Welsley

New 520D - max £40k

Hello

I’m looking for ideas and advise on how to spec a G30 520D to come in just under the £40k and avoid the road tax surcharge. A private purchase throught a broker,  DTD seems to have some great discounts  at present. My current spec is:

520D SE Saloon

Alpine White (or may be flat black)

Black leather

Fine wood fineline ridge £250

18” 684 wheels £995

Privacy sun protection glass £390

High beam assist £150

Folding rear seats £335

Model deletion

Comes to £39,895 list price

What would you add / remove to keep under the £40k budget... and why.

Thanks.

Edited by Welsley

I would drop Sun protection glass. Gives you £500 to play with then. You can always tint windows later at will only cost £150 tops.

Id also reconsider the trim. Standard silver trim is very nice and will lighten the interior up with black leather.

With that in mind, you should have enough budget to add Sports Seats and Front Fog Lights (will change look of car).

I would also recommend the reversing camera, but that will take you beyond £40k. Are the split folding rear seats a must?

Thanks a lot very helpful

I’ve never been very keen on sports seats -  but worth a look at lumbar support (getting older)

Good point on wood - may stick with standard trim to lighten it up

I’d still prefer tinted glass as an option, I think the aftermarket ones are ‘stick on’ that don’t look too good

I didn’t realise the SE doesn’t have fog lights... so may need to have these and bin the high beam assist

I’d still prefer the folding seats, but could compromise on this.Does the standard car come with a ski hatch (on the configurator, £75 seems to give you just a bag)

I’d also really like the camera (had one on my old Jag XF and was great)

Alternatively, I could just blow the £40k limit, but the additional road tax is annoying and it’s good to have some kind of budget or I’d completely max out on options!

Keep the ideas comming

Cheers,

Wels

High beam assist out for me.  On other cars for me its more of a hindrance than a help and with xenons probably even worse - mine used to turn down late and annoy other drivers or reflect off road signs and turn themselves down, and that was just with halogens! 

I'd prefer factory tinted glass but a decent tint place i used did a really good job aftermarket with no complaints from me plus you can always choose a slightly darker tint for the rear screen if you prefer. Saving on road tax will pay for it in one year.

Id be looking at a way to add the advanced audio or HK if possible, and folding rear seats adds a massive practicality boost i couldn't do without. 

Edited by SuperDave

I would:
* get rid of the wood inlays (the reflections in the glossy wood trim would drive me bonkers :))

* remove high beam assist

* drop the 18" wheels upgrade, buy a set on ebay for about the same price and sell the standard wheels it came with (or use them to put winter-tires on)

that gives you about £1500 left to play with

175 should go to the fog lights

375 to the reversing camera

275 to lumbar support

and then either 395 to the advanced sound system, or if like me you don't care about a sound-system in your car, 475 to sport seats

:)

I did exactly this when I ordered mine:

520d SE

Sophisto Grey Xirallic

Harman Kardon

Elec Lumbar Support 

I sacrificed the bigger wheels for that Xirallic paint and I don’t regret it actually - the colour is lovely and the ride is sublime (18s come with run flats). I’d avoid the flat black, it doesn’t look great at all. 

The silver very trim is also really nice in the flesh, so I’d save your money there.

Windows - again I had mine tinted for £160 by a reputable company and they’ve done a great job. 

Folding seats definitely a good addition, just I’d never really need them. 

93A025E6-B222-4F7F-9CC0-1D5C23ED1FFA.jpeg

It's your money spend it on what matters to you, not us lot!!!

Seriously, if it was my money - I'd be ditching the wood and high beam assist (agree it's just waste) - then add in a decent sound system.

What do you need fog lights for in this country, don't have severe fog that warrants it!

Thanks everyone - very helpful.

I was thinking about the on the road costs and wondered if I could stretch out a little more of the important options budget to keep me under the additional rate surcharge. Bear with me on this...

The on the road charge is £990, but the P11d value is £260 less (I assume for the first reg fee and VED)

delivery £705

number plates £25

first reg fee £55

first year VED £205

Is it correct that I can therefore spec the car up to the P11d value  i.e £40,260 (rather than £40,000)  ? Every extra option counts!

Anyone know?

Edited by Welsley

I'd suspect it's £40k, but I don't know.

17 hours ago, Hybrid5 said:

I would:
* get rid of the wood inlays (the reflections in the glossy wood trim would drive me bonkers :))

* remove high beam assist

* drop the 18" wheels upgrade, buy a set on ebay for about the same price and sell the standard wheels it came with (or use them to put winter-tires on)

I bought a set of 684 wheels, with new (200 mile) tyres for £800....

The only 'must' on your original list (in my opinion) is folding rear seats. 

Not that you can have them all, but the reverse camera, audio upgrade, sports seats, privacy glass, metallic paint, lumbar and fogs all have merit.

If it were me, I'd have:

- Metallic - I like the grey
- BMW Advanced Loudspeaker
- Lumber support
- Steering wheel heating (it's the best thing in winter)

- Headlining anthracite 
- 12v power sockets
- Reverse Camera
Overall list price.......  £40,000  :shock:

Remember also that value is based on registration and not on order value. You might want to be aware of delivery date and any potential BMW increases.

I was a few hundred under on order and tens under on registration on my 520i.

Good luck

2 hours ago, saintalan said:

Remember also that value is based on registration and not on order value. You might want to be aware of delivery date and any potential BMW increases.

Great point. I was speaking to a broker earlier and he mentioned the same thing.

He also mentioned that a new build is starting from August (for approx October delivery) with a model that has slightly improved emmissions. I am trying to investigate this a bit more - I guess it’s the 2019 model year. If this is the case - I will wait to make sure I’m in that build. 

Remember that prices can go up in what will be Quarter 3 of the year and you won’t be able to order now for a September delivery 

Edited by sjak92

23 hours ago, Welsley said:

Thanks everyone - very helpful.

I was thinking about the on the road costs and wondered if I could stretch out a little more of the important options budget to keep me under the additional rate surcharge. Bear with me on this...

The on the road charge is £990, but the P11d value is £260 less (I assume for the first reg fee and VED)

delivery £705

number plates £25

first reg fee £55

first year VED £205

Is it correct that I can therefore spec the car up to the P11d value  i.e £40,260 (rather than £40,000)  ? Every extra option counts!

Anyone know?

This is political madness at his best. No one understand exactly. I contacted the genius on BMW configurator. After 30 Mns contacting his manager, he could not confirm exactly.

Mind you... This is nothing compared the pension tax relief rules.... The poeple who dream these rules should be shot.

I am still digging around at the price at which the £40k VED surcharge kicks in.

What Car says:

“Cars that cost more than £40,000 and are registered on or after April 1, 2017 will be subject to higher rates of VED in years two to six. The increased cost will be £310 a year, so the standard rate of VED for cars costing more than £40,000 will be £450 per year.

The law defines the price as the car’s list price, so any discount you are able to negotiate won’t affect the car’s VED band. The list price is the price of the car before the ‘on-the-road’ charges are added, such as a delivery charge, new vehicle registration fee, numberplates and fuel.”

Official government paper (confirms it’s the list price)

“For post March 2017 registered LPVs with a list price above £40,000, the applicable annual VED is increased by £310 per year for licences acquired during for the first five years after the first vehicle licence. “

(LPV is light private vehicle).

Therefore, you should be able to spec up to £40,990, given that £990 is the on the road charge.

If I have this right, then I can spec another nearly £1k of options without incurring the extra tax!

Edited by Welsley

When you go on the BMW configurator, the price you will see up top after VAT is the List Price. that is what you stick to.

In all fairness, I was kicking myself about the Extra VED when ordering my 520D in M Sport trim. Pricing then meant that without any options, it was about £400 price below the VEd limit. 

If you manage to get a decent enough discount then screw the VED. My renewal just came in, it works out to £39.38 a month - probably less than most peoples phone contract. 

Might as well add some creature comforts i though. Specced it up with an extra £5k worth of options. 

I had the same problem. Osbourne has a lot to answer for and now he rakes it in despite his ludicrous decision. How can a sub 40k v8 polluting Mustang be cheaper to tax than a 45k 530e? Totally illogical. Anyway I so wanted head up, hk stereo, sports seats and variable dampers I chose black paint and standard wheels. I also added high beam assist, fog lights (why are these not standard) and folding/dipping mirrors. List price just under 40k by about £25 at the time. When I ordered my car in March 17 no one had a clue especially the dealer. Your delivery charge will add to the list price so that counts as well :-(.    As does any ceramic coatings they put on. Service packages are not liable to the 40k calculation so you can have them and not worry (checked with dvla before agreeing to them). First registration fee, road tax, plates and fuel don’t count either. I couldn’t bear paying £450 a year for the pleasure of driving one of the most efficient diesel luxury cars on the road. I’d rather go big (540) and be screwed than go small and still get the same pubishment! Pity my budget couldn’t stretch to the 6 cylinder though

I am now pretty decided on spec and am close to ‘pressing the button’ on an order for a 520D.

I am just having a last minute wobble about the old diesel vs petrol debate. I currently do 10k to 12k miles mainly motorway and my last 4 cars have been diesel. 

I’m not sure the financial benefits are so great at that mileage, although I do prefer the torque and performance of a diesel.

You can’t get away from the negative publicity thought (even as we all know latest EU6 diesels are very clean)

Anyone run a 520i? Swapped from a 520D Any regrets and how’s the economy? 

Edited by Welsley

I switched to a G30 520i from an E60 (12 year old) 525d.

No doubting the Diesel torque up a hill but I don't need it the E60 sounded like a tractor and I am really happy with the 520i and figure my next change (probably 2-4 years)  would be to a Hybrid or depending on many factors an all electric.

Just get the spec you want!

Cheers

Alan

My personal opinion, BMW diesel engines are fantastic, and still desirable and likely for some years yet.  In the BMW magazine this month an interesting article with BMW still committed to Diesel engines, development and future innovation.  I did try to find it online, but does not appear in the online version, maybe print only.

Maybe bias as I'm cruising with black smoke in a 6 pot diesel... Brmmmm