wozzer

Aftermarket Facia Problems. Sat/Nav to single DIN

So I decided to take the plunge and remove the sat/nav/tv/cassette/changer as channels were down on the amp and can't connect to ipod etc.

Went to Car Audio Security in Hayes, with the car and explained it was a sat nav vehicle etc.

They sold me a single din stereo (I didnt want to start cutting up the air box behind the dash) and a facia and said it would all fit fine.

So yesterday I fitted the loom etc and the stereo works and its great to have bluetooth music/phone and DAB.

However the facia leaves about a 10mm gap at the top and also has no clips or tabs to attach to the dash.

The company are saying (now) that its the correct facia (well it cant be can it) and I need to make an infill?????? How bobbins would that look!!!!

It would still be unconnected to the car anyhow.

It seems non sat nav cars have a flap above. Whilst it would probavbly fit one of those cars, still no attachments or clips.

Does anyone know of a facia that fits sat nav cars and that can be actually attached to the dash?

Thanks

2002 E39 530i M sport

Edited by wozzer

It is the correct fascia, but IIRC they're designed for the cars that had the OEM cassette player in, so the flap is meant to be left in situ :( 

Unless you can find the rare OEM single DIN fascia like I have, I don't think any aftermarket ones fit like they should, unless that flap is left in place

There are double din headunits that fit with no need to cut the airbox etc... I'm sure @DennisCooper will be along to advise better

Or have a look in the Audio/Nav section further down the home page

I just fitted one of these, they are awesome, nice easy  fit, no cutting, no cage, no extra wiring, connects to existing connectors, plug and play. Very nice sound improvement with the stock speakers.

I chose the iGo sat nav. Bluetooth pairs with Android and iPhone no problem. The Torque app for OBD2 diagnostics is standard. You can set the BMW logo as the start screen screen so it looks OEM.

Customer service at AudioTech Direct in N. Wales is excellent. Highly recommended.

https://audiotechdirect.com/pba-bm5839b-android-8-after-market-radio-for-bmw-e39-e53/

Here's my install.

20180501_170728.jpg

Edited by Busterbvi

If you mean the on board computer, it works fine, time and date is displayed on the unit and speed warning feature is available on the sat nav, it fully integrates with the cars Canbus system.

Edited by Busterbvi

Thanks Guys,

Buster, I wish I'd seen your system before I took the plunge. I was put off by reports on Chinese replacements but yours looks great.

Anyway I finally sorted it and I can probably dispel some myths that I was told by the first stereo shop.

If you have a sat nav car you need the double din Connects2 facia kit (CT24BM08).

The frame screws directly into where the old sat nav frame is. 

You may not be able to fit the cage (I counldn'tas a touch too tall) so secured the system with some shims I made that are hidden. 

You do not need to cut the air box.

With this facia you can fit a full size (is a bit tight so test fit the one you buy) double DIN system.

Thanks Wozzer, Yes I am very pleased with it, I have had one in my other car, a Focus for a year and others I know of have had no problems at all. Mine is an Erisin unit from ATD in N.Wales.

It appears to me that all these Chinese units come out of the same factory, the chassis and software is all the same, brands like Xtrons, Eonon, Erisin, Secaine etc put their own facia's on.

Unfortunately they got a bad rep due to poor customer service from crappy suppliers that, thankfully, have gone out of business. I prefer the OEM look of these units as I am not keen on the

'Disco' look of Panasonic, Sony, Alpine etc. I would highly recommend these units to anyone looking to upgrade to an Android system and the customer service at AudioTech Direct is excellent.

Edited by Busterbvi