d_a_n1979

BBC report on speeding and using local man-power

IMO this is great and should be encouraged more, but the general consensus is that 9/10 clearly don't give a shit and will do 30+ through 20mph zones because they're self important and far too busy to care etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-43841859

Where I live, every road for around 1mile in every direction, is 20mph as it's all residential and with 2 schools and x2 churches, but even parents that drop their kids off have been caught doing 35/40+ in the 20mph zones, because they're running late... Arseholes! The other motorists just use the roads as cut-throughs instead of going down the bypass or main roads etc

Should be instant 3 points & £100 fine IMO and the sooner they enforce the 20mph limit, the better!

I'll get off me soap-box now before I full and hurt me'sel :lol: 

Edited by d_a_n1979

Looks a good project and possibly will cut speed in built up areas. Motorway driving is shocking at the moment with people cutting you up just to get one car length ahead and I've had countless people cut across me at the slip road exit!

Towing a caravan this past Sunday (OK, I know that's me thrown out of the Forum!) and doing 55-60 mph along the inside lane of the M90 I was actually undertaken on the hard shoulder by an artic doing around 70, who proceeded to give me a blast of his air horns for good measure. and scared the crap out of my wife. She called the police to report him with details of the company and the registration of the vehicle only to be told there was nothing they could or would do and suggested we contact the company directly!

So, if we can't report dangerous driving to the police what is the point of encouraging private individuals to be vigilante?

6 minutes ago, pauliexjr said:

Towing a caravan this past Sunday (OK, I know that's me thrown out of the Forum!) and doing 55-60 mph along the inside lane of the M90 I was actually undertaken on the hard shoulder by an artic doing around 70, who proceeded to give me a blast of his air horns for good measure. and scared the crap out of my wife. She called the police to report him with details of the company and the registration of the vehicle only to be told there was nothing they could or would do and suggested we contact the company directly!

So, if we can't report dangerous driving to the police what is the point of encouraging private individuals to be vigilante?

Unfortunate as that situation was, it was a one off

If things that like that are stereotyped, it'll never get dealt with

It's looking at the bigger picture and getting it managed that way, that'll start to see issues like this being sorted

Traffic cameras and in-car cameras will help too, but not everyone will do that etc

Hi Dan, I agree wholeheartedly, but when the police themselves say they are powerless to do anything / not interested it kind of makes you question the system!

If I had been pootling along in the outside lane and causing an obstruction to other road users I could understand the undertaking manouver, but this guy was just doing it out of badness (there was no other traffic in the outside lane and he could easily have passed us safely) and before anyone says he's not allowed in the outside lane, the M90 is only a glorified duel-carriageway, not a three-lane motorway.

He was breaking the speed limit and driving in a manner likely to endanger life i.e. dangerously, but the police were not interested, so where do we go from there?

We too have reported an HGV who was driving in a manner reminiscent of duel in heavy traffic closely tailgating a small hatch back mere feet from the bumper speeding up and slowing down in a very menacing way he was then behind us and at one point tried to force us off the road, again the police recorded it in case something else happened further down the road but were quite disinterested. Though of course i'm not sure what they could do.

Where i live the road is passable one car at a time because of the width and parked cars both sides. its also possible to use it as a cut through - i've seen many cars scream down there - lots of families with kids, dogs, a school too and ive remonstrated with a few in the past and made conscious effort to slow people down standing in the road - once i was told "its a 30 limit" i retorted like my father with "its a limit not a target" this nearly ended in an altercation as they got out the car swearing and shouting however two of my neighbours came out too and they skulked off but unless there is an incident, the likelihood of getting caught is so low and i don't think some people just don't consider they are doing anything wrong.

2 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

"unless there is an incident, the likelihood of getting caught is so low and i think some people just don't consider they are doing anything wrong."

This!! ^^^^^

50 minutes ago, pauliexjr said:

As some of you may know that my mrs was hit by an uninsured driver. We found the car and it was parked on a public road uninsured. I reported this to the police to have the vehicle taken of the road, the police didn't do anything. So I took this matter further to a sergeant, who said its against their policy to take uninsured cars off the road that are parked on a public road, they can only do this if the car is being driven uninsured, when I asked isn't still again the law to have a uninsured car parked on the road? 

The sergeant replied...Yes, but its not in their policy. 

Anyways, a month on from the uninsured hit and run incident, the car is still being driven around uninsured, with several sightings from different people (even people from this forum), yet despite the police saying the number plate is registered on the APR system, the car hasn't even been stopped once. 

Police also haven't bothered to look into any CCTV evidence. 

So IMO forgot the police, they are useless. Do what you can yourself!  Also what is the point in making the law to be insured? if its not even enforced.  

^^^

Understand what you're saying, and in your situation, the police have been shit and that's not good. But, did you take it further up the chain, if not, why?

The police are not useless, but like with any business/service, there are good and there are bad

Another example of something being stereotyped. However, I do fully understand why.

However, my post was not to start a 'police bashing' topic, it was about the stupid speeding drivers that don't give a shit about where they drive, how they drive or what speeds they drive at...

48 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

^^^

Understand what you're saying, and in your situation, the police have been shit and that's not good. But, did you take it further up the chain, if not, why?

The police are not useless, but like with any business/service, there are good and there are bad

Another example of something being stereotyped. However, I do fully understand why.

However, my post was not to start a 'police bashing' topic, it was about the stupid speeding drivers that don't give a shit about where they drive, how they drive or what speeds they drive at...

I respect what you are saying about starting a "police bash topic",  I just followed suit and saw as a good opportunity to rant.  My experience of the police has been useless, and I have tried taking further up the chain, but I will pm you with I have done, as I don't want to give to much away. 

Most police are good and decent people.  Its the austerity cuts by this tragic Government that makes the police inadequate to look into low level crime.   Scares me that a private security firm is calling themselves a 'Private Police Force' who protect the rich; but the poor in London who can't afford a pot to wee in are being killed daily.  I've been political homeless for sometime because no party cares about us, and are either opportunist or just incompetent.  

Anyway camera vans especially on Motorways or the A1M are just a tax that gives you 3 points.  I therefore will rather recieve warning letter, and not get stop by traffic police for speeding.  We need traffic police and community volunteers to stop bad driving  - and dangerous speed at the wrong time and place.    

You can report a driving offence as a section 59. If enough reports are logged against said vehicle due to the way its being driven, the Police can seize the vehicle.

Section 59 allows the police to give drivers a warning if they are reported to have used their vehicle in a manner which causes "alarm, distress or annoyance

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/30/section/59https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2002/30/section/59

Edit: & if the driving is happening live as is dangerous (such as mentioned above) it warrants enough weight for a 999 call rather than a 111 report.

Edited by dj1233