Sign in to follow this  
duncan-uk

Touring airbags and SLS

First question - Sport touring and SE touring airbags are different right?

Reason i ask is car sits fine and i've never had cause to worry but two or three times its thrown an SLS inactive message but swith off and on and its gone.

Occasionally if sat in the car it can feel like it drops an 1" (feel not visible) and maybe its looked odd parked occasionally but again that could be on oddly cambered roads.

That said generally SLS issues are airbag related - is that right?

Or is it worth sourcing a compressor/ tank - just in case?

You mention oddly cambered roads. My driveway drops downwards and to the left as the car drives onto it. Every once in a while, months apart, if I took a while to get the car over this odd angled threshold it would pop up a "self-level inactive" error on the dash which would clear. I think the vehicle weight was concentrated on one back wheel and it didn't lift in a way the control module thought it should do. I never found a hard fault code and it remained otherwise 100% reliable for a further 10 years and 90k miles ownership. So the system isn't without bugs!

I always have issues with my SLS if I park on uneven ground.. like one rear wheel in a pothole and the other not. The system will basically keep inflating the system, then deflating, inflating, deflating for a couple of minutes until it gives up. It happens surprisingly often and is sodding irritating!! 

As said, SE and Sport airbags are different lengths.

Does it ping a fault code?

There's a compressor rebuild kit available, which includes a new piston ring. I did that on my silver 530d and it made quite a difference! Don't think that would be your issue, but worth doing as maintenance.

Do you have a link dan? As said not sure I actually have an issue but tim breaking the touring made me think about getting the compressor and tank "in stock"