amazighman

E39 530i steering wheel wobble

Hello everybody,

My 530i is not behaving well , i have this wobble in steering wheel that only comes very rarely  especially if you accelerate hard  from standstill or going at medium speed , it only lasts for like 10 seconds and goes away, it never happens  under breaking .

i did check the control and trust arms and seem ok , was wondering if this could be due to tie rods inner parts where it joins the steering rack?

any ideas welcome.

thanks

Edited by amazighman

Tie rods, worn dampers or maybe top mounts, worn tyres, crack on the brakes or sticking sliders/piston on the calipers etc

Could be all sorts really...

Bushes need to be checked with a decent pry bar really, any slight movement can cause issues on these cars

Edited by d_a_n1979

Not sure if tie rods would give wheel wobble though, more an annoying clunk etc

Ideally it needs to be up on ramps so it can be thoroughly checked over underneath... Calipers are hard to check though; do the alloys get hot after braking at all? If so, either sliders or pistons are sticking

Last time it happened i set off quite quick whilst turning right...

No Dan the calipers are not sticking , checked all and they have never been hot, also checked them with wheels off the ground and they seem to free up straight away after you left your foot off the brakes.

I thought that if my steering wheel shakes right left that bad it has to be smth linked to it like tie rods.

I am off for two weeks so i will check various components

I would suspect the right front shock in that case. If  there is no wobble when turning left that's pretty much it - unless you're unlucky enough to have both shock fail at the same time - unlikely. Any oil leak on visible on the struts?

Worn tie rods do not cause steering wheel wobble (as per my experience with e34, e39 and e38) - just imprecise steering and clunking noise when driving over road imperfections. 

I've been getting steering wheel wobble (shake) too. Comes and goes. You can try holding the wheel STILL by gripping it more firmly, or with both hands.

Strangely I've had a couple of cars (separate occasions) pulling infront of me then they do a little left/right swerve several times, almost like they are telling me something. This makes me wonder - can other cars see my whole car wobble or shake? Can this be visible to others?

I've had completely new suspension fitted + tyres + wheels balanced etc, so it's none of those....

Don’t rule out suspension again

If it’s not been fitted properly, and suspension arms torqued down, properly & under load, they can fail quickly. More so if cheap parts are used!

Cheap brake parts can cause issues, hubs not cleaned before discs are fitted can cause issues, bad tyres can cause issues etc...

The list can be endless, things need to be checked carefully

10 hours ago, dmarkovina1 said:

I would suspect the right front shock in that case. If  there is no wobble when turning left that's pretty much it - unless you're unlucky enough to have both shock fail at the same time - unlikely. Any oil leak on visible on the struts?

Worn tie rods do not cause steering wheel wobble (as per my experience with e34, e39 and e38) - just imprecise steering and clunking noise when driving over road imperfections. 

No leaks from shocks.

I have to double check and make sure all what you guys suggested.

Its gonna be a pain but at least it is not a regular occurrence so i could live with it, but id rather get it sorted

Ordered the crow bars and will give th control and thrust arm a good testing.

Already thinking about ploy bushings for thrust nd control arms.

Any one - most likely Dan- knows where to get cheap ones? Powerflex seems quite expensive.

What about tool to press out the old bushings, any recommendations? How to insert poly ones as they dont have a steel frame?

Cheers

Unless you want engine vibrations and all lumps/bumps being felt through the car from polybushes, I'd stick with OEM and use Meyle or Lemforder parts

I've had cars fully poly bushed and front only and for our cars, IMO, it'd not be an improvement over the smoothness of how they're designed to be

Powerflex are about the best out there; but others are available on the Bay of Evil (I think)

I've used these on my front & rear ARBs though: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-BMW-E39-5-Series-Front-M-Sport-Anti-Roll-Poly-PSB-Bush-25mm-ID-31352229421/182603260535?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW|Plat_Gen%3AE39&hash=item2a8400a277:g:QCcAAOSwlMFZMWgs

Not sure if they do other suitable bushes... Can't see them listed anywhere

Edited by d_a_n1979

53 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Unless you want engine vibrations and all lumps/bumps being felt through the car from polybushes, I'd stick with OEM and use Meyle or Lemforder parts

I've had cars fully poly bushed and front only and for our cars, IMO, it'd not be an improvement over the smoothness of how they're designed to be

Powerflex are about the best out there; but others are available on the Bay of Evil (I think)

I've used these on my front & rear ARBs though: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-BMW-E39-5-Series-Front-M-Sport-Anti-Roll-Poly-PSB-Bush-25mm-ID-31352229421/182603260535?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW|Plat_Gen%3AE39&hash=item2a8400a277:g:QCcAAOSwlMFZMWgs

Not sure if they do other suitable bushes... Can't see them listed anywhere

In that sense it is better to buy new control and trust arms altogether instead of trying to change just the bushes which involves more work i could do without.

Whats the cheapest acceptable make.of control.and thrust arms i could go with?

Lemforder are best but dear.

Meyle; I've used them on every BMW and had zero issues. Just ensure that they're fitted properly and torqued up when the car is back on the ground, or each corner is under load

Replacing the arms will be more expensive than the bushes, but with labour involved, could be more expensive to do just the bushes as they can be a sod to get out at times!

I've used BMWmotormec via Ebay for most of my car parts and they've been faultless. Get the part number via RealOEM and take it from there on eBay :) 

ie: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E39-5-Series-Front-Tension-Struts-Control-Arms-pair-MEYLE-HD-31121141717-8/392034488996?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&epid=1470385981&hash=item5b471392a4:g:-toAAOSw~hBZ3qn3

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-520i-530i-E39-FRONT-LOWER-TRACK-CONTROL-ARM-Set-MEYLE-31122341219-296/273191733736?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&epid=11017017313&hash=item3f9b7f09e8:g:BEgAAOSwpNxau-Fe

Or separately:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-520i-530i-E39-FRONT-LOWER-LEFT-NS-TRACK-CONTROL-ARM-MEYLE-31121094233/372295053032?fits=Car+Make%3ABMW&epid=11017017313&hash=item56ae83aee8:g:RdAAAOSw3Z9au9~e

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-520i-530i-E39-FRONT-LOWER-RIGHT-OS-TRACK-CONTROL-ARM-MEYLE-31121094234-/392034452413?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10

If you contact them and say you're buying all the parts, they'll sort postage out for you and send it all in one shipment etc :) 

Edited by d_a_n1979

2 hours ago, dmarkovina1 said:

TRW should be ok too.

Trws are quite expensive, i know u get what u pay for, i am on a tight budget so may try meyle stuff or go down ebay stuff route full set for 90 quid crossing my fingers it ll last couple of years

7 hours ago, amazighman said:

Trws are quite expensive, i know u get what u pay for, i am on a tight budget so may try meyle stuff or go down ebay stuff route full set for 90 quid crossing my fingers it ll last couple of years

Stay away from eBay unnamed shite, or names that aren't known.

Meyle and Lemforder are the only parts to be used really, otherwise you'll end up right back at square one

However, it's your car and your budget

9 hours ago, dmarkovina1 said:

TRW should be ok too.

I don't rate TRW at all; had lots of issues with their stuff in the past. But it could have just been my situation etc

11 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I don't rate TRW at all; had lots of issues with their stuff in the past. But it could have just been my situation etc

I had issues with their brake discs, poor fitting. TRW (Lucas) is part of the ZF group.

I can vouch for Lemforder as been top of the range, but not so sure of Meyle is as it states made in Germany. Heard that it is just reboxed stuff made in far east with made in Germany labels....

What I do know tho is that Meyle is good budget brand

Most of the parts are made in China; just all to different regs and then labelled up per the brand it represents!

Many folk recommend Meyle and/or Lemforder. A lot of us have used Meyle parts many times and had zero issues... How much more do you need to be told that it's a good brand and worth trusting?!

I've personally used Meyle parts for all 3 BMW's I've had so far; never any issues at all and all of them have been driven fairly hard and they were dropped on coilovers! Also used Meyle parts in the cooling systems too, zero issues

If you're not sure, go for the most expensive. But, it doesn't mean it's the best! 

Edited by d_a_n1979

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Most of the parts are made in China; just all to different regs and then labelled up per the brand it represents!

Many folk recommend Meyle and/or Lemforder. A lot of us have used Meyle parts many times and had zero issues... How much more do you need to be told that it's a good brand and worth trusting?!

I've personally used Meyle parts for all 3 BMW's I've had so far; never any issues at all and all of them have been driven fairly hard and they were dropped on coilovers! Also used Meyle parts in the cooling systems too, zero issues

If you're not sure, go for the most expensive. But, it doesn't mean it's the best! 

Nothing is wrong with being made in far east using quality materials and correct procedures, it is just some importers that request cheap nasty parts to be made to an inferior standard to boost their profits.

I will stick with tried and trusted Meyle

Stick with using BMWmotormec as per those links and you'll not go wrong; they're very good!

On 5/17/2018 at 9:43 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Stick with using BMWmotormec as per those links and you'll not go wrong; they're very good!

Jacked the car up today after i have done few jobs, took a pry pay and found side play in top suspension arm.

Will be ordering some soon.

Bottom ones seem alright but could do with renewing as both are original BMW which I guess never been changed 93k miles 18 years