Sign in to follow this  
525-Jay

Long Overdue TLC....

Right, you treat them well & they'll look after you.

In June I want to feel a huge difference so I'd prefer doing all these things together:

- Oil/filter change

- Fuel filter change

- Performance Air Filter clean (Simota)

- Pollen filter change

- Crankcase breather change

- MAP/MAF Sensors (subject to the advice I get here http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/132961-can-someone-help-mapmaf-sensors/)

- Main thermostat change

- New Brake Discs/pads although this may get delayed

I'm skeptical about a Terraclean. I have an LCI without EGR/DPF. Open to hear opinions, anything else you guys can recommend?

Edited by 525-Jay

I've used Terraclean a few times now, on a previous 728i and on the wifes previous 1.8 TD Focus and it worked very well both times, more so on the Focus

Engine was less tractor'ish, economy was better and it picked up better too!

The 728i was done as a test really; but the engine was a lot smoother/quieter afterwards

If you're mechanically confident, pull the inlet manifold off and slip a local garage a tenner to throw it in their parts washer. Even with the EGR mapped out and deleted there will still be a few thousand miles of baked on accumulated crud in there. Replace it with new seals and the jobs done. Terraclean or (the competiton) Injector Max - a lot cheaper and still fuel and detergent in a bottle. Just not paying for the name. I've had them done before with positive effects. The car was a lot quieter last time and it's by far the best way you'll clean out the fuel system. 

I'd personally only ever do it before the fuel filter. They'll probably connect to the fuel lines under the rear seat so any crap in the lines before the filter will end up in it, no point filling up a new filter. I'd do the cleaning first then the fuel filter. If they're connecting after the fuel filter in the engine bay (same pipes just easier access but you don't get to run through the lines or the heating element in the filter housing that doesn't get changed) it won't matter if you do the fuel filter before or after. Personal preference is just do it after you've done the cleaning though.

I did a terracleaner. It was connected  to the pipes under the bonnet. Mpg improved straight away. No more shakes and usual stuff. Just change the engine oil and filter after you do the terraclean, that's  a must.

Sounds good. I need to find a local vendor in North/East London

It looks like I'll be starting with a terraclean and possibly do the rest after (maybe next day to give immediate effect)