Scotty97

Dreaded DPF warning

Well yesterday i had the dreaded DPF warning message.

I have only had the car a few months, and since then i have change thermostats, removed swirlflaps and recently had oil change etc.

Temperatures are reaching between 88 and 90 degress.

Im looking for the best way to get the car to do a regen?

Not sure why it hasnt as i do a 80 mile round trip daily, but do use the car for some around town driving on week ends.

I currenty have a OBD2 generic reader and use OBD Fusion.

Can this be used to clear the DPF fault code while driving to try and get car to regen?

Or am i better off purchasing a different dongle and software?

(ps i dont have laptop so trying not to go down that route)

If you've done the thermostats and the car is reaching a good temperature, it's probably either your glow plugs or glow plug controller preventing a regen. You need a decent code reader really to get the answer, a generic one will not be up to it.

If it has logged codes relating to the emissions system it won't regen, a generic reader isn't much use on our cars.

I just downloaded the lite version of carly to see if it connected to my generic OBD 2 dongle, and it did.

Heres the DPF page.

Can anyone explain to me what the 'Regeneration Requested 8.00' means?

Also listed some errors but will not let me view without buying full app.

carly.PNG

Personally I did the plugs and module at the same time, I hadn't planned it but once the manifold was off I could measure the resistance and found 3 were open circuit so I did the lot, turns out it is best to do the lot anyway as a faulty plug can take out the module. The engine needs to be at running temp to remove the glow plugs, ideally with a torque wrench that can be used in reverse (not a £30 silverline thing with a ratchet switch as that isn't the same) set to 30nm to stop you snapping a plug.

Looks like you may need a new throttle body if the fault doesn't clear as that is whats stopping the regen taking place.

Well I just had my mate plug it in to his computer to clear all the faults, so I know I’m starting from scratch.

il see what faults come back up, and see if I need a throttle body aswell as the glow plugs and module.

I'm a bit confused now, drove to work this morning (after having fault codes cleared last night) and no Particle filter warning came on, but Soot and Ash levels are still the same.

I also notice that the 'Regeneration Requested 8.00' on Carly has now gone to 'Regeneration Requested 6.00'

Why is this message counting down, from 8.00 to 6.00??

I'am hoping to try and run a fault scan using Carly again later, and will post results.

I understood the number after regen requested wasn't anything to do with the amount of times it has been requested, I think 6 means it has been requested, 1 means it is done. Unfortunately with carly being so shit support wise finding the right answer seems impossible, maybe email them and ask what it means if you are a paying customer.

Soot and ash levels are at best a guess as it is impossible for the car to know the true content of the DPF, the only thing remotely accurate is the backpressure.

No idea, never had it to know m8. I use ISTA+

3 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I don't think Carly can read the back pressure. The soot content is a calculation based on the difference in pressure either side of the DPF. Ash content again is an internal calculation. 

Carly does give you some feedback on backpressure, but like a lot of the info I'm  unsure whether some of it is good or bad - its just info if I'm not sure how to interpret it! See attached - I think there may be a couple of other backpressure checks you can select. This screengrab is quite old.

Screenshot_2016-04-03-12-04-04.png

Think I found why my throttle control  was reading open (well I’m hoping it cos of this)

checked butterfly and feels nice and smooth and spring is returning easily.

just wondering if car will regen (forced regen) with glow plug errors or do I need to get these done to force s regen???

4C72DA61-D51B-4166-ADCA-777F03647820.jpeg

Being unplugged tends to do that, car will force regen with the glow plugs out of action.