d_a_n1979

E39 BBK - who's done one and what are your thoughts?

Who on here (M5s included) has done a BBK and which one?

I'm seriously considering one a) for better braking and b.) to fill out the back on my 19" alloys ;):lol: 

I've had K-Sport kits before on a few previous cars and found them to be very good and worked very well with OEM rear brake set-ups; however, the ECS BMW BBK kit they offer across the pond (c£1350) looks very interesting too and comes with everything needed to fit straight onto an E39

So, any thoughts from those that have gone down this route?

Cheers 

2 minutes ago, Qasimahmed said:

I've been considering using E38 4 pot Brembos with E46 M3 discs using these adapters. 

https://www.epytec.de/en/brake-system/adapters/2588/bmw-e39-e38-brembo-brake-caliper-adapter-e46-m3-brake-disc-325x28

That is an option and I'm sure it'll work out cheaper than a BBK. 

If they're made for the E46 M3, would they fit an E39?!

I've had these brakes before on a previous E38; the calipers were replaced twice due to them cracking around the brake line connection area and know a few others that have had similar issues

Great when they work, but they do seem to be getting more fragile in their older age!

Dan, what sort of size are you looking for? I have a few suppliers for big brake kits, Ksport, PB, Brembo etc. 356x32 or 380x32mm discs would certainly fill a 19 inch wheel. I can get these from PB with 6 pot or 8 pot calipers (356mm I can get in 6 or 8 pot, 380mm is 8 pot only) If you're interested let me know and I can put a price together and get you some more details.

18 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Dan, what sort of size are you looking for? I have a few suppliers for big brake kits, Ksport, PB, Brembo etc. 356x32 or 380x32mm discs would certainly fill a 19 inch wheel. I can get these from PB with 6 pot or 8 pot calipers (356mm I can get in 6 or 8 pot, 380mm is 8 pot only) If you're interested let me know and I can put a price together and get you some more details.

Thanks pal

Just come across the PB ones and they look to be well made and at the cheaper end of the scale too! They do a 4 and 6 pot which would be more than adequate IMO

Brembo are far too pricy; so they're out and K-Sport; been there/done that, so would like to look into different options, but they're not ruled out

Some prices for the PB and K-Sport would be appreciated, so feel free to PM me whenever. This is something I'm not rushing into, but will probably sort before summer kicks in

21 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Thanks pal

Just come across the PB ones and they look to be well made and at the cheaper end of the scale too! They do a 4 and 6 pot which would be more than adequate IMO

Brembo are far too pricy; so they're out and K-Sport; been there/done that, so would like to look into different options, but they're not ruled out

Some prices for the PB and K-Sport would be appreciated, so feel free to PM me whenever. This is something I'm not rushing into, but will probably sort before summer kicks in

No problem, I'll see what I can sort out. PB stuff is very good quality, and Dan their sales director really knows his stuff.Far more so than people from other companies I've spoken to!

Fitted BMW PBK to E39 M5 over three years ago.

Considerably better than stock with easily sourced discs, pads.

BMW PBK gets a bad rap because the discs are slightly smaller in diameter and thinner than the M5 original.

I've not seen anyone with the E39 M5 who has had any issues with them in over 5 years.

Edited by Hakon
duh

23 minutes ago, Hakon said:

Fitted BMW PBK to E39 M5 over three years ago.

Considerably better than stock with easily sourced discs, pads.

BMW PBK gets a bad rap because the discs are slightly in diameter smaller and thinner than the M5 original.

I've not seen anyone with the E39 M5 who has had any issues with them in over 5 years.

Any pictures? ;) 

Where did you source yours from as well; and was it just calipers and you had to faff getting brackets and lines made etc, or did it comes as a full plug n play kit?

Edited by d_a_n1979

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:59 AM, d_a_n1979 said:

Who on here (M5s included) has done a BBK and which one?

I'm seriously considering one a) for better braking and b.) to fill out the back on my 19" alloys ;):lol: 

I've had K-Sport kits before on a few previous cars and found them to be very good and worked very well with OEM rear brake set-ups; however, the ECS BMW BBK kit they offer across the pond (c£1350) looks very interesting too and comes with everything needed to fit straight onto an E39

So, any thoughts from those that have gone down this route?

Cheers 

Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-530i-M54_3.0L/Braking/Big_Brakes/

Can't see anything for c.£1350 on here. They look lovely though. I would get the silver calipers.

1 hour ago, drpep999 said:

Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-530i-M54_3.0L/Braking/Big_Brakes/

Can't see anything for c.£1350 on here. They look lovely though. I would get the silver calipers.

These: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assembled-by-ecs-parts/ecs-6-piston-front-big-brake-kit-338x26/000249ecs02kt/

Works out around £1350 without delivery/taxes

Hi Dan,

Replied quickly yesterday on your other forum thread!

I'd estimate shipping would come in at around the equivalent of about £175-200 inclusive of full value insurance. So a rough ballpark figure landed at your door would be about the £1925-1975 level inclusive of all taxes & clearance fees. Is the rear kit about the same price? if so, then you'll be looking at around the £4000 level for front and rear. 

I'm most likely going for the K Sport route when it comes time to get a BBK. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Not bothering with rears; simply not worth it IMO

More aggressive pads and grooved discs will be on order though

I don't think the overall price will be that high; having had lots of car parts and hifi goods from the States at a similar costing, it's never cost that much. I'm hoping that they may do me a favour and mark it as a gift, but will see what they say when they come back to me

Haven't ruled K-Sport out, but PB brakes are more favourable currently. All depends on UK stocks of K-sport as if they're not in stick, the waiting times can be stupid!

I have the k-sport kit fitted to my m5 and the only word of advise I can say about them is don’t go for the k-sport pads as they are shit apart from that no complaints at all.

1 minute ago, robsey29 said:

I have the k-sport kit fitted to my m5 and the only word of advise I can say about them is don’t go for the k-sport pads as they are shit apart from that no complaints at all.

Yup; had them before too

I'd be going for EBC Yellowstuff probably

Did you have pad fitment issues though with non K-Sport pads as I did initially on one of my Integra DC5s

PBMW kit from ECS out of the listing now unfortunately :( Looks like they wouldn't be able to ship until mid to late September, no idea why, but that's what they've emailed me with :roll: 

3 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Yup; had them before too

I'd be going for EBC Yellowstuff probably

Did you have pad fitment issues though with non K-Sport pads as I did initially on one of my Integra DC5s

Exactly what I have just brought the yellow stuff pads will be fitting them in the next couple of weeks so I will let you know.

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Not bothering with rears; simply not worth it IMO

More aggressive pads and grooved discs will be on order though

I don't think the overall price will be that high; having had lots of car parts and hifi goods from the States at a similar costing, it's never cost that much. I'm hoping that they may do me a favour and mark it as a gift, but will see what they say when they come back to me

Haven't ruled K-Sport out, but PB brakes are more favourable currently. All depends on UK stocks of K-sport as if they're not in stick, the waiting times can be stupid!

Hi Dan,

Do keep in mind that deliberately marking items as a gift when they aren't is illegal and also, it's meant to be from a personal person to another personal person i.e not from a company to a person. It's unlikely a US company will mark an item in such a way as the risk of being shutdown is high. In the same manner, putting a lower amount for the items worth to avoid or reduce taxes/duties is also illegal. I think 'some' companies might do either of the above if based in a country where the legal system is robust. I know that other places where the legal system isn't so robust this kind of thing happens all the time!

A bit of a guestimate for the shipping in so far as I based it on a package weighing around 45KG, fully insured for £1350 worth of goods and about 50x50x50cm so as to allow for plenty of packing material inside. 

Cheers, Dennis!

1 hour ago, Qasimahmed said:

Thanks... Would rather buy from a warrantied seller than someone off the Bay of E with no accountability or fallback whatsoever 

Look good, but I’m in no rush and not risking £1400 etc

43 minutes ago, kobayashi said:

I fitted a Stoptech BBK to the front of my M5 a few years ago. No complaints at all with it. Replacement discs are expensive though. 

I had Stoptech on my last charged Integra DC5; superb and I'd highly recommend them to anyone for an aggressive road and track car; but their price and capabilities are simply overkill for my current needs