Sign in to follow this  
Hudds.taz

Garage turning off gps tracking

Hi Guys, I’m on Holiday in Cornwall and my comfort access has start playing up (boot randomly opening) I dropped my car off at the only BMW garage in Cornwall for them

to look at it but they have turned off the GPS tracking so I can’t see where it is. My question is, is this normal and should I just not worry or should I mention it when I pick it up? Also what sort of distance is “normal” to test the car?

Frankly I’d ring them and instruct them to turn it on again immediately. There can be no reason for it to be turned off unless the default position is off and they have reset the system in an attempt to cure the fault. 

Absolutely should be on if left on. Too many times have I heard of staff turning it off and taking car for joyride or even home for the night.

34 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

GPS tracking and locking status has been down all day . Very strange, its usually pretty reliable

Mine has been off since I dropped it off and still off now! I’m coming back from Jersey tomorrow so will be straight back to garage Thursday. 

I remember seeing the wifes e39 pelting down the motorway one morning while allegedly being repaired by our "approved" local dealer. Final straw in me pulling the car out and ultimately forcing them to pay for the repairs to be redone by Williams in liverpool. 

Be checking the mileage increase shown. 

Years ago I nearly pulled out on an Astra gte 16v the driver called me all sorts, reason I pulled partially out was I didn't see he was going so fast in a 30 zone, he must have been double. 

Long story short it was a good friends old man's car that was in the vauxhall dealer for a service! Long before dashcams etc. But he caused a stink 

1 hour ago, Yokozuna said:

7 miles to test if the boot stays shut......

:? 

Yes, but they could easily have said go and drive this for 15 mins and see if the boot opens to one of the service monkeys, and he probably would have done, quite happily. 

11 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Yes, but they could easily have said go and drive this for 15 mins and see if the boot opens to one of the service monkeys, and he probably would have done, quite happily. 

I know how garages work as I was part of one for a few years! 

My point being that I think 7 miles is a little ott? Maybe it’s just me? But I’d of thought half that was sufficient? I suppose they could say they drove it on “test” for 2 miles and nothing happened so they took it a little longer and so on, just to “make sure” it worked....

;) 

24 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

I know how garages work as I was part of one for a few years! 

My point being that I think 7 miles is a little ott? Maybe it’s just me? But I’d of thought half that was sufficient? I suppose they could say they drove it on “test” for 2 miles and nothing happened so they took it a little longer and so on, just to “make sure” it worked....

;) 

I told them the boot only opens once it’s been locked and never opened while driving it so I didn’t see the need for the test drive and to turn the gps off has really annoyed me. I’m looking forward to chatting with them on Thursday 

They will tell you they “need” to road test every car that has work done to it.....

I would play hell with them! Like go for a free service on top of the free labor that they will give you! 

Regarding the GPS thing, it might be an issue with the network? But even so I wouldn’t say anything about being on the greatest BMW forum in the world! ;) and state how convenient it was the network went “down” just as your car was in their care.....

they will try an fob you off, try and speak to the dealer principal (if he’s not playing golf) if things don’t go to plan! Then if no luck there it’s BMW UK 

;) 

Sti

14 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

Server Maintenance evidently :rolleyes:

Still not working. Is the server really down or is it a fault with the car

If this keeps up I'll have to take it in

1 hour ago, Carrera77 said:

Sti

So it’s possible the garage hasn’t turned off the gps tracking 

2 minutes ago, Hudds.taz said:

So it’s possible the garage hasn’t turned off the gps tracking 

well its been down for me for the past 24 hours, and I haven't been near a garage. i was just wondering whether anybody is in that situation. 

Edited by Carrera77

11 minutes ago, Coops said:

Appears to be working ok in Connected Drive for me.

Solved the problem. I logged into connected drive and OK'd the new terms and conditions.  :lol:

Apparently it had suspended GPS tracking till I did so 

6 minutes ago, Hudds.taz said:

Ahhh that might be my problem it’s all the EUGDPR stuff 

I'm not sure why it should shut down services like that.  And the deadline is the 25th of May

10 hours ago, Carrera77 said:

Sti

Log into The portal again and accept the new T&C’s then you’ll get access - all linked to the new data protection legislation. 

My Portal and App had stuck for the last two days - despite logging on and off after accepting the new terms on the Portal - nothing moved and I was still in the middle of Birmingham!.

It then occurred to me that I hadn't driven it - a quick drive round the block and everything is sorted again!