Easy-pd

One of eleven...

Apparently one of only 11 uk cars, pics to follow over the weekend....

The bad news: I had to sell my absolutely beloved Alpina D3 mono for something ‘Dog friendly’.  I have covered 40,000 miles per year, every year for 4 years. Sold at 203,000 miles for a good, but fair price given the condition, love and maintenance. I was also told to ‘grow up’ in my car choice.

The good news: I now cover 6-8000 miles per year and my wife doesn’t really get cars, so likes them based on pictures. The picture of a 550 M-Sport touring got the thumbs up! 

This one was good history, very well looked after, no leaks at all and a credit to its previous owners (one of whom I believe fitted a Quaife LSD, otherwise she is untouched)

First impressions. Fuel actually not too bad compared to my 2l diesel!. I was expecting brutal V8 power, but it’s a completely different animal to the Alpina. Whereas the D3 was nothing until 2500 revs, then a smack in the nuts of 302lb of torque all at once, this is very refined. No more narrow torque band to keep to and I’m not even sure if the stereo works. I just drive around looking for tunnels with the windows down.

my only other auto box drive was a smart roadster and it was horrible. I love this, it’s effortless and smoother than most of my changes!...

I was disappointed at first, thought she was way slower than my D3, but then I looked at the dials and saw I was double the speed I thought I was and realised the level of driving licence loss risk I’m dealing with now. 2500 to 4000 revs of D3 torque feels like push you into the seat fast,. The 550 just has torque from zero to redline.. God it’s quick for a huge tourer, but so so so refined. The 5 Msport is beautiful inside compared to a poverty spec 3 series (as nearly all D3s were)

The 550 MSport tourer is incredible. I get as much attention from those in the know as I ever did in the Alp and oddly, I find that now there is a shedload of power under the bonnet, I don’t have to try so hard. I find myself just cruising, rather than thrashing. 

And that startup. That V8 burble on idle....

I’m in love all over again!

Only got the one from the sale ad at the moment. Don’t think it does justice. She sits really well on the M5 alloys and looks very imposing in the flesh. Flat out at work, so more pics to come...

C8BE1770-94C7-4028-BF2A-B950DC82251B.jpeg

29 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Welcome! Lucky  pooch to cruise about in that 8)

Not till the boot liner arrives on Monday!

1 minute ago, Yokozuna said:

Yeah, I saw that. It most certainly isn’t though (gets out of bed and peeps through blinds, just to check, grins again)

Just need to decide now:

Badge, or de badge. There are no msport badges apart from the door sills. I’m leaning toward losing the 550 badge on the tailgate and having her just badgeless. 

i want to get a teeny bit more rumble, so I need to decide on stock, custom stock looking exhaust, or all out quads. I liked the latter before I drove her, but she seems too refined to make her look like she’s pretending to be an M5, especially with the wheels already on. 

Thoughts? I’ll try to get pics tomorrow, weather depending.

25 minutes ago, Easy-pd said:

Not till the boot liner arrives on Monday!

Fair enough my four legged friend rides in a crate else we can't carry anything else!:P

To be fair, not seen a single one on my travels, but my mind is made up after a weekend driving. It’s not a screaming race car, it’s a relaxed but very quick estate. Custom exhaust, but as standard looking as poss it is. There’s a very good shop in cardiff apparently. I’ll live with the badges too for now...

Ooooh a proper BMW!

Glad you ditched a four pot Diesel for a decent  BMW.  

Keep an eye out under the bonnet, the N62 likes to loose its oil thru its many joints.....

Good luck with it.

Looks a nice motor that @Easy-pd Welcome to the forums :mrgreen:

A 550i touring would be an ideal next car for me, or a 545i, they rarely crop up though, so you've done well there :) 

IMO stay away from quad exhausts, it isn't an M5 (unfortunately), but a custom back-box with a twin exist to release some of that V8 loveliness would do it very well indeed, as would de-badging it ;) 

I wouldn’t de-badge it if it where me! 

As if/when you de-badge it, it could just be a 520d....

or if you do de-badge it make sure you stick a M badge on it just off straight then that’s it! You’ve cracked it.....

:lol: 

Just now, Yokozuna said:

As if/when you de-badge it, it could just be a 520d....

But Mr tightwad who bought a 520d and debadged it to hide his shame then forgets to do anything about the unique to 520d, the single pea shooter exhaust.

The V8 E60s have slightly bigger chrome tail pipes than the 6 pot versions, there is no hiding that a nuclear bomb lurks under the bonnet to the educated.

59 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

But Mr tightwad who bought a 520d and debadged it to hide his shame then forgets to do anything about the unique to 520d, the single pea shooter exhaust.

The V8 E60s have slightly bigger chrome tail pipes than the 6 pot versions, there is no hiding that a nuclear bomb lurks under the bonnet to the educated.

Yes but Mr tightwad goes to Mr eBay and finds a tip that looks like the tip off (let’s say) a 550i doesn’t pay for it as they scam the seller and hey presto they have a dirty smoking 550i but with no badge or engine or power or rd presence....

;) 

On 5/13/2018 at 9:41 AM, 535i Andrew said:

Ooooh a proper BMW!

Glad you ditched a four pot Diesel for a decent  BMW.  

Keep an eye out under the bonnet, the N62 likes to loose its oil thru its many joints.....

Good luck with it.

Hoping it’s good. Massive history from a dealer of some very high end cars. He got it, put 4 new tyres, some rear shocks and then stripped and replaced most of the places oil can leak from. I have a bill in the folder from last month for a grands worth of engine oil leak preventative jobs. Fingers crossed

In my first week, I’ve learned that apparently it has a stereo and the windows go up if you want. Haven’t tried it yet though....

D8DA4D02-DF98-47F7-A57E-F3C05BD1D168.jpeg

405C1769-5CFC-4B75-A4CB-2844D846C02D.jpeg

Very nice!

I bought a 645ci 2 weeks ago and I too have just found out that the windows go up and the stereo works!

Not that I ever do that as the V8 is music on its own. B)

2 hours ago, red35 said:

Not that I ever do that as the V8 is music on its own. B)

True'dat!

But because its German, its quite a refined snarl and not a proper V8 burble.