McBeemer

Castrol Edge cheap in Tesco

Picked a couple of the attached up in Tesco - Longlife L04 approved. £11 for 4 litres! Must be a pricing error but worth a mooch in your local Tesco.

F96E1835-1F03-4750-9F77-7D9C3AA9E8A6.jpeg

10 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

You obviously aren't in Scotland where such offers are not allowed anymore.......

No sir! ;) 

I might open a cash and carry just on the border so all you Scott’s can get more of your poison for cheap! You know like when you get off the Euro tunnel ;) 

Last week a Asda store was selling the same grade as the one mentioned above cheap, I nearly purchased it untill I saw the grade of the oil, perhaps castrol has a lot of that grade they want to knock out cheap, my F11 I have always used Castrol Edge 0w 30 but I was told by a Independant BMW garage owner 5W 30 is better.I dont know if other owners F10/F11 have heard the same.

18 minutes ago, Raymond said:

It'll not make it to the border if you're in control you drunken bum.... :mrgreen:

When he’s right he’s right....

:lol: 

Keep up @sshooie, that was Mondays joke! ;)

But having just done our Tesco shop online, no oil available, Tesco have put up my beer by a whole 12pence despite it being above the minimum pricing limit already. I wouldn't mind the minimum pricing if the extra cash it raised didn't go to the retailers but to where it's actually needed.

1 hour ago, Oilburner said:

Last week a Asda store was selling the same grade as the one mentioned above cheap, I nearly purchased it untill I saw the grade of the oil, perhaps castrol has a lot of that grade they want to knock out cheap, my F11 I have always used Castrol Edge 0w 30 but I was told by a Independant BMW garage owner 5W 30 is better.I dont know if other owners F10/F11 have heard the same.

Any idea why he thinks 5W30 is "better"?

BMW's badged oil for our cars is 0W30. I've just had this decision dilemma and purchased Shell Helix ECT C3 5W30 for an intermediate oil change I did back in February. The difference between 0W30 and 5W30 is the oil's viscosity when the oil is cold so aiding cold starting and providing as immediate lubrication as possible when the car is cold. At 100 degrees both oils act identically. When talking about cold, we are talking well below freezing, and how often in the UK (depending where you are @535i Andrew) do temperatures drop so dramatically that the 0W or 5W becomes of consequence? I have to say though, this was my first intermediate oil change since owning the car (7 years), I put the 5W30 oil in the car and the next week went on holiday to France where, on the first night stop over, the temperature hit -13 degrees. Let's just say I was a little worried about the change in oil but all seems fine. 

13 hours ago, McBeemer said:

Picked a couple of the attached up in Tesco - Longlife L04 approved. £11 for 4 litres! Must be a pricing error but worth a mooch in your local Tesco.

F96E1835-1F03-4750-9F77-7D9C3AA9E8A6.jpeg

That is cheap.. but is it low ash oil for DPF

7 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

When talking about cold, we are talking well below freezing, and how often in the UK (depending where you are @535i Andrew) do temperatures drop so dramatically that the 0W or 5W becomes of consequence? 

I am used to, and expect that sort of cheek from @sshooie but not from you Sir :P

For the avoidance of doubt the BMW dealers up at this high latitude have used both 0W and 5W oils in my cars over the years.

As long as it meets the spec of LL04, it won't matter!

1 hour ago, paz5432 said:

That is cheap.. but is it low ash oil for DPF

As it meets LL04 it is suitable for use in Diesel BMW engines which have the DPF. Castrol and BMW did have an arrangement where BMW specifically recommend Castrol oil.

Has anyone tried Total INEO?

I have used this oil before and it is very good. Total were the market leader in low SAPS oil.

There are two oils suitable for LL04:

Total Quartz INEO Efficiency 0-30 ACEA C2/C3

Total Quartz INEO Longlife 5/30 ACEA C3

Sorry to go slightly off topic but I do wonder about this LL04 and oil labelling in general business.

I've got a tesco own brand 2L oil container in my garage that says "meets or exceeds the requirements of LL04" and a list of other specs like ACEA and so on. 

The text "the requirements of" sounds to me a bit like "made with 100% chicken breast". It ain't 100% chicken breast.

1 hour ago, Ram Rod said:

Has anyone tried Total INEO?

I have used this oil before and it is very good. Total were the market leader in low SAPS oil.

There are two oils suitable for LL04:

Total Quartz INEO Efficiency 0-30 ACEA C2/C3

Total Quartz INEO Longlife 5/30 ACEA C3

So long as it is one of these it is on the BMW approved list:

Total Quartz INEO MC3 SAE 5W-40 Total
Total Quartz INEO MC3 SAE 5W-30 Total
Total Quartz Ineo Efficiency SAE 0W-30 Total
Total Quartz INEO Long Life SAE 5W-30 Total 

I always wonder when a statement is made like "it is very good" what it means. How does anyone know whether an oil is very good or not as it goes into the sealed engine, is used and then when drained and disposed of it is black so you can't use that to make the judgement. I suppose some laboratory somewhere could analyse the before and after properties of new and used oil but who would go through that process? Just musing out loud here.

Well I was using Total INEO ecs 5//30 in a 2009 Mondeo Titanium x. I was doing extra oil changes myself. The Duratorq engine at that time was derived fron Citroen PSA.

The engine always felt smooth and compared to other similar SAE oils put in for instance at dealer services, the Total liberated more power from the engine. Not a lot, but I did notice it. The engine was Bluefinned.

I p/ex'd the Mondeo when I started having problems with the engine going into limp mode at 127,000 kms. The salesman who sold me the car bought it himself, but it took quite a lot of investigation before the mechanics found the problem was cam sensors. I couldn't be bothered mucking around, so took an S Max they had in the showroom on lease. Shame, because I was going to keep the Mondeo a lot longer.

The salesman had the Mondeo for two years and then bought the S Max off of me. He put another 50,000 kms on it. He then sold the Mondeo off of his forecourt two years ago and the car has over 200,000 kms on it now. No major faults with the engine and still has the original DPF.

Edited by Ram Rod

13 minutes ago, Ram Rod said:

The engine always felt smooth and compared to other similar SAE oils put in for instance at dealer services, the Total liberated more power from the engine. Not a lot, but I did notice it. The engine was Bluefinned.

The Total liberated more power from the engine - Compared to what were you using previously? I'm not convinced the oil used to lubricate the engine internals is going to have much, if any bearing on the power delivered by said engine in a way you can actually feel an increase. 

23 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

I always wonder when a statement is made like "it is very good" what it means. How does anyone know whether an oil is very good or not as it goes into the sealed engine, is used and then when drained and disposed of it is black so you can't use that to make the judgement. I suppose some laboratory somewhere could analyse the before and after properties of new and used oil but who would go through that process? Just musing out loud here.

Exactly. You have to trust the label. You could do an oil analysis (I just did if anyone's interested) but what would that mean anyway?  Two identical engines starting from zero miles running exactly the same loads over 20k miles on a test bed consuming the exact same quality of intake air and then do an oil analysis from the same place on each engine and check for wear metals?

I often felt an improvement after doing an oil change but I think that's a placebo. 

Interestingly direct injection petrol engines are throwing more petrol into the oil so regular oil changes help but modern oils take that into account to some degree anyway.

Matthew - All he did say was its better for the engine but I also believe thats what BMW main dealers use that when sevicing, because when my wifes mini cooper d was serviced under the TLC servicing by a BMW Main Dealer and not by the Mini service department, and because they seriously cocked up by under filling the engine oil, and because I mistrust all garages when I got home with the car which was only about 9 miles or so, I thought I will check the oil level as the car was heading to France the very next morning, good job I did it was below the minimum mark, as it was to late to phone them regarding this issue I just added a little over 1 litre of my Castrol Edge 0W 30 which i had, and thought when we return I will contact them
on our return home I had forgot to contact BMW garage regarding low oil level, but a day later I had another surprise whilst checking the tyre wear and genarly looking over things I noticed that the plastic sump guard / plate was miising underneath, I immediately contacted BMW dealership regarding low oil level & the missing plate, they first gave me the story that their oil is dispensed by a machine and would not give the wrong amount, and the missing sump plate was not there to start with, all of this was a total lie and cover up, luckily our mini and lots of others minis had been invited to a opening of brand new main BMW/ Mini dealership opening with a barbeque laid on, and whilst there they gave all owners the opportunity to give their minis a free inspection on their new ramps also a written report, luckily I asked If I could take some photos of our mini whilst up on the ramp which probaly would not be allowed due to safety, on looking at these photos I had which clearly showed the sump plate on the car, after emailing the manager with photographic proof they then conceded they had made a mistake with the oil level and also a the plastic sump plate was found laying by the technicians bench, they come and picked up the car to refit the plate and when the driver returned he gave me a BMW carrier bag with 2 litres of genuine BMW Oil with guess what 5w 30, so I guess thats the oil they use, but needless to say I would not use that BMW dealership again, luckily they had only done the very first oil change on our F11, and since then all servicing I carry out myself.

Sorry I know this has gone partly off topic but this could be a warning for others to check the dealers standard of work, I was lucky I spotted the oil level was to low before a long touring trip to France.

40 minutes ago, Oilburner said:

Matthew - All he did say was its better for the engine but I also believe thats what BMW main dealers use that when sevicing, because when my wifes mini cooper d was serviced under the TLC servicing by a BMW Main Dealer and not by the Mini service department, and because they seriously cocked up by under filling the engine oil, and because I mistrust all garages when I got home with the car which was only about 9 miles or so, I thought I will check the oil level as the car was heading to France the very next morning, good job I did it was below the minimum mark, as it was to late to phone them regarding this issue I just added a little over 1 litre of my Castrol Edge 0W 30 which i had, and thought when we return I will contact them
on our return home I had forgot to contact BMW garage regarding low oil level, but a day later I had another surprise whilst checking the tyre wear and genarly looking over things I noticed that the plastic sump guard / plate was miising underneath, I immediately contacted BMW dealership regarding low oil level & the missing plate, they first gave me the story that their oil is dispensed by a machine and would not give the wrong amount, and the missing sump plate was not there to start with, all of this was a total lie and cover up, luckily our mini and lots of others minis had been invited to a opening of brand new main BMW/ Mini dealership opening with a barbeque laid on, and whilst there they gave all owners the opportunity to give their minis a free inspection on their new ramps also a written report, luckily I asked If I could take some photos of our mini whilst up on the ramp which probaly would not be allowed due to safety, on looking at these photos I had which clearly showed the sump plate on the car, after emailing the manager with photographic proof they then conceded they had made a mistake with the oil level and also a the plastic sump plate was found laying by the technicians bench, they come and picked up the car to refit the plate and when the driver returned he gave me a BMW carrier bag with 2 litres of genuine BMW Oil with guess what 5w 30, so I guess thats the oil they use, but needless to say I would not use that BMW dealership again, luckily they had only done the very first oil change on our F11, and since then all servicing I carry out myself.

Sorry I know this has gone partly off topic but this could be a warning for others to check the dealers standard of work, I was lucky I spotted the oil level was to low before a long touring trip to France.

How was France? 

Weither it's 5W-30, OW-30 or 5W-40 or 0W-40, will make 

next to no difference in our sumps if the car is used and maintained in a normal way.

If it's driven like its stolen or operates at extreme temperatures then you may need to think about changing your oil.