged state, if it allows that of course!

37 minutes ago, Sarjoo said:

Hi Matthew, are you sure the software even allows viewing of historical stuff?   I tried a quick google or two for you and nothing much of use came up sadly. If I stumbled across something will give you a shout.

In related news, I ought to get into the whole ISTA and/or CARLY for BMW band-wagon....have been meaning to do it for a while for the force of a regen, and to read the current DPF clogged state, if it allows that of course!

Hi, yep, nothing comes up on google for ISTA but I do see older cars with the previous Diagnostic software - DIS? you are able to see the history. Thanks for looking.

I'm thinking it must be logged in the DME control unit but just can't find where to access that status in ISTA.

3 minutes ago, apples12 said:

Would you happen to know how to read the current dpf status using ista?

I think for this you need the ISTA software on your laptop and a cable....OR the CARLY BMW gadget and cable(s)

I also need to figure out the same and get cracking!

I have the ista software installed and running, along with the requisite cabling

So far I've done some diagnostics and able to read injector values, clutch adaptation values and run various tests on modules and clear codes, just curious on where to find the dpf info...currently ticked over 103k on my 520d and wondering if I need to pencil in a dpf repair soon! 

16 minutes ago, apples12 said:

I have the ista software installed and running, along with the requisite cabling

So far I've done some diagnostics and able to read injector values, clutch adaptation values and run various tests on modules and clear codes, just curious on where to find the dpf info...currently ticked over 103k on my 520d and wondering if I need to pencil in a dpf repair soon! 

ah right sorry I thought u meant how to get ISTA and so forth, ur a step ahead of me :)

I think BMW say the DPF needs re-fitting at 100k....that's what my dealer told me anyway

55 minutes ago, apples12 said:

Would you happen to know how to read the current dpf status using ista?

That is the purpose of this thread, to find someone how knows where to find the section in ISTA to read the current or historic values

Cant remember the exact path but this screenshot will hopefully help (that i took when checking my DPF status). under the screen that lists all the modules, i believe there is a button along the likes of "ECU functions" or "Call up ECU" that will give you the top window, from there you need to select the data parameters you cant to view and then read the state:

792611470_dpfstatus.thumb.PNG.c628089e01ffa51c2b4f98f805ff3869.PNG

21 minutes ago, Sarjoo said:

ah right sorry I thought u meant how to get ISTA and so forth, ur a step ahead of me :)

I think BMW say the DPF needs re-fitting at 100k....that's what my dealer told me anyway

There is no set interval to "re-fit" the DPF. If it is clogged beyond repair it will need replacing and I'd like to think you'd know as the performance would be seriously degraded. The idea is that the cars are driven such that they don't get clogged and the built in Regen processes work efficiently. I am just nosey and want to know when last the Regen was done and what the current state of soot build up is.

2 minutes ago, IINexusII said:

Cant remember the exact path but this screenshot will hopefully help (that i took when checking my DPF status). under the screen that lists all the modules, i believe there is a button along the likes of "ECU functions" or "Call up ECU" that will give you the top window, from there you need to select the data parameters you cant to view and then read the state:

Thank you, very helpful. I'll take a look at this later on and report back.

After the full scan click the DDE module then I think the button near the bottom left that says bring up ECU functions, after that you should see microfilter (DPF)

15 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

After the full scan click the DDE module then I think the button near the bottom left that says bring up ECU functions, after that you should see microfilter (DPF)

Yes, did that and you get 2 options both to do with Regening the DPF - no historic values. I think Nexus has hopefully won the prize though with the diagnosis scan tab. I assume the engine may need to be running for this.

Matthew I know Carly can read the the figures, but yes the engine does need to be running to show the values in my attempts to find further information.

Thanks to all who contributed and specifically @IINexusII and @GoNz0 for pointing out the error of my way. I was going into Service Functions rather than the ECU itself which is why I was only seeing the service function to force the regen rather than the diagnosis scan.

Here is the screenshot from ISTA for my car and the last regen was 623km ago and it states my DPF is good for another 186920KM!. Don't know if 18g of soot is good or bad.

F11 DPF Status 1.pdf 

16 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

I wish my LCI 535d gave soot mass but ISTA+ doesn't show that for some reason.

@Sarjoo https://www.bmwmvideos.com/bmw-diagnostics-software/bmw-rheingold-4-10-20-standalone-sdp-4-10-21-ista-p-3-64-0-600/

Thanks I had a quick look, how do I know if I need this rheingold version or the ISTA+ version?  Also process is straight forward?

Is this effectively the same CARLY in what it can do?

28 minutes ago, Sarjoo said:

Thanks I had a quick look, how do I know if I need this rheingold version or the ISTA+ version?  Also process is straight forward?

Is this effectively the same CARLY in what it can do?

I'll send you a PM. Rheingold and ISTA are one and the same. You just need to download and install the software and acquire an ENET cable.

Edited by Matthew Ashton

As above, it is the same thing. Spend a tenner or less on the enet cable for F series and above and provided you have a laptop you have the same diagnostic tool BMW uses, It was a sad day when I had BMW come out with me using this and I had to show the cockwomble how to get gearbox and coolant temp on the same screen to stop him having to swap between 2 screens :blink:

18 minutes ago, GoNz0 said:

As above, it is the same thing. Spend a tenner or less on the enet cable for F series and above and provided you have a laptop you have the same diagnostic tool BMW uses, It was a sad day when I had BMW come out with me using this and I had to show the cockwomble how to get gearbox and coolant temp on the same screen to stop him having to swap between 2 screens :blink:

Either of these for example seem suitable?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Interface-Cable-ICOM-Coding/dp/B01F8J2E3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1526417868&sr=8-1&keywords=enet+bmw

or

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ENET-OBDII-Coding-3-28-1-ROYALTEC-blue/dp/B07B2HZ64Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1526417868&sr=8-2&keywords=enet+bmw

?

22 minutes ago, Sarjoo said:

Both look ok.

You would do well though to double check the wiring against the ENET wiring diagram when you receive the purchased cable. I was recently doing some remote coding for a chap and he bought an ENET cable from EBay and he ended up having to do a little soldering work as the cable was very shoddily put together. Here is a link to the wiring diagram. https://1drv.ms/b/s!AlCeGFGAKZWikHFVYtPQjGOLcZ8T 

10 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Both look ok.

You would do well though to double check the wiring against the ENET wiring diagram when you receive the purchased cable. I was recently doing some remote coding for a chap and he bought an ENET cable from EBay and he ended up having to do a little soldering work as the cable was very shoddily put together. Here is a link to the wiring diagram. https://1drv.ms/b/s!AlCeGFGAKZWikHFVYtPQjGOLcZ8T 

Thanks Matthew will bear this in mind

I have the blue one, only used it to pull files from my CIC as I have an E60 so need the dcan for everything else.