Sign in to follow this  
amazighman

How accurate is an E39 fuel gauge

Hi,

I did notice that my fuel gauge is quite inaccurate , i did fill up more than half a tank , my trip computer shows that i have 185 miles worth of fuel . i parked that car and came next day , the fuel gauge has dropped a bit , ignored that and went for  a 60 miles drive, came back and left car overnight , next morning fuel gauge is just over quarter of a tank , drove around and this morning it is below a quarter of a tank but trip computer shows i have 118 miles worth of fuel, also noticed that the fuel gauge does creep up a bit after driving.

is this a normal reading or it  is my fuel level senders playing up or this is an E39 normal behaviour?

cheers

My previous E39 528i Sport had an issue with the fuel gauge. It wouldn't read accurately at a certain point in the fuel gauge.

Also, if the fuel tank was in the reserve and I refueled less than 20 or so liters, the fuel gauge wouldn't move off the reserve for 10+ miles, despite me knowing I'd put in around 20 liters (did this as a test).

There is a hidden menu that you can access on your OBC which shows how much fuel is being measured in your tank. It may be that if you refuel and one of the measurements doesn't increase, there is an issue with a fuel level sender (think there are two).

Go on YouTube and search BMW E39 Low OBC hidden menu (or high) and look at setting number 6 which shows fuel levels measured by sender.

Edited by stu08

1 hour ago, stu08 said:

Go on YouTube and search BMW E39 Low OBC hidden menu (or high) and look at setting number 6 which shows fuel levels measured by sender.

i believe i have got issues with the senders....anyone ever changed them?

I think my issue was even on a full tank, one of the sides measured 000 whilst the other measured the correct number. What's yours doing?

1 hour ago, stu08 said:

I think my issue was even on a full tank, one of the sides measured 000 whilst the other measured the correct number. What's yours doing?

i didnt use the secret obc menu yet , it is just my fuel level seems to drop rather quick but my trip computer seems to show fine

I put 74L of V power into a 70L tank and the reserve light wasn't on.

I went straight into the French petrol station and told them pump was rigged and I was calling the Police ! Duh

In fact the second sender had failed. The OBC helped to confirm this.

Straight forward change of the sender but I found it really difficult to remove the petrol tank access lid, virtually destroying the cap in the process.

This what i found using secret obc.

I guess my LH sender is assuming that Left sensor by looking from front of the car

Does anybody know where to get the left hand sender from? Looked on ECP and it is well over 100 quid for an aftermarket. Not about dealers

IMG20180507120806-1843x1382.jpg

Edited by amazighman

12 minutes ago, Hakon said:

I paid £87.97 in  09/2017 for the non fuel pump side sensor for an E39 M5.   From Cheltenam BMW

Thats very expensive.

Which side is left? Is it uk driver side or passenger?

This support ring is missing from all BMW parts diagrams

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/supporting-ring/16141182903/

Part No. 16 14 1 182 903  

This plastic ring is situated beneath Part No. 4 as  described above.

I destroyed this in the removal as well as part No. 4.  

Undoing the metal ring was far more difficult than the internet guides would let me believe. The rest was straight a forward swap.

Edited by Hakon