Simonr60

Battery discharge warning

Hi there.

So this morning my wife came in from work (works nights) and said when she first started the car this morning a high risk of battery discharge warning came up on the idrive, this is the first time and I've had a trawl of the internet and got a few different cause's, I still have a months warranty left on the car so hopefully can find the issue,

The car mainly does short round town trips, would the battery need a charge and would this need to be registered or is that only of the battery is changed.

It is a 2008 E60 lci 520d with 23k on the clock.

Many thanks

Si.

There's a heavy electrical/electronic load with these cars and short trips may not provide enough charge to recover what's taken out in starting the beast. You could try a long charge overnight which may help, or the battery may be dying. If its still under warranty that would be my first port of call though. There's no need for registering or coding if recharging, only if you fit a new battery.

So a quick update...

I came home tonight and put the car on charge (ctek charger) and the battery is quite low (still on charge now), anyhow I sat in the car and with the doors shut and everything turned off so it was quiet I could here what I can only describe as a low humming noise from the centre single CD drive/ control area it wasn't a cd spinning noise or buzz/ crackle/data noise so I'm not sure if it is the drive, could this be my possible battery drain if so what could it be..

Thanks

Si.

That could be the car running checks. My old E46 used to open and close the blend doors every third time it was started or something when you turned the ignition off. 

It might be worth getting the battery checked at ATS or somewhere similar, it could just be a weak battery. If you have a multimeter, you can do tests for a parasitic draw.  

There are plenty of videos on youtube on how to do it, You'd have to give the car upto an hour to shut everything down after you turn the ignition off. 

Edited by Deviant

3 hours ago, Simonr60 said:

low humming noise from the centre single CD drive/ control area it wasn't a cd spinning noise or buzz/ crackle/data noise

Probably the climate fan sniffing the air temp, behind the small plastic grill above the rear demister button, often fills with fluff if you don't push a hoover/soft brush on it every now n then ;). Normally powers off when the car goes to sleep.

If you are charging the battery in the car, check the voltage across the battery is less than 15v (slow charge) or you may cause damage to other electrical components.

Edited by DarkHorse
typo's

If your IBS (intelligent battery sensor) is either unplugged or not working, the car will not optimally charge the battery based on usage. Apparently it charges the battery faster when it recognises you are doing shorter journeys. It may also be worth registering the battery once full charged out of the car, as it also will not charge to full capacity if it thinks there is an old knackered battery in there. I learned all this when I installed a new battery after buying my car and it made no difference, only sorting out the IBS and registering kicked the new one in to life.