Vlady

Is that how the aluminium rust?!

Hi everyone, I found these on my front and rear wing, is this how the aluminium rusts? I tried to remove it with different stuff and polish it off but it doesn't go away?

Anyone has ideas and what to do with it? many thanks!20180513_151851.jpg.56519be24eb6c858b83feeb9e5c24660.jpg20180513_151906.jpg.d98f22b29ecad3b44b3d93f42c0608b3.jpg20180513_151906.jpg.b97ed20d1d66fd42056533547c636bdf.jpg 

I have it in my head that the rear wings are steel?

Front end is alu yes, to get weight down at the front but they needed the weight still at the rear so left the rear wings steel.

E60 in a front end shunt  = write off due to expensive aluminium panels. :(

I have another picture taken, this is a rear panel but they look similar to front.

Somehow above I attached 2 same pictures.20180513_151847.jpg.4599751446c5e541ffbde78216f76cc5.jpg

9 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

I have it in my head that the rear wings are steel?

Front end is alu yes, to get weight down at the front but they needed the weight still at the rear so left the rear wings steel.

Hi Andrew, thanks for a reply, in my head I though all of the panels are aluminum but I might be wrong.

What puzzles me that 2 years ago I re-paint front end (bonnet, both wings and bumper) and now this appeared, if it was badly painted then why I have it at the back wing if I never touched it?

May be I should take it back to the guys who painted and check with them?

Always worth checking with the forum 1st! :)

Looks more like oxidisation to me, alu doesn't rust either, it oxidises ;) 

Could be waters got under the lacquer and it's bad lacquer bloom. 

Either way, a trip to a local decent bodyshop or a professional car detailer will let you know their thoughts etc

It could be the metallic paint? But looking at your pics it looks more like on the surface and not under the paint?

That's not a lacquer nor a paint problem. It's the preparation of the bare metal (aluminum). Prior to applying the undercoat (if any undercoat was applied), the surface needs to be cleaned well with high pressure water jet, to get rid of the salts that get into the aluminum micro structure. If not, aluminum does not seal properly, oxidizes and that's what you see!

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Looks more like oxidisation to me, alu doesn't rust either, it oxidises ;) 

Could be waters got under the lacquer and it's bad lacquer bloom. 

Either way, a trip to a local decent bodyshop or a professional car detailer will let you know their thoughts etc

You are right Dan, it's more like it's oxidizes but if the rear wing (arch) is metal then it will be rust. I will pop in after work to a paint shop that painted the car front and see what they can offer or have to say, advice or whatever.

3 hours ago, euclid said:

That's not a lacquer nor a paint problem. It's the preparation of the bare metal (aluminum). Prior to applying the undercoat (if any undercoat was applied), the surface needs to be cleaned well with high pressure water jet, to get rid of the salts that get into the aluminum micro structure. If not, aluminum does not seal properly, oxidizes and that's what you see!

Can I take it to BMW then? Sounds like it was not properly done at the factory as rear arches never been respraid and they show this problem, they can refuse front wings though but the car never been in any accidents that I know of, who knows how many years BMW gives on paint protection? With my luck I will be to late! :(

5 minutes ago, Vlady said:

You are right Dan, it's more like it's oxidizes but if the rear wing (arch) is metal then it will be rust. I will pop in after work to a paint shop that painted the car front and see what they can offer or have to say, advice or whatever.

Only steel/iron based metals rust pal; aluminium doesn't rust

So if they are alu; it'll need to be sorted properly.

As you said; take it into BMW, or call them and see what they say. However, I doubt they'll take it on and it'll need to be a trip to a body shop

Deffo need to confirm if these panels are steel or alu though 

5 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Not necessarily, I think aftermarket steel panels are available, or else second hand genuine ones can be used

I managed to see BMW garage yesterday, the guy looked at it and said that driver rear side was repaired before which shocked me a lot, I didn't know that! 

Front ones start rust a little as well and he suggested to take it back to the place that painted it almost 2 years ago.

He also said that the aluminium only the bonnet, the rest is still.

These spots are not good, with my OCD it's pisses me off, I actually started looking for a new car! 

Can it even be repaired or the whole panel will need to be repainted?

Yes it can be repaired. 

Depends on the body shop and how good they are; a lot will say they'll be able to do up to a swage line, others will say they'd rather do the whole panel.

Go and see 2 or 3 local body shops; see what they say and choose from there

Cars rust/degrade, it's just what they do. So like you said, you either have it fixed, or sell it with taking into consideration the issues and get a price lower than you'd ideally want, due to these issues!

52 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yes it can be repaired. 

Depends on the body shop and how good they are; a lot will say they'll be able to do up to a swage line, others will say they'd rather do the whole panel.

Go and see 2 or 3 local body shops; see what they say and choose from there

Cars rust/degrade, it's just what they do. So like you said, you either have it fixed, or sell it with taking into consideration the issues and get a price lower than you'd ideally want, due to these issues!

Hi Dan, this what I will do but 1st stop is the place that painted the front of the car.

Lets see what they suggest/quote and I will start from there. It's not going to heart to visit another places to find out their opinion or suggestions as I am not sure what is the best way to go with, I have at least 3 panels that need to be done plus bottom seal (is that what you call the bit under the doors?) on driver side so not sure if it can be a local job (up to a swage line) or the whole panel to be done.

If it is more than £500-600 I will seriously consider buying another car! I really like my paint as good as I can!

Visited yesterday ChipsAway, front wings will be covered by warranty, that's good and rear arches with the seals got a quote £300, will be leaving the car with them tonight as this issue bothers me a lot! F...ing OCD! I have colleagues who never washes the car or polishes for that matter, the car gets washed after service and this is a BIG if and they have no problems with paint or the car being scratched or dirty! Am I nuts?!

10 hours ago, Clavurion said:

Front wings are aluminium too. You can easily test this with a magnet.

You are totally right, I forgot that you can check it that way! When I get car back on Monday I will check it unless someone already had done so after reading your post! :)

Can't wait to pick up my car tomorrow evening, I miss her! I really really hope the job will be well done!